LORs & Peace Corps

shibs423

I am currently a Peace Corps volunteer and am applying to MPP programs for Fall 2011 (hoping to go into a career in development). I worked for two years in advertising before joining the peace corps to be a business development volunteer. I have one academic recommendation lined up and one Peace Corps recommendation. I am in doubt as to who to ask for my 3rd letter. Should I ask for two recommendations from Peace Corps (from 2 reliable references that know me well)? Or should I ask my previous employer for a recommendation even though advertising is not related to an MPP or my future career plans? Would it be bad to have two recommendations from Peace Corps??

Any advice would be helpful!

I am currently a Peace Corps volunteer and am applying to MPP programs for Fall 2011 (hoping to go into a career in development). I worked for two years in advertising before joining the peace corps to be a business development volunteer. I have one academic recommendation lined up and one Peace Corps recommendation. I am in doubt as to who to ask for my 3rd letter. Should I ask for two recommendations from Peace Corps (from 2 reliable references that know me well)? Or should I ask my previous employer for a recommendation even though advertising is not related to an MPP or my future career plans? Would it be bad to have two recommendations from Peace Corps??

Any advice would be helpful!

It's usually best to use academic recommendations, if you have them. I would try to hunt down another professor who can attest to your ability to do well in a classroom setting.

There was a thread within the past couple of weeks on this very topic that might have additional advice for you.

Personally, I would recommend trying to get all 3 references from academic sources, and then supply an additional letter from the Peace Corps.

Extra letters don't hurt, but these letters are usually predominantly (as the previous poster said) to attest to your ability to do well in an academic setting.