History of Art - MA/PhD 2011??

koala07

You can wait until the 15th of April and nobody forces you to make an earlier decision.

However, if are already accepted in two schools, one of which is your first choice, there is no reason to wait. This way you will give other people a chance that have been waitlisted.

I agree with the previous post! Although no one is forcing you to make a decision today, there's probably no reason to wait (unless one of the schools you're waiting on is your dream school).

If any schools give me an offer, I'm going to run around my apartment screaming with sheer joy...then I will immediately accept.....Sorry, haven't heard from anyone and it's making my thesis a lot harder to write.

Altogther, not a terrible predicament to be in. Congratulations on the acceptance!:rolleyes:

Interest: Roman/Etruscan Art

Bahhhhh!! Has anyone else heard from UT Austin?? It's one of my top choices and I won't be able to do anything today now that I know they've started notifying. To the person who posted on the results page, did you get an email asking you to check the website??

I applied for a masters to UTexas also, and haven't heard back from them yet. Most of the acceptances from last year weren't until late February, so I wouldn't stress too much yet, even if they've notified some people. That being said, I also check the application status page about 5 times a day. I haven't looked into financial aid as much as I probably should yet for Texas, since I don't like to get my hopes up. Do you know much about it?

Ugh to be quite honest I am just worried about getting in. Celebrate any good news first, worry about logistics later! I'm mostly not counting on financial aid across the board, as I am only applying to master's programs, and usually it's reserved for the phd students.

I was just accepted to an amazing school - one of my top choices for sure, if not my top choice. Full funding plus stipend for 5 years. But it's the first place I've heard back from. Am I crazy for wanting to wait until I hear from the other places to accept - or should I just accept now? My other three schools are a longshot and two state schools that most likely won't fund me. I feel like I am over thinking this. How long is it acceptable to wait to accept an offer?

May I ask which schools you've heard from??? Congrats!!!

May I ask which schools you've heard from??? Congrats!!!

I just heard from Emory - I'm tempted to immediately accept and yesterday when I heard I did, in fact, run around my apartment screaming and generally acting like an idiot. My other acceptance was from my safety, Savannah College of Art and Design (Masters in Arts Administration) that I received a long time ago. I'm still waiting on Texas, UVA and Hopkins.

It appears you may be Southernly-located. I live in Atlanta in case you want more information - better/artsy places (like Cabbagetown/EAV) to live in . . what roads to never drive down for traffic reasons, etc! But if you've already been to SCAD, perhaps you're already familiarized? Anyway, congratulations (:

I am currently working in the finance field in NYC and have been out of college for about 2 years. I've found that I really don't like what I'm doing and really wish I could have a re-do of my undergrad years - go with my heart instead of my head. I've always been a huge art/art history fanatic and the more I work in finance, the more I know it's not for me.

I'm seriously considering going back to school for Art History to focus on my passions. Ideally, I would love to be able to go directly into a art history ph.d program but seeing as I have very little background in art history, that would be close to impossible. So my next option is to start with a masters in art history and eventually progress to a ph.d.

My background: I went to a state school with a degree from the business school with a minor in Art History. My GPA is not the best - I don't want to be too specific, but it's < 3.5. I was never that enthusiastic about my actual major so I didn't really try as hard as I should have in classes. My art history minor gpa was almost a 4.0 though...although I highly doubt schools will actually look too much into a minor gpa. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I think I will do fairly well on it (I'm decent at standardized testing - my SAT score was 1500 back when it was out of 1600).

My question is - how difficult will it be to get into a good art history MA program with my background? Since I haven't taken that many art history classes, I don't have close connections with the art history professors and I also don't have any lengthy writing samples. I know these 2 elements are a major deciding factor for graduate school acceptance.

Do I even have a chance of making it into a good MA program? Is there anything I could do in the meantime to help increase my chances? The area I'm most interested in is Italian Renaissance art.

