GRE retake

assad62

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me here. I have an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering from University of Nottingham with a C average sadly :mellow:. I am now pursuing masters in computer science from a local university in Pakistan...where 6 months down the track im on a 3.5/4 gpa thankfully.

Now, I would like to proceed and eventually do Phd in CS from either Northwestern, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Carnegie Mellon or if none of these then Rochester Institute of Technology. My GRE scores are as follows

V: 510

Q: 690

A.W: 4

Now, given that my masters degree will be from a less known university, and I have fairly low grades in undergrad.....should I go ahead and give GRE again? I am confident I can increase by atleast 100-150 points since when i gave it before I was in the midst of submitting my undergrad dissertation and final exams.

Thank You in advance.

Edited by assad62

I would definitely retake it. You will be needing to as near as (if not exactly) 800 Quant as you can if you're looking at Computer Science. A perfect score isn't even the 99th percentile so many people ace it, so to be realistic, you should look at really hitting it again.

I recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-GRE-Exam-Advanced-Math/dp/1607144972/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281996391&sr=1-3

I would definitely retake it. You will be needing to as near as (if not exactly) 800 Quant as you can if you're looking at Computer Science. A perfect score isn't even the 99th percentile so many people ace it, so to be realistic, you should look at really hitting it again.

I recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.co...81996391&sr=1-3

Thank you for your reply. How about the verbal score? should 510 suffice?

Yeah...

510 is a little low. 600 or above would be a lot better, but it usually won't be a deal breaker in CS programs, but since you have a pretty low undergrad GPA, it probably would be a good idea to study for that to...

If you're REALLY struggling, they're completely changing the test for next admissions cycle if you wait another year.

Yeah...

510 is a little low. 600 or above would be a lot better, but it usually won't be a deal breaker in CS programs, but since you have a pretty low undergrad GPA, it probably would be a good idea to study for that to...

If you're REALLY struggling, they're completely changing the test for next admissions cycle if you wait another year.

Thank you once again. I didnt really find the GRE difficult but only problem was that I had 4 days in total too prepare. And in that too, I had timing issues when I gave the exam and left the last 5 questions in quantitative section :( ...... never the less one last question...how long does it take for ETS to send scores to universities in the US itself? If i recall it says it will take 15 working days, but it took abt 4 weeks for the scores to reach my university in Pakistan. I assume, it will take lesser time for US unis

You won't get into CMU CS with your undergrad background, even with a good GRE score. Right now they have the number 1 ranked PhD in CS. You just won't get in unless you do an MS somewhere else and do extremely well in your MS program including lots of good research, then you might have a shot at the CMU PhD.

You won't get into CMU CS with your undergrad background, even with a good GRE score. Right now they have the number 1 ranked PhD in CS. You just won't get in unless you do an MS somewhere else and do extremely well in your MS program including lots of good research, then you might have a shot at the CMU PhD.

Yeah this is what I was asking. I am currently doing Masters from a university in Pakistan...so even with good marks will it be a problem that my university is not well known?

Please be a little more realistic here...I think you need to take a good look at yourself in the mirror and really reassess what you want in life. With your gpa and test scores I have a hard time understanding how you can legitimately believe you have a shot at any phd cs program in the us let alone a top ranked one.

Tough love, but probably accurate. :(

Please be a little more realistic here...I think you need to take a good look at yourself in the mirror and really reassess what you want in life. With your gpa and test scores I have a hard time understanding how you can legitimately believe you have a shot at any phd cs program in the us let alone a top ranked one.

Tough love, but probably accurate. :(

I have to take exception with both of your opinions.

It's a fact,a Q=690 score will not be taken seriously by probably any PhD CS program. The verbal score and AW scores could be better, but are not horrendous. And most important, the OP has time to review and study and bring his/her score up.

OP: for PhD in CS, the minimum respectable Quantitative score is about 780, 800 preferred.

OP: you can supplement your relatively poor undergraduate grades with work experience, by superlative performance in your M.S. program, especially including research (preferably lots of it) and preferably publications, and by making contacts and thus securing top-notch letters of recommendation.

OP: Your situation is tough, but not hopeless. And, you may have to wait a couple of years (so as to do all that great research I'm talking about) before applying for a PhD CS program.

Good luck,

John

Edited by DrFaustus666

I'd say getting an MS in CS in the US with good grades and lots of good research as the reco above states is what you'd need to have a shot at CMU's PhD program. Foreign MS degrees don't really hold much weight in admissions to decent STEM PhD programs in the US because all of them will make you complete coursework to get an MS from them before moving onto doctoral candidacy. I've seen people with foreign MS degrees getting the same admissions offers as people with only BS degrees. I think you can get into a decent PhD if you follow the above reco but I don't think all of that coupled with the deficiencies in your UG are going to make you as competitive as all of the other CMU PhD applicants. Good Luck!

Firstly thank you for your response. Secondly, I have no where stated that I want to immediately do Phd, or I think I can get into any Phd program right away. That is why I wrote I want to eventually do a Phd. Never the less, thank you once again for replying.:rolleyes: