MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

9 hours ago, risaurus said:

Hi everyone. I have applied in Round 1 Deadline for MFA Graphic/Communication Design as an international student for a 2-year track to the following:

1. RISD
  2. Pratt
  3. CalArts
  4. Yale
  5. SAIC
  6. MICA
  7. CCA
  8. Boston Uni

I have heard only from CalArts so far requesting an interview. Any idea if any other college has sent out interview invites yet? Really anxious!

I applied for the 2 year program at pratt and risd and also havent heard anything from them

This is for Painting/2D

Just got my first denial from Tyler/Temple! ?  It's ok but ego is hurting. Expecting a denial from RISD as well.

So far I've heard from and secured interviews with: 

U Chicago

Northwestern

SAIC

CalArts

MassArts

Rutgers

MICA

Haven't heard back from UCLA, Yale, Pratt, Stamps, RISD, Hunter, Washington St, Idaho St, Boston U, Columbia, or Carnegie Mellon yet

Edited by reallyfamousartist

11 minutes ago, Sculpturegirl101 said:

Are people planning on traveling to CalArts for the interview? I’m Canadian and wondering if I should go out there 

I'm not but I wish-- If they included some sort of cover for travel cost it would be different, not sure if they do for I didn't ask. Anyone know if they do cover travel costs? CalArts is a dream! Happy to hear that you got invited there too!

23 minutes ago, painterJJ said:

If I haven't hear back form SAIC and RISD painting for interview, should I assume I am rejected....?

So frustrating cuz they were my top list

(I'm international applicant, btw)

I don't think so. I think they do various rounds of inteviews in RISD and also you have the waitlist option in case anyone that gets accepted rejects their place so just wait a bit!

Hi all, just found this forum. I’m very grateful for everyone’s input and insight.

here’s where I’m at now :

-SAIC Fiber & Material Studies (unofficial interview notification 1/27; official interview notification 2/2; interview scheduled 2/11)

-RISD Textiles (interview notification 2/3; interview scheduled 2/14)

-Yale Sculpture (no updates)

if anyone has interview suggestions or specific things to note for these program, any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by Huis.clos

2 hours ago, Sculpturegirl101 said:

Are people planning on traveling to CalArts for the interview? I’m Canadian and wondering if I should go out there 

I’m in the same boat I may fly in, flights aren’t trrrible from where I am. I want to be sure I like Santa Clarita and curious to know more about the school before dropping 50k+ usd a year. 

had my interview with Glasgow and they were very nice and straight to business it went by super quick. They asked me to present my work to them for ten minutes. Asked why they should chose me. What artists I like. What writers I like. How I see my work changing. Why I applied to Glasgow. I didn’t do great but not terrible so I think it’s 5050

3 hours ago, Sculpturegirl101 said:

I'm planning to interview in person and I'm flying from New York (still pretty far ?)

For some reasons I always think they are less likely to reject you if you go for interview in person. Not sure if that's true but it might show the school that you are serious about going there.

Hey! Just found this forum and thought I'd share my applications as well! I applied to 7 schools in total with concentration in photography.

• RISD (anyone in photography heard from them yet?)
  • Ohio State (waitlist email received on Feb.1st, interviewed in the beginning of Jan) 
  • U of Oregon (just finished interview)
  • VCU 
  • MassArt (interview in Feb.10th)
  • Stanford
  • Syracuse

Good luck guys!

51 minutes ago, Fawn said:

I'm planning to interview in person and I'm flying from New York (still pretty far ?)

For some reasons I always think they are less likely to reject you if you go for interview in person. Not sure if that's true but it might show the school that you are serious about going there.

Honestly, it's a pretty ridiculous to expect artists to spend money out of pocket to travel for a 20 minute interview after which you could still get rejected. The most important parts of your application they have already seen, I feel like they can glean the same information from a virtual or in person interview. That being said though I understand why people want to travel and it's a good idea if you have the resources. But I'm not traveling unless it's reasonable driving distance tbh. 

I know some schools will pay to fly you out after you get accepted so you can get a sense of the program, so keep this in mind too!

Edited by cornchip

2 minutes ago, cornchip said:

Honestly, it's a pretty ridiculous to expect artists to spend money out of pocket to travel for a 20 minute interview after which you could still get rejected. The most important parts of your application they have already seen, I feel like they can glean the same information from a virtual or in person interview. That being said though I understand why people want to travel and it's a good idea if you have the resources. But I'm not traveling unless it's reasonable driving distance tbh. 

I agree-- Expecting people to fly and travel at their own expense is extremely classist

22 hours ago, thegradiest said:

Hiya, 

did anyone get any update for risd painting or Yale painting? I see that last year they sent out most emails today and yesterday!! Good luck to everyone! 

I also applied to Yale painting! I'm an intl student from UK applying for the second time; applied back in 2018 but straight out of uni (big nono in retrospect but hey!). With the time difference I’m literally checking my emails every hour lol.

With you in solidarity and wishing you luck and a semblence of peace! :~)

Just got out of an interview with UChicago-- questions were almost exactly the same as what everyone else has experienced. "tell me about yourself, what you've been doing recently, what book has inspired you, why you want to go to graduate school, why you want to study at insert school, explain your work in one work, what do you do outside of studio" Super rapid fire and extremely difficult to condense a thoughtful response into a single sentence for each question. Hope this helps everyone preparing for interviews! Must be concise and stand out! Good luck! I'm rooting for you all!

Edited by reallyfamousartist

5 hours ago, azumarill said:

Hey! Just found this forum and thought I'd share my applications as well! I applied to 7 schools in total with concentration in photography.

• RISD (anyone in photography heard from them yet?)
  • Ohio State (waitlist email received on Feb.1st, interviewed in the beginning of Jan) 
  • U of Oregon (just finished interview)
  • VCU 
  • MassArt (interview in Feb.10th)
  • Stanford
  • Syracuse

Good luck guys!

Congratulations! I didn't know University of Oregon sent interview invites, but now I'm finding out they are completing interviews. What is your area of focus for U of O? Mine is Painting & Drawing, perhaps they haven't started my discipline yet OR this could just be an obvious sign that I'm rejected lol 

5 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Congratulations! I didn't know University of Oregon sent interview invites, but now I'm finding out they are completing interviews. What is your area of focus for U of O? Mine is Painting & Drawing, perhaps they haven't started my discipline yet OR this could just be an obvious sign that I'm rejected lol 

I’m eagerly awaiting word from Oregon too, my concentration is Fiber/Sculpture, hope to hear from them soon, I was pretty excited about that program 

13 minutes ago, Forms Without Formula said:

I’m eagerly awaiting word from Oregon too, my concentration is Fiber/Sculpture, hope to hear from them soon, I was pretty excited about that program 

Same! It's a great fully funded 3 year program. Now hearing that @azumarilljust finished an interview makes me believe I just wasn't a finalist. I thought no one heard anything from Oregon but apparently they are finishing interviews....that's a bummer. I wonder why most of these programs hold onto rejection letters until March....like if you know you don't want someone and they are rejected, just notify them ASAP instead of having them refresh their email for no reason lol 

This entire MFA application process seems very inconsiderate for the applicants.