Retake GRE again? Lower score than previous attempt (Sub 1000)

I have now taken my GRE a third time, and surprisingly my score dropped. No excuses, but I really sucked it up. Previously I split both sections 460/470, but this time my scores were Q: 350, and V: 460. I feel like my writing will up from the previous 4.0, but will have to wait a few weeks to find out.

I met with two schools at AEJMC, and both were really impressed, even given my low GRE. I have 10+ years of professional experience, starting my 2nd semester of teaching upper level courses, and have a 3.8 GPA. The schools are not top tier, but still good enough schools that I can get a job upon graduation. I have focused in profs at each university who's research I want to tie into, and have personally met with them.

Will these schools take the highest score from each section, or average them? Should I honestly retry and take this stupid test again, even though I don't feel like I'll do better?

I took the test YEARS ago, but what I read back then was that taking the test several times in a short (let's say 1 year) time frame and doing worse can sometimes look bad. However, I believe that the school will see all your scores, and if the first two were pretty consistent, than the school should be able to see that. However, I could be wrong. Can anyone else confirm?

BTW, your research interests are very interesting. I am in a PhD program in Literacy, and my focus is visual literacy.

I took the test YEARS ago, but what I read back then was that taking the test several times in a short (let's say 1 year) time frame and doing worse can sometimes look bad. However, I believe that the school will see all your scores, and if the first two were pretty consistent, than the school should be able to see that. However, I could be wrong. Can anyone else confirm?

BTW, your research interests are very interesting. I am in a PhD program in Literacy, and my focus is visual literacy.

One of my schools told me just to get my entire application in, as the score shouldn't really be an issue. I've already shown them how my research interests align with their profs, so ball is in my court. They are interested in my AW score, but I won't have that for 2 more weeks.

The Dean told me that if after looking at my application, and the score is an issue, they'll notify me to take again. Pretty competitive program, and one of the best funding packages in the country. Glad I took some chances at met them all face-to-face at a conference I attended!

And yes, my research interests are quite interesting! I'm an Ad/PR guy, so my interests tie in with that, but I'm also interested in pedagogy, specifically new methodologies and in the integration of technology.

• 3 weeks later...

Like many of you I also scored lower the second time I took the GRE. First time I got an 1180 (560Q 620V) and a 5 on the writing. The second time I scored almost 100 points lower. My philosophy is....this is my best GRE score...if you overlook everything else that I have accomplished then I really don't want to go to your school anyway!

I have a 3.88 GPA, 2 years teaching experience, and right now I am an Instructor at the University (they hired me to teach and I am hoping that a full time teaching position will help my chances of getting in to a good program). I think the SOP is most important and I think I really screwed those up when I applied last fall...I just didn't really know what I was doing. This year I have picked a few schools and plan on visiting them and then applying to 3 (4 tops).