History of Art - MA/PhD 2011??

koala07

Hm. I'm a little concerned now, I didn't contact the professors of the MA programs I'm applying to because I honestly didn't know what to say. I had questions about applying and was in contact with the graduate advisor most of the time.....

Hm. I'm a little concerned now, I didn't contact the professors of the MA programs I'm applying to because I honestly didn't know what to say. I had questions about applying and was in contact with the graduate advisor most of the time.....

Hey stphneeawzum,

I wouldn't stress it. I heard (and it might've also been mentioned in this forum) that sometimes it's better not to bother the profs with insignificant questions and to let your application speak for itself unless you have really specific research related questions for them. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong, guys) but I think most MA programs are a little more general in terms of your relationships with profs, therefore it's not AS necessary to speak to all the profs you want to work with... Whereas with PhD programs, you work closely with one or two advisors which is why most people contact them early on in regards to research and advising and the like.

Hey stphneeawzum,

I wouldn't stress it. I heard (and it might've also been mentioned in this forum) that sometimes it's better not to bother the profs with insignificant questions and to let your application speak for itself unless you have really specific research related questions for them. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong, guys) but I think most MA programs are a little more general in terms of your relationships with profs, therefore it's not AS necessary to speak to all the profs you want to work with... Whereas with PhD programs, you work closely with one or two advisors which is why most people contact them early on in regards to research and advising and the like.

That's the impression I was getting. Since I'm only applying to an MA program I felt it was a bit more... casual? Probably the wrong word, but I'm finishing my SOP so my brain is fried haha.

Hello.

I've lurked since my join date, but decided to burden the forums with my anxiety to alleviate my mail/e-mail checking obsession. I have applied to 6 graduate programs for Art History, topped with 2 additional applications for a MLS degree. Technically, 1/6 offers the degrees under a joint program, one allows you to defer your enrollment upon acceptance into both programs, and the other is joint but required two application fees (ugh).

Without any qualifying or self-depricative statements about my undergraduate profile, I've attended a state university. UG GPA = 3.39, Major GPA = 3.79. No undergraduate thesis (I would have loved to know of the opportunity prior to my senior year), was part of the Art History student league and took French as my choice language. Unfortunately, as a working commuter student, I had to give up two volunteer positions at a museum (not long enough to mention on a CV) and the chance for assisting at an urban gallery. I'm obviously disheartened. Vocabulary (Kaplan) study for GRE left me with 75th percentile in V and . . uhm, something piss poor in Math. 4 on writing section left me depressed, but whatever.

I've applied to UDel, UPenn, UIUC, UNC CH, BU and Pratt. I have been in contact with particular faculty prior to application deadlines.

Touching on some topics in the thread: if you, indeed, choose to contact a professor - ensure that you're contacting them for research purposes, funding inquiries or specific program inquiries that the websites do not provide, or that secretaries cannot explain. Response time obviously varies for certain reasons: is the professor at a conference, how large is the graduate school, etc? But don't give up! I've tried contacting a specific faculty member since July - I've e-mailed him perhaps . . . 4 times. Once I resent the same, next I omitted superfluous information, and lastly, I simply said: "I am not sure you received my original e-mail," in December only to receive a delighted "It's good to be persistent," + dialogue I've been asking for, for a bit. This was over months period though.

I just hope I get in somewhere. I cannot stand retail and being out of an academic setting.

Edited by chuianne

I realize I'm double-posting, but I believe UIUC is now reviewing applications. I just received an unofficial acceptance in e-mail (: I hope it stays that way! I've been dancing with happy tears since 11:45PM.

<br />Thanks.<br /><br />And congratulations to the Ph.D applicant with a fellowship!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

applicant or acceptance?! gahhh! has a doctoral program already confirmed acceptance for someone?! i saw an art & theology go up on the results page... i also saw a harvard notification for another concentration, something like literary studies. is harvard already getting back to people? ignore me, as i am obviously simply wasting my time freaking out...

good luck all!

<br /><br /><br />

applicant or acceptance?! gahhh! has a doctoral program already confirmed acceptance for someone?! i saw an art & theology go up on the results page... i also saw a harvard notification for another concentration, something like literary studies. is harvard already getting back to people? ignore me, as i am obviously simply wasting my time freaking out...

good luck all!

last year, the art history (phd) acceptances didn't start coming in until around mid-/late february, so you've probably got a couple more weeks of agony ahead of you. different departments handle admissions differently, even within the same university (and often within the same division), to say nothing of how differently each school approaches things. rejections and waitlist notices may or may not lag behind acceptances by a few days, or even weeks. best of luck!

