USA MFA Dream- how to make it reality

liebkuchen

I'm 41 from Scotland with an undergrad degree in education. I did a certificate in visual arts about 15 years ago at a local college for a gap year and won the class prize. But lack of money for further studies meant I went into admin and I've bounced around jobs due to poor mental health. I'm at my happy and healthiest when I do my art.

We have good art schools here but the single year of the masters would cost me about $30,000 as I'm not eligible for further help beyond a tiny loan.

So, I'm thinking aloud- could studying in the USA be a possibility? I have a few questions:

1. Can international students apply for the stipends?

2. Are there any particular programmes that have 'liveable' stipends e.g. Yale- any others?

3. Masters study for art in the UK is reasonably straightforward to apply- I think you could get in with a good portfolio and interview. However, is the American system different? Would I need a list of exhibitions? Somewhere I was reading about needing to do residencies- is that important?

I guess it boils down to whether a) it's not possible b) it is possible but I need a couple of focussed years to prepare my application

Any pointers, if it's not impossible, would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

1. Yes! We usually have assistantships here. 

2. Well, we don't make a lot of money here, but it's enough for me and my family (my wife and two kids). Most programs pay "decent" stipends. 

3. It's usually simple. You'll need a statement of purpose, recommendation letters, resume, writing sample, and some cases GRE. 

Hope it helps!