History of Art - MA/PhD 2011??

koala07

I am a senior undergrad art history student, graduating in May. I am still waiting to hear back from my first choice grad school. I will be doing two museum internships this summer, which will be great learning experiences. However, I am thinking about what I'll do if I don't get into grad school this time around. What I am hoping to do in the future is to work at a museum, possibly as an assistant curator. Looking at job listings, assistant curatorial positions (and many positions at museums in general) seem to prefer that you have at least an MA. What I'm wondering is, for the people who worked for a while between BA and MA, what kind of work did you do?

One of the strongest points of my application was my work experience. Rather than look for positions in brand-name museums, I looked locally at smaller institutions. I landed a job as assistant to the director at a small American art museum and within a year was promoted to assistant curator (after working on, and then full-on curating several of our special exhibitions). I found it to be invaluable experience to be in a "small pond" where I was really able to distinguish myself. The town I was in was certainly not as glamorous as I would have liked, but the working experience far surpassed any of that. I suggest you talk to current professors and your internship supervisors and get the word out that you are looking--the best way to get a job in this field is to employ your network, not just by scoping out postings online. Good luck!

I am a senior undergrad art history student, graduating in May. I am still waiting to hear back from my first choice grad school. I will be doing two museum internships this summer, which will be great learning experiences. However, I am thinking about what I'll do if I don't get into grad school this time around. What I am hoping to do in the future is to work at a museum, possibly as an assistant curator. Looking at job listings, assistant curatorial positions (and many positions at museums in general) seem to prefer that you have at least an MA. What I'm wondering is, for the people who worked for a while between BA and MA, what kind of work did you do?

I have to be really honest with you, every assistant curator I know has a PhD, unless it's a much smaller, regional museum. Do you mean curatorial assistant? I know it seems nitpicky but an assistant curator is an actual curator in the same way that a tenure-track assistant professor is an actual professor. You don't have less education, just less seniority. A curatorial assistant is more like what it sounds.

Interns can do anything from cleaning out and organizing old file cabinets to assisting with research and writing to entering data to helping curate exhibitions.

Now that in the other thread, we have debunked the whole myth about having an MA hurting your chances of getting into top choice schools, can we perhaps discuss this grades/GRE obsession?

If you have good GRE scores, they can help you, but they are no guarantee of admission. In some schools, GRE dictates funding, but in some schools it means little. Same thing with grades. Phi beta kappa? Great! But that doesn't guarantee admission. Grad school admission in art history is much more complicated than that. It depends on subspecialty, research experience, undergrad program, language prep, (surprisingly) travel experience, who needs students, who doesn't want students, etc. It is a very complex web of factors.

Case and point: I had low GRE scores (600V/540M/5.0W). My GPA in undergrad was a 3.4. I had ZERO museum experience. But, I went to an elite liberal arts school, had worked as a research assistant, had an outstanding BA thesis, a major conference, a publication, and a great writing sample. I got into several straight PhD programs right out of undergrad, including a super-top-tier school.

I don't intend to brag. I just want to let all y'all out there know that scores/grades don't mean everything. It is a very nuanced process!

I took a year off and I am working right now as a research assistant at a contemporary art museum. It just sort of fell into my lap, though, so I feel very lucky. I also work as a gallery guide--it's a great way to learn more about the exhibits if you like interacting with people, and it usually pays pretty well!

Many job requirements for assistant curators in contemporary museums stipulate that applicants have a M.A. and don't mention a PhD, though perhaps a PhD would be preferred. It's partly the sub-field, and also partly just (like someone else said) the type of museum. I know there are plenty of great jobs out there for assistant curators with only a master's--especially since not ALL of us want to necessarily work at the Met. I decided to go for a MA because I know I can always get a phd later, and I might want to work for a few years to truly decide if a phd is worth the investment for my career.

Many job requirements for assistant curators in contemporary museums stipulate that applicants have a M.A. and don't mention a PhD, though perhaps a PhD would be preferred. It's partly the sub-field, and also partly just (like someone else said) the type of museum. I know there are plenty of great jobs out there for assistant curators with only a master's--especially since not ALL of us want to necessarily work at the Met. I decided to go for a MA because I know I can always get a phd later, and I might want to work for a few years to truly decide if a phd is worth the investment for my career.

