admission to MA if rejected from PhD?

hopeless

Hi all,

I wanted to ask for a bit of advice. I've applied to English PhD programs, and have been rejected by 4 so far, and am waiting to hear from the remaining 6. Unfortunately, my GRE Verbal is really low, esp for an applicant to English PhD programs. I have a feeling that the remaining 6 will come back as rejections as well.

Now, although I applied for the PhD, I'd like to be considered for the MA if rejected from the PhD. Some schools automatically do this (e.g. Rochester), but others don't. For the schools that don't automatically do this, would it look bad if I emailed the DGS and asked to be considered for the MA if rejected from the PhD? Or will it look like I'm desperate? Actually, I'm just being realistic about not being a sufficiently good candidate for PhD acceptance at the moment, but I might be good enough for the MA.

Please advise!! Thanks...

I definitely think it's possible to do this- in fact, there is someone in the Poli Sci threads that did just that... he/she didn't get into a PhD program at their top choice, was very disappointed, started up an email correspondence with the director of grad studies about his/her interests in the program and why it's a perfect fit for them, and he/she was offered an MA slot. (No funding.) it can't hurt, the worst they can say is no.