Anyone not plan on teaching with history Masters/PHD?

Mattk87

i don't think there are many jobs where you can write academic articles and books without having to teach something. but take heart: many of the most respected researchers don't give a rat's ass about teaching.

the PhD really only trains us for research and teaching, heavy on the former, light on the latter. there aren't too many places i can think of that will employ a history PhD to research and write but not also ask them to teach. research institutes, the state department,...? museums hire PhDs, but they often like to see some focus on public history and some experience in museum work, and not a lot of us pick that up along the way to the doctorate. and i don't think museum gigs require much published writing, but i could be wrong.

for me, the aim is to become a tenured professor somewhere. anywhere. west of the rockies or on the eastern seaboard would be nice, US or canada. but i'll take anything, really. i am maintaining my connections to news/documentary production (particularly research, writing, and editing) should i ever decide to retreat into my former "career." but the PhD won't help too much in that regard.

my other back up plan is to be a writer for last call with carson daly. have you seen that show? he needs all the help he can get, they'll hire anybody.

It is possible to have a scholarly career. It won't be easy. I met an exceptional woman who only has a MA and made something out of herself. She tried to convince me that a MA was all necessary for one to get research grants and if one can string together grants, it's all possible to have a career publishing articles and writing books. Now she is the head of a program that's of her geographical interest in a foundation, and she really enjoys her job. She's respected in academic circles- I didn't think so at first until my adviser praised her when I said that I met with her. Huh. Still, the idea of just writing grants in order to survive isn't all that appealing to me.

Thus, I'd rather take any other job with an actual employer. And just make do with any free time that I have to write and publish. It won't be easy as one won't have all the freedom as academics have and thus the CV's growth may be slower than a professor's.