Good masters to phd IR prgms USA?

Hamna

Hey, I'm planning to apply to the US pursuing a masters leading to phd program in international relations.

Looking at rankings/ aid etc but getting stuck... can't find enough masters to phs programs.

Any ideas?

Hey, I'm planning to apply to the US pursuing a masters leading to phd program in international relations.

Looking at rankings/ aid etc but getting stuck... can't find enough masters to phs programs.

Any ideas?

Hello and Welcome!

I think your questions depends on a few factors?

Do you need financial aid?

What are your grades/GRE score?

Hello and Welcome!

I think your questions depends on a few factors?

Do you need financial aid?

What are your grades/GRE score?

A lot of funded US programs in IR generally admit students with the intention of getting a PhD. It's a nuanced point but bear this in mind when you apply. A masters component is usually woven in, but its generally a formality for the PhD itself.

Most good programs generally provide funding for international applicants. A good place to start is US News and World Report's Graduate Rankings.

Thanks for the reply,

Well my grades are As in high school, a 3.3 average in university and a GRE 1300... though I'm sitting for it again... and I have two years work experience in journalism..

Most Phd programs I've been looking at list a masters degree as their pre-req, so I'm not sure where I stand.

On 8/2/2010 at 4:18 AM, Hamna said:

Thanks for the reply,

Well my grades are As in high school, a 3.3 average in university and a GRE 1300... though I'm sitting for it again... and I have two years work experience in journalism..

Most Phd programs I've been looking at list a masters degree as their pre-req, so I'm not sure where I stand.

I think there might be some confusion, because very few of the top PhD programs include a Masters as a prerequisite. As was pointed out, during your course of study in a PhD program a student is typically awarded a Masters, but you do not need to have a Masters when you apply for the PhD program.

If you want to be more competitive as a PhD applicant, earning a Masters degree first is a sound option, and gives you the opportunity to establish a stronger academic record. U of Chicago's CIR program is a good example for IR and is known for offering funding to MA students, which is often hard to find.