<br /><br /><br />

good luck all!

D:

I say applicant, just because I don't know if they're going to *go* to that school. But yes, acceptance, as it reports. I presume my application was looked at and decided upon recently because the two faculty members (who I believe were on the committee) are traveling for the next couple of weeks.

D:

I say applicant, just because I don't know if they're going to *go* to that school. But yes, acceptance, as it reports. I presume my application was looked at and decided upon recently because the two faculty members (who I believe were on the committee) are traveling for the next couple of weeks.

Just because many professors are going to CAA doesn't mean that they are deciding on you. One of the UIUC profs is on a year-long fellowship in California, and isn't going to CAA, for example, but apparently they are making decisions. And many departments are interviewing for faculty positions, which are much more meaningful to them than any of you. So chillax. You are in or out, nothing to be done now.

The waiting game is just killing me. It's distracting me from schoolwork. I thought being busy this semester would help, but it's making me more anxious. I probably spend more time on this site than I ever have on facebook (or any other time-sucking website).

P.S. Speaking of CAA, is anyone else going? I went last year and liked it so much that I'm going this year too. (Why not?)

Hi all!

This is a random post, but I would really appreciate some input/feedback. I applied to 6 masters programs (Courtauld Inst, Univ. Washington-Seattle, UMass-Amherst, Columbia (free application fee), CUNY Hunter and Univ. Florida). I took the GREs and did horribly on the verbal (450) and math (600) but did well on the writing (5.5). My GPA was a 3.5 which isn't outstanding but it could have been worse. I also interned at a museum in Rome, Italy and am currently volunteering at the Guggenheim Museum in NYC. I'm fluent in Italian, proficient in Spanish and can carry conversations in Mandarin and German.

I'm just wondering if my low GRE scores will cause me to be rejected from these programs (I don't expect to get into Columbia). I've never received impressive results on standardized tests. I was diagnosed with a learning disability when I was 5 and was mainstreamed several years later. I mentioned my struggles and overcoming this disability in my SOP as to explain my poor scores but I'm still concerned. Is there anything that I could do in the mean time to improve my chances? Should I look into taking a year off and getting a different internship?

The worst part is definitely the waiting...although studying for the GREs wasn't fun either.

I'd appreciate any input you guys may have. Best of luck to you all with your applications! biggrin.gif

e

Hi all!

This is a random post, but I would really appreciate some input/feedback. I applied to 6 masters programs (Courtauld Inst, Univ. Washington-Seattle, UMass-Amherst, Columbia (free application fee), CUNY Hunter and Univ. Florida). I took the GREs and did horribly on the verbal (450) and math (600) but did well on the writing (5.5). My GPA was a 3.5 which isn't outstanding but it could have been worse. I also interned at a museum in Rome, Italy and am currently volunteering at the Guggenheim Museum in NYC. I'm fluent in Italian, proficient in Spanish and can carry conversations in Mandarin and German.

I'm just wondering if my low GRE scores will cause me to be rejected from these programs (I don't expect to get into Columbia). I've never received impressive results on standardized tests. I was diagnosed with a learning disability when I was 5 and was mainstreamed several years later. I mentioned my struggles and overcoming this disability in my SOP as to explain my poor scores but I'm still concerned. Is there anything that I could do in the mean time to improve my chances? Should I look into taking a year off and getting a different internship?

The worst part is definitely the waiting...although studying for the GREs wasn't fun either.

I'd appreciate any input you guys may have. Best of luck to you all with your applications! biggrin.gif

It seems like such a crapshoot. I applied at UW too! Seattle is sweet. I never visited the campus per se, but I love the city and could totally get used to living there. Quale museo a roma?! What's your concentration?

I wouldn't worry about your GRE. Your writing score is really good, so that definitely helps.

At this point, if all your apps are in... all you can do is obsessively check this site (like me).

In bocca al lupo! :)

e

It seems like such a crapshoot. I applied at UW too! Seattle is sweet. I never visited the campus per se, but I love the city and could totally get used to living there. Quale museo a roma?! What's your concentration?

I wouldn't worry about your GRE. Your writing score is really good, so that definitely helps.

At this point, if all your apps are in... all you can do is obsessively check this site (like me).

In bocca al lupo! :)

Crepi! haha Thanks, snoozetina.

