How old is too old?

HI guys, I know most are doing their masters at 23 or so right out of college. The field I'm talking of is Government, policy, IR, etc.

If one is starting their masters at 29/30 and finishing at 32/33 is that too late? Will it be "frowned" on by future employers, and are you aged out of most "young professional" jobs in major International Organizations?

It's a catch 22 as sometimes you need a masters to get anywhere or you'll deadend. But at the same time if you're getting a masters after you're about 26 you might be a black sheep.....

Not at all correct about people getting master's degrees straight out of college--average age at many top programs is 25-27 and work experience can tie significantly into your application. Even as someone who did their master's straight out of college my opinion is that it is nonetheless something that would be better served after several years of work experience--unfortunately a master's degree is something that is almost a de facto requirement for getting into the field.

Eesh .. I hope not!

I'm planning on applying next year. By the time I get out I'll be in my thirties.

Curious to read everyone's comments.

HI guys, I know most are doing their masters at 23 or so right out of college. The field I'm talking of is Government, policy, IR, etc.

If one is starting their masters at 29/30 and finishing at 32/33 is that too late? Will it be "frowned" on by future employers, and are you aged out of most "young professional" jobs in major International Organizations?

It's a catch 22 as sometimes you need a masters to get anywhere or you'll deadend. But at the same time if you're getting a masters after you're about 26 you might be a black sheep.....

I'd also have to disagree with the concept of "too old for grad school," especially when you are talking about individuals in the 29-33 age range. Unlike the hard sciences or even the humanities, you will find people of all ages at professional schools. Although most students are somewhere around 26, you will find 22 and 23 year-olds as well as 29-31 year-olds. In one program I met a person 61 years old!

Being older certainly has its benefits. An older candidate will most likely have work experience, professional contacts, and references. Having some depth and maturity can be an asset to some employers, especially in the public sector. Additionally, an older candidate may also have a clearer idea of what he or she wants out of the graduate program, and will therefore be able to angle the experience towards specific professional goals. Finally, a student who has spent a few years away from school is less likely to burn out, something that happens to a decent number of students who enter graduate school immediately following undergrad.

I think the disadvantages usually come from the candidate. An older grad student may be less willing to take a low-paying or entry-level job after graduation because of familial or debt obligations, or simply because she doesn't want to be the 33 year-old "Junior Researcher." If the person has a spouse, placement may be limited to one or two cities, and a traveling may not be possible. True enough, there are a few junior officer programs at the UN and other places that have age limits, but that doesn't mean one can't get in to the organization some other way (usually after working for the federal government).

I've never really heard of this "black sheep" idea, and I certainly don't think it should stop a slightly older candidate from advancing his or her career. I've worked in a large public organization, and although the young college-grads attract the most attention and have the most energy, they just as often make egregious errors -- both social and professional -- that their older colleagues avoid. I would think that this is also true for recent grads at the graduate level.

(Full disclosure: I passed through the "young gun" phase of my career about 16 months ago and would now probably be considered a "seasoned veteran.") rolleyes.gif

Check out the average age statistics on most programs and you'll find it's mid-20s - many actively seek to discourage students (or even reject applicants) straight from undergraduate work, as the learning experience and networking opportunities both improve when the class possesses a mix of real-life experiences. I entered the MPP program at 25 and am probably near the class median - you'd be far from the oldest in our program, at least.

Edited by zourah

I did a masters in IR at U of Chicago (CIR) and I would guess my cohort had a median age around 25. I don't think older students were at a disadvantage during the program or after. They certainly weren't black sheep, as we all still studied together, hung out together, etc.

Regarding career options, there may be a challenge if you are using the masters to help switch careers, and you still have expectations of a high salary and senior position. But that problem is present if you are switching careers with or without the masters. I am not aware of any employers frowning on you getting masters a little later in life.

After being accepted to SAIS for an MA International Studies, I spoke with one of the deans because I wanted to know what to expect with regard to my peers' ages. I was informed that students were typically 27-29 years old.

I may well be the oldest person on this forum. I am 58, and still have familial obligations (my childrens' undergraduate educations) to finish paying for before I can even begin in earnest.

Currently I'm a part-time graduate student in German Literature, and hope to finish that M.A. degree ... and I feel absolutely like one of the (20-somethings to early 30-somethings) gang ... though one 25-ish fellow student and friend does insist on addressing me with the "formal" form of "you" (Sie) in German, even after I've repeatedly told him that the "familiar" form (du) is fine. And indeed, I say du to him.

After that, even though I'll likely be over 60 years old, I am firmly committed to life-long learning and hope to fulfill my dream of earning a PhD at a top institution, then entering academia as a professor (adjunct professor, who cares at this point?): a dream which was frustrated for literally decades by the needs to support a family, have a house in the suburbs, etc.

You're never too old in my opinion. And if I AM too old, they'll have to tell me to my face.

John

Edited by DrFaustus666

I'll be starting my Masters at 33 and feel fine about it. While on the one hand, I don't won't to be the oldest guy in the class, on the other hand I'm attending grad school at a perfect time where I want to supplement some of my work experience with classroom stuff. Plus it's a fantastic qualification. Older people who are attending grad school, then returning to the career that they left, are able to demand better compensation and better positions. I think it's tougher if you're making the career switch.

Also all those years of work experience makes you a more competitive candidate. I know my application benefited from being far away from my undergrad grades with some solid experience under my belt.