Profile Evaluation - PhD in Biostatistics

Type: International Asian female 

Bachelor&Master Institution: A top 100 university(QS) in East Asia (+studied abroad in a Big 10 school)

Major: Statistics 

GPA: Approximately 3.7/4.0 for undergrad and 3.9/4.0 for master

Courses taken

athematics : Calculus (A+), Linear Algebra (A-), Analysis (P), Real Analysis (A+)  

Statistics : Mathematical statistics, etc. I got A’s or almost all statistics courses

Research experience:

1.     A short research about cancer prediction (only two months, no paper)

2.     A project about developing algorithms to predict air pollution (something like that). 

3.     About to write a master thesis in biostatistics

Other experience:

1.     One internship about deep learning (start-up)

2.     Part-time statistical consultants

3.     TA for several courses

GRE: 332+3.5

TOEFL: I haven’t took it yet. (Hopefully 100+)

LOR: 3

I think my problem is I am not focusing on one thing. I did a mix of everything and none of them was very strong. I am hoping to apply for a phd in biostatistics, and I wonder what level of schools I can get in. I am thinking about UCONN, UGA, UPITTS, OSU, PENN STATE, UColorado, Tulane, UMASS, etc. I am also interested in UWM, BU, UNC-Chapel Hill, but I think they are out of my league. Maybe a statistics program will be better for me because my experiences are not very focused?

I appreciate any advice in advance!

Edited by AppleBananas
wrong score

• 3 weeks later...

There will be a lot international applicants with a profile similar to yours, i.e., solid grades at a respected school and a little bit of research experience. You may be at a slight disadvantage compared to applicants who came to the US for their Masters degree. A lot will depend on where you studied; for example, if you went to one of the SKY universities (Seoul, Korea, Yonsei) then your chances will be better than if, say, you went to Zhejiang, where there is more grade inflation and a 3.7 is somewhat less impressive. I would say that the places you mentioned as main targets (UConn, Pitt, Penn State, OSU, etc.) are reasonable, and if you apply to several you should feel pretty confident about getting an admissions offer. I would suggest supplementing your list with some more "reach" schools (Wisconsin, UNC, Michigan, etc.) which may not even be reaches depending on the details of your academic profile.