Thoughts on Columbia MA in Philosophy

TEELI

I applied to their PhD program, was rejected and got referred to their MA admission. While waiting for the MA result, I was wondering if anyone familiar with the program have any thoughts about it. Financially, it's probably not worth the money because of it being non-terminal and unfunded. But how is it academically, and how is the experience like as a MA student? 

8 minutes ago, TEELI said:

Thanks! Is there a reason for not accepting? 

(1) Columbia is a very expensive school and (2) Columbia is, without a doubt, one of the best PhD programs in the world. You're competing for attention with doctoral students. Columbia doesn't often (ever?) accept students from the vast majority of highly-regarded terminal M.A. programs. You'll spend far more to get an M.A. from Columbia than you would at any of the highly regarded terminal M.A. programs - even if you weren't funded at them at all! And you'd get far more attention at those programs as well. What incentive does a faculty member at Columbia have to help you place well, mentor you, etc.? I'm not saying those faculty members are bad people, but that they have a whole crew of doctoral students already! A PhD is often a form of financial suicide to begin with!