2023 Application Thread

dr. t

1 hour ago, ATAH said:

I am a student at Harvard. Two updates from two profs:

Prof A told me that decisions are NOT yet made. 

Prof B told me that some meetings on admissions were held earlier this week. But the department have NOT yet communicated decisions. 

Sum up -- the post is very likely to be a troll (unless some prof are really really eager to share info with their prospective students).

There's a second harvard unofficial acceptance on the results board...are you sure about this?

1 minute ago, kimedieval said:

manifesting some good news for all of us today! 

I hope so! UIUC has started sending acceptances. No idea when Purdue or IU meet... anyone have any idea on that? Is is bad to reach out if I have grad student contacts at the schools to see if they know, or to ask profs? Is it better to wait? I hate waiting. ? 

GOOD LUCK TO ALL for good news today!!!!

A friend of mine studying science recently received a decision from the UMD for a master's degree. How long does it usually take for MA decisions to come out? I literally can not be on my laptop without constantly refreshing all my application portals waiting to see if anything changes. It is so stressful and unhealthy given the fact I should be working on my honors thesis lmao.

11 minutes ago, kimedieval said:

Someone got an interview at ND's history program so either it's over for me or some are still coming out... ? 

I know with my friend who applied for a PhD at NYU that she received an extremely personalized email from her POI when moving on to the interview process. Emails like those take longer to send out in comparison to automated decisions. Keep your hopes up.

On 1/13/2023 at 1:21 AM, 50CentParty said:

Hey everyone!

I got an e-mail from a POI a few weeks ago, stating that he had nominated me for acceptance to their PhD program. Apparently this should put me on a list of around 25 people, from which they can send out 15 offers. Usually they have an acceptance rate of around 50%. Does that mean I should be admitted as some point?

19 minutes ago, Trout said:

Hey everyone!

I got an e-mail from a POI a few weeks ago, stating that he had nominated me for acceptance to their PhD program. Apparently this should put me on a list of around 25 people, from which they can send out 15 offers. Usually they have an acceptance rate of around 50%. Does that mean I should be admitted as some point?

What university is it?

1 hour ago, popolo said:

Someone posted a rejection notice from Harvard on the results page. If you have any updates please share :)

That's me. Essentially one of my POIs (with whom I am taking courses) told me that many faulty are inclined to NOT admit ppl without a MA. 

Edited by ATAH

1 minute ago, popolo said:

@ATAH, I'm sorry to hear that and I hope you will have other great options to choose from!!

May I please ask what program/track did you apply for and when did you get the email?

Subfield is East Asia. Applied to History, not HEAL / EALC. I went to that prof's office hour (since I am his student).

19 hours ago, delirious said:

There's a second harvard unofficial acceptance on the results board...are you sure about this?

19 hours ago, ATAH said:

Maybe both profs lied to me ?

Files come in, profs look over those in their specialties, and then send them on to the overall committee, who makes the final selections. A professor can sometimes know if a file they've forwarded is going to make it through or not, e.g. if the three Americanists in the dept. all decide that Jane Smith is their number one pick for that year. That's likely what these acceptances are.

3 hours ago, greenlandsharki said:

I know with my friend who applied for a PhD at NYU that she received an extremely personalized email from her POI when moving on to the interview process. Emails like those take longer to send out in comparison to automated decisions. Keep your hopes up.

Thanks! It also wasn't in my subfield (they would be American/Latin American, and I'm obviously a medievalist), so I'm hoping that's the reason/the kicker. 

35 minutes ago, queenphilippaofhainault said:

Just wondering if I haven’t received a Yale interview request by now should I take that as a sign I haven’t got in? Would just like some closure so I can escape the voices in my head and actually concentrate on getting on with my current MPhil work lol

The thing about Yale interviews is that we all saw those posts but no one who received one has actually come forward to tell us more. I'm suspecting those posts were fake. 

@kimedieval

Regarding History at Notre Dame: 

Interviews are starting this week. I can't confirm that all the interview requests have gone out, but I would assume they have. In previous years, they all went out at about the same time as far as I am aware. 

Edited by phil12843

1 minute ago, phil12843 said:

@kimedieval

Regarding History at Notre Dame: 

Interviews are starting this week. I can't confirm that all the interview requests have gone out, but I would assume they have. In previous years, they all went out at about the same time as far as I am aware. 

kms okay