2023 Application Thread

dr. t

Hello Hello, new here. I applied for Global/Transnational History at UNC Chapel Hill, Princeton, and Rutgers. UNC was a bust, Princeton the acceptances seem to have come out already, and we're waiting on Rutgers. Maybe I picked too small number of schools, but I'm only coming out of a BA, so I got time. The waiting game goes ham

9 minutes ago, 1003128 said:

Hello Hello, new here. I applied for Global/Transnational History at UNC Chapel Hill, Princeton, and Rutgers. UNC was a bust, Princeton the acceptances seem to have come out already, and we're waiting on Rutgers. Maybe I picked too small number of schools, but I'm only coming out of a BA, so I got time. The waiting game goes ham

Welcome to the party! I am also waiting on Rutgers and stressing out about it

1 hour ago, phlegmaticmedievalist said:

Hello all - am new here. Applied for both History and Medieval Studies PhDs at Notre Dame. Haven't heard anything back from either of those yet, and going a bit crazy. How much of a goner am I? 

I received an interview request for History at Notre Dame two weeks ago and interviewed last week. I believe they said they were meeting this week to decide and would notify applicants even later than that... Probably mid-Feb.

2 hours ago, ladydobz said:

I'm waiting to hear back as well... I know that Purdue *should* release around 2/15 based on prior years, so, I'm hoping they're running on the same schedule. Just out of curiosity, what is your area of focus? (I completely understand if you don't want to say)

No worries! I applied for the dual MA in History/MLS in Library Science program. For history I want to focus on medieval religious women, mental health, and asceticism. What about you if you don't mind my asking? :)

17 minutes ago, nightiey said:

No worries! I applied for the dual MA in History/MLS in Library Science program. For history I want to focus on medieval religious women, mental health, and asceticism. What about you if you don't mind my asking? :)

I applied to the PhD program, Womens and Gender studies. My focus is history of medicine, specifically focusing on women in medicine and women's health history. I hope you get in! :)

17 minutes ago, waitingforresults said:

Check the portal. I received all formal admission and funding information without receiving any mail; I simply decided to checked the portal ater 5 PM EST yesterday.

I don't have anything there and I didn't receive any mail so far. I hope it doesn't mean it's completely over...

Just now, AmramtheAgronomist said:

I don't have anything there and I didn't receive any mail so far. I hope it doesn't mean it's completely over...

Probably. I received emails from the POIs and the chair of admissions committee 2 weeks ago informing me of the descicion, and the admission letter is available in the portal as of February 6.

Hi, I just got an interview request for a 30 minute interview with the CUNY graduate center. I saw the previous posts with advice for the Berkeley interviews, but am curious about how much I should prepare for this interview. Also is it standard for them to interview or is it likely because they need more information about me? Thanks for the advice! 

1 hour ago, SpiralJetty said:

Hi, I just got an interview request for a 30 minute interview with the CUNY graduate center. I saw the previous posts with advice for the Berkeley interviews, but am curious about how much I should prepare for this interview. Also is it standard for them to interview or is it likely because they need more information about me? Thanks for the advice! 

This isn't particular to CUNY, but I also had a 30-minute interview for another History PhD program. Because 30 minutes is so little time, I think they are mostly interested in your work. I overprepared by trying to know about all the work my POI had published and was ready to list out all the aspects of the program that I felt fit me. Instead, I was mainly asked to expand on my previous historical research (mainly my master's dissertation). I was also asked about methodologies and what I expected to do with my research at the PhD level, as in what about the topic interested me and how I would expand on it. Again, 30 minutes is actually very little time, and they are probably trying to stick to a schedule. I would suggest revisiting your previous work and practicing responses to summarize it as best as possible. This might not be the experience for everyone, but my interview was very specific to my particular historical topic and not much about the program itself. You can obviously demonstrate your knowledge of the program by asking questions yourself at the end. Hope this helps & Best of Luck! :)

11 hours ago, samohaya said:

Update—— counting Berkeley, this should be my fifth rejection; I do not think any of my applications would be accepted this year. 

I felt I screwed up big time, but I don't even have the slightest idea of exactly what happened.

I don't know how possible this is, but, if you spoke with potential supervisors before you applied, perhaps you could reach out to them again and ask for any feedback for your application? Since they probably sat in on the admissions committees, they probably have a good sense of what could be improved. But again, a lot of it is just luck and timing. Hoping for the best for you!