Where to keep up with latest scholarship?

dnosarth

Hello everyone,

As I am preparing for this application season, I'm hoping to get some more advice on where and how the best to keep up with the latest scholarship.  

Apart from reading papers/books of POIs, going on the art bulletin, jstor etc., what resources are helpful for keeping up with new papers and/or conferences? My intended subfield would be modern chinese/japanese art if that matters. 

Sorry if this is naive question but would really appreciate any suggestions!

What are the major publishing houses in your field? Keep abreast of their new and upcoming scholarship. What are recent dissertations written in your proposed field? Take a look at their work and their arguments, look at their bibliographies. 

generally, use bibliographies. They are extremely helpful in finding new/alternative sources that you may not know of, particularly if it is interdisciplinary/a new approach. 

are you engaged with professional organizations in the field? They would probably offer book/article announcements and prizes that would be useful to you as well.