Any help is appreciated! Sorry for the lengthy read and thanks if you were able to get through all of it.

My question is - how difficult will it be to get into a good art history MA program with my background? Since I haven't taken that many art history classes, I don't have close connections with the art history professors and I also don't have any lengthy writing samples. I know these 2 elements are a major deciding factor for graduate school acceptance.

I'm unable to comment on how difficult it will be to get into a program. I'm sorry.

Though I can say that if you have an art history related research paper, begin reworking it ASAP. . . taking in account more resources, etc.

If you have art-related memberships (museum/CAA/etc.) perhaps that would work in your favor. Was a minor for you 15 credit hours (roughly five classes)?

I'm unable to comment on how difficult it will be to get into a program. I'm sorry.

Though I can say that if you have an art history related research paper, begin reworking it ASAP. . . taking in account more resources, etc.

If you have art-related memberships (museum/CAA/etc.) perhaps that would work in your favor. Was a minor for you 15 credit hours (roughly five classes)?

I took more than 21 credits worth of classes. I love art history so anytime I had free credits to fill in my schedule, I always chose art history classes as fillers. I also studied abroad in Italy for 1 semester and took 3-4 art history classes there as well. I do have a few art history papers I can rework and will look into that. And no, I don't have any art-related memberships. I think I may be way too out of my league here...

I don't mind waiting 1-2 years to apply to schools if I can use that time to perhaps volunteer or work at a museum/art related field. Not sure how much that would help in applying to schools though.

Edited by financetoart

financetoart - it's certainly not impossible, I have friends who have been in similar situations with far fewer credits than you who are now Art History PhD candidates. Dreams do come true. But I would say your writing sample is hugely important - have a ton of sources/ images and make sure they are cited immaculately. And volunteer at a museum if you can! showing more interest never hurt anybody.

I too haven't heard from Columbia, and I did apply. I agree that the atmosphere was little tense/awkward when I visited.

You would think for those of us that visited, our POI would at least send us a quick rejection email if we're totally out of the running. I would think that's deserved after taking the time to meet with them.

Also, is it possible that the Columbia open house is for specific areas of interest? Like say, if they got many very qualified applicants for one field?

I'm just trying to cling to one last shred of hope here....

Interesting to note. I'm actually visiting next week, so I assume they are still in the process of making decisions.

Did you get an open house invite email, Manet, or just visiting 'cause you are in the area? I, too, will be in New York next week and wanted to see the new show at the Wallach. You think it's too late to pop by the dept? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Edited by Ramblr

I think the decision has been made. Maybe you can write a quick email to your poi and ask him/her if you are still under their consideration. they usually give u an honest and quick response.

Did you get an open house invite email, Manet, or just visiting 'cause you are in the area? I, too, will be in New York next week and wanted to see the new show at the Wallach. You think it's too late to pop by the dept? Thanks in advance for the advice!

I made an appointment with a POI, so I'm not sure what to do at this point, seeing that I was not told not to come because decisions had already been made.

I think the decision has been made. Maybe you can write a quick email to your poi and ask him/her if you are still under their consideration. they usually give u an honest and quick response.

I made an appointment with a POI, so I'm not sure what to do at this point, seeing that I was not told not to come because decisions had already been made.

If you're going to spend a significant amount of money getting to NYC, I'd say it's worth a phone call or email to make sure your visit won't be in vain. Good luck!

Yeah, I just e-mailed the department directly asking if it's appropriate to visit campus at this time. I sure don't want to waste my time.

If you're going to spend a significant amount of money getting to NYC, I'd say it's worth a phone call or email to make sure your visit won't be in vain. Good luck!

Princeton is cutting back on the number of students they are taking in this year, certain sub-specialities are killed...big sigh...

Yeah, I just e-mailed the department directly asking if it's appropriate to visit campus at this time. I sure don't want to waste my time.

What's your field? Maybe there are still room to maneuver in your field. It is really weird this year.