Western Ontario MPH 2022

Aliyah7

Starting a thread for people admitted into the mph program at the university of Western Ontario. Current students welcome! My biggest concern is the tuition. Why on earth is this not covered under student loans? Is this school for rich people or something? My bad for not looking into this before applying, but I did not expect that I'd have to pay 36 000 dollars out of pocket!

Hey! I've been accepted at Western, but I'm an international student. The tuition is my main concern too. Waiting to hear from Alberta. But from what you've said, it's most probably a rejection. Epi stream, still at pre screening

2 minutes ago, M.T said:

Hey! I've been accepted at Western, but I'm an international student. The tuition is my main concern too. Waiting to hear from Alberta. But from what you've said, it's most probably a rejection. Epi stream, still at pre screening

Hey congrats on your UWO acceptance! I'm sorry about UAlberta, I was sad to find out I was rejected because it was my first choice. Just based on what I've witnessed myself and with friends and people on this forum, the "pre-screening" status is usually not good news but we don't know for sure. So there's a bit of hope still. Definitely email the sph office. I find they reply quickly.

21 minutes ago, Aliyah7 said:

Hey congrats on your UWO acceptance! I'm sorry about UAlberta, I was sad to find out I was rejected because it was my first choice. Just based on what I've witnessed myself and with friends and people on this forum, the "pre-screening" status is usually not good news but we don't know for sure. So there's a bit of hope still. Definitely email the sph office. I find they reply quickly.

Sure! Alberta was my top choice too. Do you have an idea about the class size at Alberta? I'm trying to connect with Western graduates to see if the tuition is worth it. I'll let you know if I hear back!

22 hours ago, M.T said:

Sure! Alberta was my top choice too. Do you have an idea about the class size at Alberta? I'm trying to connect with Western graduates to see if the tuition is worth it. I'll let you know if I hear back!

For University of Alberta the class sizes depend on the stream. So for health policy they take 20 students, health promotion 20 students, and for epidemiology only 14 students. Some streams have even smaller class sizes. I read they had around 500 applicants this year so it was extremely competitive.

On 4/22/2022 at 1:19 AM, cborg01 said:

Hey! I've also been accepted to Western, waiting to here back from UOttawa as my top choice 

Hey, I've applied to uottawa as well. As a fairly new program, I find it difficult to connect with their alumni to get to know their experience. May I know why you prefer their program?

On 4/21/2022 at 9:23 AM, Aliyah7 said:

For University of Alberta the class sizes depend on the stream. So for health policy they take 20 students, health promotion 20 students, and for epidemiology only 14 students. Some streams have even smaller class sizes. I read they had around 500 applicants this year so it was extremely competitive.

Thank you! The website gave the impression that the number was bigger. I must have misunderstood. Quite the competition!

Edited by M.T

25 minutes ago, M.T said:

Hey, I've applied to uottawa as well. As a fairly new program, I find it difficult to connect with their alumni to get to know their experience. May I know why you prefer their program?

Honestly location is a big part of the appeal for me – I did my undergrad at Carleton so wouldn't have to deal with moving cities if I got accepted to uottawa lol. But I also rlly like their specialization in health policy and the option to take French/any language courses. I've only talked to one person who has completed the program, but he had positive things to say about it!