It is true that sometimes curators of contemporary art only hold the M.A. degree, but in most other fields (save dec. arts perhaps) if you don't have a Ph.D., don't bother applying, even if the posting may say "M.A. required Ph.D. preferred." Many years ago when curators acted more as "keepers" of collections (to use the quaint British term for curators), a M.A. could get one in the door, and you still find curators over 50 who may only have M.A.s, even at places like the Getty. However these days most curators are involved in similar kinds of knowledge production through research, exhibitions, conference papers, and publications as their academic brethren, which takes the breadth and depth of knowledge, research skills, and methodological underpinnings that only a Ph.D. can provide. This is true at the university gallery level (Amherst, Williams, Smith, Princeton, Penn State for example), major national (Met, MFA, LACMA), and even regional (Amon Carter, Minneapolis, Indiana) institutions. Curators of contemporary art are not as research-oriented, and spend much of their time at galleries looking for new and interesting artists or trends to form exhibitions around, hence they just need a M.A. The main difference between curators and professors is that curators spend their days with grownups who want to be engaged with art instead of with (often) apathetic adolescents. And sometimes they get to wear ball gowns or tuxedos at fancy parties, or perhaps even bid seven or eight figures at Christie's, or be featured in the New York or Los Angeles Times. However, they have to go into the office everyday, and don't get summers off.

And as a poster above said, hierarchy for curators at larger institutions mirrors that for professors: assistant (entry level), associate (equivalent of tenured professor), and full (just plain "curator"). There are some idiosyncrasies, the MFA has no associate curators for instance, and sometimes you'll find "senior associate curators" (Yale) or whatnot. At the highest level is often a "chief curator", a designation that usually means most of that curator's job will be administrative (like a dean).

So I might rethink settling for a M.A. if you are shooting for a curatorial career at anyplace larger than your local historical society or house museum (where you will be paid $20,000/year and have to find a second job). And don't get me started on "museum studies" programs, I've only met one curator of a major collection who did one (USC's back when it was the Williams of museum studies M.A.s).

So I might rethink settling for a M.A. if you are shooting for a curatorial career at anyplace larger than your local historical society or house museum (where you will be paid $20,000/year and have to find a second job). And don't get me started on "museum studies" programs, I've only met one curator of a major collection who did one (USC's back when it was the Williams of museum studies M.A.s).

Just to be clear: I was talking about assistant/associate curator degrees, and largely in contemporary. It obviously varies for museum/position/subfield. I agree that, overall, phds are preferred and will help you a lot. It's just that if your ambition is to be an assistant curator at a local art museum, a phd isn't necessary. Or, if you're like me and haven't decided yet, a M.A. is a good jumping off point :)

"It is true that sometimes curators of contemporary art only hold the M.A. degree, but in most other fields (save dec. arts perhaps) if you don't have a Ph.D., don't bother applying, even if the posting may say "M.A. required Ph.D. preferred."

As an assistant curator I cannot stress enough how true the above statement is. I already have an MA, and have worked my way up from Curatorial Assistant through the ranks of several major museums over the last seven years. I am actually now applying for the Phd because I cannot move any higher than my present position without one, even though some of my superiors were able to get to where they are with only MAs (and for some of the older generation not even that), but for someone in our generation you need a Phd to get the top jobs at marquee institutions in almost every subfield, in any American city at this point. Like anything else there are exceptions, smaller towns, smaller institutions, etc. I'd be happy to respond to any questions about career paths etc.

"It is true that sometimes curators of contemporary art only hold the M.A. degree, but in most other fields (save dec. arts perhaps) if you don't have a Ph.D., don't bother applying, even if the posting may say "M.A. required Ph.D. preferred."

