2023 Application Thread

dr. t

42 minutes ago, waitingforresults said:

Yale will be sharing results soon. My friends, who are PhD studnets there, shared a list of admitted students with me disseminated by the Program's registrar.

Does this include joint programs?

12 minutes ago, waitingforresults said:

usually those are separate programs, where descicions are made separately 

Ah, I'm confused on what to think because on one hand the programs for history of science/medicine are separate from the history program, but I think (at least for Yale and Princeton) that they still fall under the Department of History. I haven't received any emails so I'm not sure on whether or not to hold out hope...do you guys think I should just consider myself rejected from HYP? 

2 minutes ago, histosci123 said:

Ah, I'm confused on what to think because on one hand the programs for history of science/medicine are separate from the history program, but I think (at least for Yale and Princeton) that they still fall under the Department of History. I haven't received any emails so I'm not sure on whether or not to hold out hope...do you guys think I should just consider myself rejected from HYP? 

Even though HSHM is a part of the Department of History, it is a sort of enclave with its own procedures. So you need not consider them as a single batch of decisions.

4 minutes ago, histosci123 said:

Thanks! I've already seen an acceptance (one each) from both Harvard and Princeton for History of Science on the results page though so I'm assuming thats over for me... ?

Wait, Harvard HSci already released their offers?

Hello, 

Have been through this process before, and am going through it again. I read these threads, but have never contributed, so here you go: 

I have recieved rejections from Michigan State and UNC Chapel Hill. I have not heard back from Yale, Cornell, Michigan, Harvard, Chicago, and a few others I am blanking on right now. I expect to get rejected from all of these schools. 

My advice, which I would be smart to follow, is to just focus on improving yourself and stop worrying about school x or y. I have watched numerous people get into great schools, and numerous other people who are highly-qualified get rejected. I have seen some folks get into Ivies but get rejected from state schools where there are faculty aligned with their interests. It literally makes no sense, and is VERY political. 

Anxiety, depression and substance abuse are at all-time highs right now, especially amongst graduate students, so prioritize self-care --- focus on improving as a scholar, pitching journals, applying to conferences, working out at the gym, and let the rest figure it else out. If these schools are smart, they will accept everybody reading this thread:)

Is it normal for application decisions to come out so unofficially ? It seems like people are just finding out through their mates at these unis? Maybe it’s just my background with only applying within the UK before but it’s always just been like official channels only, it seems a bit unfair to disseminate this info in dribs and drabs, like why has program registrar at Yale told existing PhD students there who’s got in before informing the people who have actually applied this year round?

29 minutes ago, queenphilippaofhainault said:

Is it normal for application decisions to come out so unofficially ? It seems like people are just finding out through their mates at these unis? Maybe it’s just my background with only applying within the UK before but it’s always just been like official channels only, it seems a bit unfair to disseminate this info in dribs and drabs, like why has program registrar at Yale told existing PhD students there who’s got in before informing the people who have actually applied this year round?

Hey, I was that person who heard from my History PhD program friends 10-15 minutes before I received official mail from the Graduate Program's Registrar. The list of admitted students were dissaminated literally minutes before sending out official personal e-mails with encouragement for current PhD studnets to "reach out to recruit these students".

To be clear, the difference between receiving a letter and receiving a heads-up from a friend was only 10-15 minutes.

Another thing to note is that "official" letters from DGS and Deans with stipend and financial package offers will be sent out after everyone has received their accepted/rejected letters. This is most likely done so that admitted students can begin making plans for a Campus Visit Day.

1 minute ago, waitingforresults said:

Hey, I was that person who heard from my History PhD program friends 10-15 minutes before I received official mail from the Graduate Program's Registrar. The list of admitted students were dissaminated literally minutes before sending out official personal e-mails with encouragement for current PhD studnets to "reach out to recruit these students".

To be clear, the difference between receiving a letter and receiving a heads-up from a friend was only 10-15 minutes.

Another thing to note is that "official" letters from DGS and Deans with stipend and financial package offers will be sent out after everyone has received their accepted/rejected letters. This is most likely done so that admitted students can begin making plans for a Campus Visit Day.

I mean I guess that makes sense, though I still don’t understand why you wouldn’t give people a day to process before being recruited (again, the idea of recruiting PhDs in this way is sort of wild to me from UK anyway).

but it also seems like so many people have received unofficial rejections or acceptances from POIs which I also know for sure wouldn’t happen in the UK, unless you were incredibly close with a tutor. I guess that’s just part of the system but it seems like an odd way to do it personally, especially considering it’s not an explicit part of the application process how close you should be to POIs in order for that to happen