Applying to two programs in the same school?

hsarla123

Hi all!

I am really interested in two programs in the same school: one the MA in East Asian studies and one the phd in art history. Will this jeopardize my chances by any means? There are a few professors who are involved in both departments. 

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see any immediate reason not to apply to both programs, but keep in mind that the same people may end up reading parts of your applications for both. You should be able to articulate why each (and both) are valuable next steps for you in a way that doesn't negate the other's value to your career and research goals.

In any case, the best bet would just be to speak to people in either or both departments. They may not be involved with each other's admission process at all. Or they may suggest to you that you'll have a better chance in one program or the other (or a better application by trying to do the MA first, and then the PhD next).