2023 Application Thread

dr. t

32 minutes ago, orcinusorca said:

Anyone else waiting to hear back from Princeton NES here? I emailed the program and they told me that the shortlisted candidates were invited for interviews on Monday. I didn’t make the cut :( 

@orcinusorcaIs it true also for the general history phd program?

6 hours ago, greenlandsharki said:

When is it appropriate to email a graduate program to ask for an update on the status of your application? I submitted one application on January 1st, one on January 13th, and two on January 15th, and have heard nothing from any of them. I can not live with this stress.

I applied for seven programs, three submitted on Dec 1, one on Dec 7, and the last three on Dec 15. I didn't hear from ANY of them. Dead Silence. I'm going crazy now.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:52 AM, mb08 said:

Hi! This is my first cycle so kind of confused about the timelines. Any info about interviews from the Ivies? Especially Yale?

Hi, Yale MA student here. My advisor at Yale told me that the History Department doesn't interview ALL of the finalists, but only a few for certain concentrations when comettie want it.

On 1/25/2023 at 2:36 PM, ATAH said:

I am a student at Harvard. Two updates from two profs:

Prof A told me that decisions are NOT yet made. 

Prof B told me that some meetings on admissions were held earlier this week. But the department have NOT yet communicated decisions. 

Sum up -- the post is very likely to be a troll (unless some prof are really really eager to share info with their prospective students).

it's me. got 3 letters: 2 from POIs and from chair of the graduate admissions committee, saying that history department has recommended my admission to the GSAS. now it is all in GSAS's hands.

59 minutes ago, waitingforresults said:

it's me. got 3 letters: 2 from POIs and from chair of the graduate admissions committee, saying that history department has recommended my admission to the GSAS. now it is all in GSAS's hands.

Congrats! @waitingforresults what's your subfield?

8 hours ago, waitingforresults said:

Congratulations! The second result that was posted from Harvard is mine. I'm in the same situation, 3 letters (2 from POI and one from chair of the graduate admissions committee).  And now waiting for the GSAS to send the official letter.

5 hours ago, historyneaonnim said:

Congratulations! The second result that was posted from Harvard is mine. I'm in the same situation, 3 letters (2 from POI and one from chair of the graduate admissions committee).  And now waiting for the GSAS to send the official letter.

@historyneaonnim Can I please ask what is your subfield?

Edited by popolo

2 minutes ago, waitingforresults said:

Mine came on Tuesday, Jan 24, in the evening. It was shortly after the comettie's vote, as one of the POIs mentioned.

Thanks! I guess that if I haven't heard from them until now so its done : (

Edited by popolo

On 1/28/2023 at 11:59 AM, greenlandsharki said:

When is it appropriate to email a graduate program to ask for an update on the status of your application? I submitted one application on January 1st, one on January 13th, and two on January 15th, and have heard nothing from any of them. I can not live with this stress.

Talked to one of my current profs who is not long out of her PhD program. She said do NOT follow up, but to wait. She said waiting is hard, but you'll hear one way or the other, so, no following up. 

To afford historic labor contract, UC considers cutting TAs, graduate student admissions

Just came across this LA times article. I guess this is at least one of the reasons why many UCs are slower than past years in giving decisions?

---

In a survey by UAW 2865, graduate workers from 89 departments across all 10 campuses indicated they had been informed of plans to reduce enrollment for the 2023-2024 academic year. They also heard of plans to increase class sizes and shrink the size of research groups.

UC Irvine is weighing reductions in graduate student admissions by at least 30%, multiple sources told The Times. “We are still very early in the admissions process, but it is likely that programs will be cautious about enrollment this year as the faculty work to better understand how best to support our PhD students,” campus spokeswoman Sheri Ledbetter said in a statement.

At UC Santa Barbara, Scott said her chemical engineering department is considering reducing admission offers to graduate students from about 75 or 80 to about 50. Colleagues across campus are also being “super conservative” about taking on more students, she said. Scott added that such reductions would hit early career faculty particularly hard because they need strong graduate students to help establish research programs. And smaller graduate programs could “grind to a halt” if deprived of new students, she said.