Nookstudy

Phyl

Nook study anyone use it or play around with it? One of my textbooks is available for a significantly reduced price through it and I'm tempted.

It looks pretty cool! I have Mendeley right now and, to be honest, I feel like this would be a lot better for coursework and maybe even research. However, I'm not so sure how good it would be at just plain organizing PDFs . . . it seems to be geared more towards organizing things by individual classes. Thoughts, anyone?

From what I saw, it's not really made for organizing anything other than e-books. It's primarily just an "on computer" textbook system that allows you to get cheaper textbooks.

And being that (from my experience) graduate texts are far less printed than undergrad texts (and rarely available as e-books), I doubt it would be that useful.

There's also the fact that you can only copy or print from the book in limited fashions, which makes it much less useful for me.

I should add that my experience with textbooks for grad courses was this: Either it's a great book, and you'll be using it for years to come.... Or it's not worth buying at all. For the former category, I'd prefer an actual hard copy of the book to keep around, make notes in, etc.... And for the other, well, they aren't worth buying, so why bother?

Edited by Eigen

There's also the fact that you can only copy or print from the book in limited fashions, which makes it much less useful for me.

That's turn off enough for me.

I should add that my experience with textbooks for grad courses was this: Either it's a great book, and you'll be using it for years to come.... Or it's not worth buying at all. For the former category, I'd prefer an actual hard copy of the book to keep around, make notes in, etc.... And for the other, well, they aren't worth buying, so why bother?

I totally hear you on this. I kept a few of my books from undergrad. The book I can get through Nookstudy, is a library science technology book with info that is going to go out of date quickly, so I wasn't looking long term (my other books for this semester are rentals too). I'll need them during the semester (since they aren't on reserve in the library) and will never open them again.

That's turn off enough for me.

I totally hear you on this. I kept a few of my books from undergrad. The book I can get through Nookstudy, is a library science technology book with info that is going to go out of date quickly, so I wasn't looking long term (my other books for this semester are rentals too). I'll need them during the semester (since they aren't on reserve in the library) and will never open them again.

For books that you don't plan on using past the semester, it can be helpful to talk to other grad students and get a shared copy.

We all have bookshelves in our offices, and we bump books (even library books) around from one office to the other pretty regularly.