What to use for writing sample and when to send it

Bennet

17 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do for my writing sample?

• Wait to finish independent research paper and submit it along with application, close to the deadline
    • Use independent research paper, but send the rest of the application in earlier
    • Just revise & lengthen rhetorical theory paper

I'm applying to Rhetoric and Composition programs, so originally I was going to send the paper I wrote my sophomore year for my Rhetorical Theory class about Hitler's rhetoric as my writing sample. However, that paper was only ten pages, and some of my schools require a writing sample of 15-20 pages...and let's be honest, my writing certainly was not as good two years ago as it is now. So I was going to revise it, but I just recently got an independent research proposal accepted for this semester (which has to do with teaching college-level composition, so it's definitely relevant), which I will be working on with the former Writing Program Administrator who has just been promoted to Dean of Academic Affairs. This is really exciting for me, and he even said himself that it will look great on grad school applications, and that if I can put all my findings into a well-developed research paper before application deadlines, it would make a far better writing sample because it will show my "potential to research," which is what all my schools are looking for the most.

The problem is, I'll be spending this whole semester working on this project, and the earliest application deadline is January 1st. I've heard before that you should never send your application in close to the deadline because by then, admissions for the department/program are either sold on other applications or just tired of reading them altogether and I won't have as good a shot. Is this true? If so, can I send my application in before with everything but the writing sample, and then my writing sample later when I finish it? Or does it have to be all at once? Or should I just revise my rhetorical theory paper? (I really, really don't want to do this because it would be time-consuming when I'd rather focus on my ind. study research and all the other work I have this semester...plus it just isn't as good a writing sample.) Please vote on the poll as well as provide any advice in reply.

Edited by Bennet

I've heard before that you should never send your application in close to the deadline because by then, admissions for the department/program are either sold on other applications or just tired of reading them altogether and I won't have as good a shot. Is this true?

I don't know about Rhetoric and Composition programs, but if they're anything like any other program I've looked at, the admissions committee won't even look at anyone's application until after the deadline. Do any of the programs you're applying to have rolling admissions? If not, don't worry about turning it in close to the deadline.

Use the research paper. Tskinner is right - programs won't even look at applications until well after the deadline. For what it's worth, I sent in all of my applications a few days before the deadlines and did pretty well (I'm in English Lit).

The writing sample is the most important part of your application. Definitely use what is representative of your absolute best, most relevant work.

The problem is, I'll be spending this whole semester working on this project, and the earliest application deadline is January 1st. I've heard before that you should never send your application in close to the deadline because by then, admissions for the department/program are either sold on other applications or just tired of reading them altogether and I won't have as good a shot. Is this true? If so, can I send my application in before with everything but the writing sample, and then my writing sample later when I finish it? Or does it have to be all at once? Or should I just revise my rhetorical theory paper? (I really, really don't want to do this because it would be time-consuming when I'd rather focus on my ind. study research and all the other work I have this semester...plus it just isn't as good a writing sample.) Please vote on the poll as well as provide any advice in reply.

Honestly, many programs do not begin reviewing applications until they are all in. I got into every PhD program I applied to (7) and I never sent my materials in more than 3 days before the deadline (as in, I used US priority mail to make sure they arrived on time). So I definitely don't think that when you submit your application has anything to do with not getting in unless the program has rolling admissions. Definitely send all of your application materials in together, as it minimizes the chance that something will get lost/misfiled/misplaced.

Thank you everyone, I had no idea they didn't look at applications until after the deadline because my undergrad schools all had rolling admissions. That makes me feel much better, and much less rushed so I can take my time to make my writing sample as well written as possible.