Maybe I'll see you in Seattle! I've never been to Washington, but I fell in love with their program and read up on some of the published works by the professors.

Studiavo alla Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna. I'm hoping to study Italian Baroque Painting. Although this museum didn't house any artworks from that era and neither does the Guggenheim haha. Yeah, I've literally checked every 3 hrs haha. It's become a problem.

Best of luck to you with your apps! In culo alla balena (slang version of in bocca al lupo)

Crepi! haha Thanks, snoozetina.

Maybe I'll see you in Seattle! I've never been to Washington, but I fell in love with their program and read up on some of the published works by the professors.

Studiavo alla Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna. I'm hoping to study Italian Baroque Painting. Although this museum didn't house any artworks from that era and neither does the Guggenheim haha. Yeah, I've literally checked every 3 hrs haha. It's become a problem.

Best of luck to you with your apps! In culo alla balena (slang version of in bocca al lupo)

Oh my GOD, I love that museum! I fell in love with Burri. (Ho studiato a firenze per sei mesi.) I heard the Baroque folk at Seattle are great. I'm doing nineteenth century though (and I'm forgetting all my Italian with the more french I learn, ugh.)

Oh my GOD, I love that museum! I fell in love with Burri. (Ho studiato a firenze per sei mesi.) I heard the Baroque folk at Seattle are great. I'm doing nineteenth century though (and I'm forgetting all my Italian with the more french I learn, ugh.)

Ho visitato Firenze per due settimane! I want to live in the Uffizi gallery...preferably in the room with the Botticelli. I never took french but hope to study it if I get into a program. Keep me posted on where you get in!

Ho visitato Firenze per due settimane! I want to live in the Uffizi gallery...preferably in the room with the Botticelli. I never took french but hope to study it if I get into a program. Keep me posted on where you get in!

I shall! Here's hoping UW likes us.

Hi All,<br /><br />I just wanted to say hello. I've just joined the site and express what a comfort it is to realize I'm not alone in freaking out about my prospects (or lack thereof). I'm applying to Art History PhD programs at very competitive schools (Brown, NYU, Columbia, Delaware, Yale--ha ha---, UPenn, Johns Hopkins)  for the upcoming year, but since my financial life is in ruins, I had no other option than to go mostly for programs with full funding. A lackluster undergraduate GPA at a state school won't help, I'm sure. At any rate, I'm trying to stay positive and this thread is certainly helping! <br /><br />Best of luck to everyone! Octavia

Hi everyone,

Now that it's February, I'm hopeful that AH will finally get the ball rolling! A big congrats to the few of us who have heard good news so far. Can't wait to see more successes on the board.

A question to possibly pass the waiting time: I was reading through some past threads and noticed that a few people described their specialties as "unfashionable." I realized that I've never really thought of concentrations as fashionable or unfashionable, just common (i.e. modern/contemporary western) and uncommon (i don't know, arts of medieval Scandinavia or something..) So...is this a thing? What would you all consider an unfashionable focus? And is it necessarily a bad thing to research something unstylish? Fashion is cyclical after all...

uncommon (i don't know, arts of medieval Scandinavia or something..)

*raises hand* Um, er, that would be me... :unsure:

I'm used to being the odd one out in any situation, though. The medievalist in a medieval lit seminar of English majors...the medievalist in a historiography seminar of art history grads...and so on. 'Tis a lonely life.

(Well, it was before coming to UConn, but that's because our medieval studies department is this incredible melting pot of interdisciplinary medievalists that is quite hard to find elsewhere, but anyway, I've thrown my lot in with art history.)

I like to tell myself that having an uncommon interest and specialty is an advantage. As long as I find someone in the department who does what I do and will take new advisees, then I think I'm a pretty good applicant to the program. How many people with six years of medieval studies do they get, y'know? I would rather be one of a dozen people applying for a single medieval art history PhD spot, than one of two hundred people vying for five PhD candidacies in modern art.

Of course I get the endless petitions of "what are you going to do with that?" but it's inevitable in graduate school. Unless you are going for a degree in Specific Thing with a minor in Even More Specific Thing and an internship at Specific Thing Institute, with a guaranteed mid-level post at Specific Thing Corporation upon graduation.

Follow your interests and do the best you can, never mind what's fashionable. My poor great-grandmother went to millinery school and finished just when those crazy big hats went permanently out of style. From that I've taken to heart that the job market is too vague to stake your education on.