Portfolios

graphikchik

So we all know how important the portfolio is to the MFA admission process. Well I'm kind-of interested in knowing how everyone decided on what kinds of pieces they included and if you are willing to share an online link to some of the work you submitted. I had some help from a faculty member at my university who sat down with me and looked at a lot of my pieces and we made some choices on what to include and what order to put it in. I'm willing to share my stuff. I hope others are willing to do the same.

I really enjoy seeing what other artists are doing and learning from this process. Plus getting any feedback that you might have in response to my work (if only I had found this site and started this thread before applying :mrgreen: ).

Anyway, if you are interested check out my work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/talk2opus/ ... 097138363/

Mine is available at - http://www.circuscharms.com/portfolio.html

I have 18 of the 20 slides there. So yeah, most of it. 11 of the slides there(the first 11 jpegs) come from an exhibition I took part in. It's an yearly thing where a few of us gather and take one concept each to work on. The concept that I took was The Ten Wisdom Goddesses(basically it relates to different faces of a woman.) As it was a recent thing, I put it as it is in the portfolio. The rest of it is work done for clients during the one year I worked at a design firm.

A lot of people advised me against putting work which has direct religious meaning, but I really thing the whole concept is much beyond a religion. I hope the schools think so too. :P

A lot of people advised me against putting work which has direct religious meaning, but I really thing the whole concept is much beyond a religion. I hope the schools think so too. :P

I don't think it's a bad thing to put something that has a direct religious meaning - it's no worse then putting things with direct political or social meanings. IMHO the art we create should be a reflection of our beliefs, feelings or whatever is moving us at the moment. Of course, I will readily admit I'm unfamiliar with the religious meanings in you work, but I didn't pick up on them until you called attention to it. Mainly I saw them as really great use of color and design elements. :wink:

Thanks! It's alway nice to get feedback. When you do your own artwork sometimes you feel like you're in a bubble. That is one thing I really look forward to about graduate school the opportunity to connect with other artists :D

• 10 months later...

My undergrad professors were not not the greatest help in the selection process of my images. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathancote ... 677197305/

I went with some diversity because i feel photography specifically can be so diverse and depending on the concept of my work at the time it require different styles and techniques. I was told to show my level of skill as well as my ability to work through a concept. I hope that is what the committees see. Im always working and the work has common themes but doesn't always look the same.

-nathan