As an assistant curator I cannot stress enough how true the above statement is. I already have an MA, and have worked my way up from Curatorial Assistant through the ranks of several major museums over the last seven years. I am actually now applying for the Phd because I cannot move any higher than my present position without one, even though some of my superiors were able to get to where they are with only MAs (and for some of the older generation not even that), but for someone in our generation you need a Phd to get the top jobs at marquee institutions in almost every subfield, in any American city at this point. Like anything else there are exceptions, smaller towns, smaller institutions, etc. I'd be happy to respond to any questions about career paths etc.

This has definitely been the experience I've had working in museums as well but it does vary from institution to institution. I've interned in a few of the big art museums in new york and while most rarely consider a candidate without the right degree, for others experience can cancel this requirement out. I know while working at a major museum this summer some of the curatorial assistants and even an assistant curator there had worked their way up from interns with no graduate degrees while some of them had a PhD already. In many situations it's just about getting your foot in the door. However, those without degrees recognized that they'll have to go back to school to progress any further.

At small town museums these requirements are much looser. In my opinion you need to get the degree that's right for you at the moment. I realized during this process that I'm really not prepared for a PhD yet and that taking more time and getting a masters degree will probably be better for me no matter what my eventual goal is.

People seem to have gone off on a tangent—worrying about your thought that you could work as an assistant curator without a PhD—when this doesn't seem to be what you're asking at all. I worked between BA and MA as a waitress, bookstore clerk, RA at a boarding school, and office temp.

What I'm wondering is, for the people who worked for a while between BA and MA, what kind of work did you do?

I didn't major in AH in undergrad and I wanted to make absolutely sure that AH was what I wanted to do for grad before I applied. I had two internships at small New York museums: one a semester-long internship in programming at The Rubin Museum and the other a long-term curatorial internship at another museum. This second has opened tons of doors for me and is definitely the most impressive thing on my resume.

But of course, neither of these were paid, so around them I've worked as a temp, a marketing assistant, a tutor, and a camp counsellor. It may not be as solid as having a full-time job, but I've enjoyed throwing together smaller part-time things. One of my friends got into what she thought was her dream grad school program and then turned it down to stay with her full-time job that now she hates. I didn't have to worry about being tempted away from my academic goals.

For people looking to jump into museums in NYC, I would totally recommend the Rubin. They're pretty new, very hip, and great experience even if you aren't interested in Himalayan art.

Total non-sequitur, but does anyone remember actually getting a rejection email or letter from Northwestern all the way back in early March? I found out by checking my status on the website after seeing results posted here, and figured that they'd send something along a little later. But now... Really? Not even a computer-generated email directing to the website?

Total non-sequitur, but does anyone remember actually getting a rejection email or letter from Northwestern all the way back in early March? I found out by checking my status on the website after seeing results posted here, and figured that they'd send something along a little later. But now... Really? Not even a computer-generated email directing to the website?

I think it says somewhere on either the application or the website that they don't send emails/letters if you are rejected. It's a bit cold.

Notre Dame...

Anyone heard from them? They're the only school I'm waiting on but I don't want to accept another offer until I know for suuurre.

I emailed Notre Dame last week. They said faculty had to reach decisions by the end of March and that letters would go out around the beginning of April. So basically I'm assuming its any day now. I'm waiting on ND too, as well as Pratt.

Has anyone heard from Pratt? I haven't heard a word other than they received my application from the graduate office three weeks ago.

Yeah, they got back to me months ago. You should call them! Decisions are due today!

Has anybody heard from UMass Amherst, MA? I saw on the results board that two people were accepted back in February, and that's it. No rejections posted. I contacted them three weeks ago and they said they were still making final decisions. I'm starting to lose hope!

Has anybody heard from UMass Amherst, MA? I saw on the results board that two people were accepted back in February, and that's it. No rejections posted. I contacted them three weeks ago and they said they were still making final decisions. I'm starting to lose hope!

I hadn't heard from them either and sent an email about 3 weeks ago as well and received a rather short response a few days after saying: "When we know, you'll know". I called 2 days ago asking for some sort of update and was informed that I was on a "hold" list which is their unofficial waitlist. The secretary said that all acceptances went out already so if I were you, I'd just call up the Art History department and see what's up with your application. Don't bother called the grad school department.

Best of luck!