Which programs are right for me (applying fall 2022)?

grad0

I'm exploring grad programs for Fall 2023 entry and wanted perspective on which programs might be a good fit for me

Questions:

1. What programs might fit my career/grad goals? Is MPP (or related degree) in line with what I'm thinking?

I'm looking at programs now because I'm feeling the desire to explore, develop a network, and define a more concrete direction. I was thinking about public policy programs like MPP at Harvard Kennedy or MPA/MIA/MPA-DP at Columbia SIPA. I'm not interested in the policy space itself, but rather tackling problems that generally fall in the public or social realm (climate change, city innovation, etc). Looking for the following criteria.. 

1. Expansive network of peers and alumni across industries, but with likeminded public/social focus

2. Internationally-focused. Not as interested in domestic policy or programming.

3. Focus on developing functional/applied skills (management, data analysis, implementation/delivery) across industries rather than on developing subject matter expertise (in other words, I don't want it to feel like a second interdisciplinary liberal arts degree that's more "thematic" than anything else). 

I was thinking about MBAs for how applied they are, but I think I'd find a lot of the content too business-y and miss out on the networks of like-minded people and opportunities. I was also considering the Kennedy MPA-ID but I don't have the quantitative background required/I'm not strictly interested in economics. Would also consider degree in UK at LSE or Oxford, for example. 

Thanks

Edited by grad0

6 hours ago, grad0 said:

I'm exploring grad programs for Fall 2023 entry and wanted perspective on which programs might be a good fit for me

Questions:

1. What programs might fit my career/grad goals? Is MPP (or related degree) in line with what I'm thinking?

I'm looking at programs now because I'm feeling the desire to explore, develop a network, and define a more concrete direction. I was thinking about public policy programs like MPP at Harvard Kennedy or MPA/MIA/MPA-DP at Columbia SIPA. I'm not interested in the policy space itself, but rather tackling problems that generally fall in the public or social realm (climate change, city innovation, etc). Looking for the following criteria.. 

1. Expansive network of peers and alumni across industries, but with likeminded public/social focus

2. Internationally-focused. Not as interested in domestic policy or programming.

3. Focus on developing functional/applied skills (management, data analysis, implementation/delivery) across industries rather than on developing subject matter expertise (in other words, I don't want it to feel like a second interdisciplinary liberal arts degree that's more "thematic" than anything else). 

I was thinking about MBAs for how applied they are, but I think I'd find a lot of the content too business-y and miss out on the networks of like-minded people and opportunities. I was also considering the Kennedy MPA-ID but I don't have the quantitative background required/I'm not strictly interested in economics. Would also consider degree in UK at LSE or Oxford, for example. 

Thanks

You are asking an impossible question because you have yet to identify why you want a grad degree other than to network and gain some functional skills. The reason why this is problematic because you can learn all the skills you want and get all he network you want, but unless you have a general idea what more specific industries, jobs types, and etc. interest you, no one can really guide you because where you want to end up matters. 

Don't get me wrong, I have seen plenty of I just want to go to grad school to network and gain skills types, and they usually end up in the worst jobs because they don't get their act together until last minute or end up in good jobs that they live shortly because it wasn't a good fit.

It's totally okay if you don't have a specific role coming out of policy school in mind, but I recommend you figure out what are some jobs of interest.