MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

19 hours ago, cyb3rci3lo said:

ahhh you're doing the in person? that's awesome! good luck 😃

wahhh i think the interview went okay! it was definitely nice to interview in person (easier to measure the vibe) vs. online for other programs. was a little strange that the two interviewers were both painters (not applying for painting)/all the interviews were running late which pushed things back by 15 min. good luck!! 

15 minutes ago, AJJAY said:

I doubt I’m the only late 20’s person to ever be hit with the sudden realization of my own mortality and that I haven’t accomplished everything I thought I would have by the time I became a “real adult” in my 30’s.

I know we are all strung out with the admissions process, and I’m also grappling with the fact that I may have to push my plans back another year on the very real possibility that I don’t get an offer anywhere.

But no one was personally attacking you, so in short, don’t be an ass. 

It's getting spicy in GradCafe on a weekend lmao, GradCafe turning into Pumpkin Spice Cafe 🥵🤣

I totally understood what you said and you weren't personally attacking anyone. It is just your personal preference to be done with all your school stuff before you hit your mid-30s. There's absolutely nothing wrong with striving to reach certain goals before you hit a certain age. You never said it was a disadvantage to be older while pursuing school. What you said shouldn't have been met with an intentionally rude response. 

On 2/28/2023 at 12:32 PM, ArtRocks said:

Did anyone wake up to an email from Rutgers with "Activate or verify your Rutgers NetID" as the subject? The email implies I've been accepted (i.e. language of "Welcome to Rutgers!") but when I check my netID portal it says my application is still under review. lol. go figure

On 2/28/2023 at 1:42 PM, mmmmh said:

Has anyone heard back from NYU Steinhardt? Not really seeing anybody who applied to NYU here.

Now that February is over, should I assume rejection if I've heard nothing from them? I was comforting myself thinking that NYU's application deadline was late so they are still processing, but found out in old forums that they usually invite for an interview in late Feb. 🤧

On 2/28/2023 at 1:54 PM, rhonda89 said:

I also applied to Steinhardt and haven't heard anything from them, except for a reminder two weeks after the deadline that one of my recommenders hadn't uploaded a LOR yet, so you're not alone! 

Haven't heard anything back from NYU either but... I did notice something weird that's giving me hope. So y'all know how the scholarship deadline was last week, march 1st? when I did the new student scholarship application, a few of the items were prefilled- like my name and address, etc.  There was something else pre-filled: "NYU ID (if applicable)"

I had never seen that NYU ID number before. And the number was different than the registration # that was given when I submitted the admissions app. 

With this NYU ID in hand I was able to log into NYUHome website and get my NetID number and NYU email. I can log into the registrar's office website and see the classes that are available for registration. I still can't see the admissions decisions or financial aid award (can't register for classes either), but this is the admitted student portal. 

Like I said, I havent heard back from admissions at all, but I'm choosing to assume from the information I've been able to gather, that I've been accepted. 

If you are still waiting to hear back from NYU, go log into the portal and see if you have an NYU ID listed anywhere on the scholarship application. 

Just received my notification for Yale, it's a rejection. I guess that's a wrap.

I apply for MFA Painting, in conclusion

Yale - Interviewed / Rejected

RISD - Accepted

SAIC - Accepted

MICA - Accepted but my application was transferred to Mount Royal (interdisciplinary)

Hope everybody the best :)

Edited by lebleu

2 hours ago, lebleu said:

Just received my notification for Yale, it's a rejection. I guess that's a wrap.

I apply for MFA Painting, in conclusion

Yale - Interviewed / Rejected

RISD - Accepted

SAIC - Accepted

MICA - Accepted but my application was transferred to Mount Royal (interdisciplinary)

Hope everybody the best :)

MICA results are out???

2 hours ago, Inthemiddleofariddle said:

Hey congrats! I am wondering when you heard back from mica? 

3 minutes ago, ninja35 said:

MICA results are out???

Hey there, sorry I should put more information.

I applied for LeRoy E. HoffBerger, had an interview with the Program Director.

On 27th Feb they sent me a message that my work would fit more in MountRoyal as they are interdisciplinary. The Program Director at MountRoyal accepted me and wants to arrange a short 10 minutes interview. By this time, I had already decided that I would go to either RISD/SAIC and wait for Yale. I didn't want to waste his time, so I ended up withdrawing.

The official notification for MICA will come around Mid March, so don't worry guys.

8 minutes ago, anonymousartstudent said:

Congrats!!!Will you choose Columbia over Yale

Nor sure! Depends on financial aid I guess. During my columbia interview I learned I was in the running for a fully funded fellowship, which would be a huge amazing offer. I also know yale tends to be extremely generous with their aid, so I guess we will see !

4 minutes ago, tmngc said:

Nor sure! Depends on financial aid I guess. During my columbia interview I learned I was in the running for a fully funded fellowship, which would be a huge amazing offer. I also know yale tends to be extremely generous with their aid, so I guess we will see !

wow huge congrats to yale!

columbia pretty much let you know in the interview then that you were pretty much accepted right? your work must be amazing!

srsly crazy!! i didn't even know columbia offered fully funded scholarships 

3 minutes ago, tmngc said:

Hey can you explain a little bit? How did they tell you during the interview that you are running for a fully funded fellowship? I also ask them about funding during my interview with Columbia and they told me that there is guaranteed need based scholarship but it won’t cover the full tuition. And yes Yale gives money based on your income and they will probably give you a full ride.

11 minutes ago, sussy.spacek said:

Got rejected from Yale, which I'm surprised by because I felt like my interview went super well. Sort of bummed, but getting over it because I do have offers from other schools so this made making a decision easier.

sorry to hear that but I guess you will be going to Cornell? And they didn’t reach me for an interview so I guess it’s a no. I will probably withdraw my application.

1 minute ago, anonymousartstudent said:

sorry to hear that but I guess you will be going to Cornell? And they didn’t reach me for an interview so I guess it’s a no. I will probably withdraw my application.

It's between Cornell and Rutgers (I deferred last year because I'm doing a Fulbright right now). I really love the community at Rutgers, and the current cohort (whom I met most of at interview day) are all amazingly talented. I think Cornell being isolated in Ithaca + small studio spaces is a con for me; however, they have more of the academic resources aligned with my studio work (i.e., I borrow a lot from the scholarship - books, essays, journals - developed specifically in one of the departments at Cornell). All of my current mentors/advisors for my Fulbright research are Cornell alums -but in anthropology, cultural studies, history, etc. (with some crossover to art history) - and are really gunning for me to attend. A colleague of mine told me to go to grad school for the connections with advisors, professors, mentors, and I think that's what I'm going to really sit down and think about as I decide... 🤪

1 hour ago, anonymousartstudent said:

Hey can you explain a little bit? How did they tell you during the interview that you are running for a fully funded fellowship? I also ask them about funding during my interview with Columbia and they told me that there is guaranteed need based scholarship but it won’t cover the full tuition. And yes Yale gives money based on your income and they will probably give you a full ride.

Yes of course! So techically i didnt learn from the interviewers themselves that that it's fully funded, but I did learn from them that I'm in the running for the fellowship, which they described as "a special opportunity." it also sounded like it's only for printmakers. Later that same day, I spoke to an old acquaintance of mine who recently graduated from columbia's visual art MFA program, and they told me that the fellowship is typically fully funded, and is only awarded to a single student every year.

in hindsight, i could be wrong about it being fully funded if my acquaintance was misinformed or has outdated information.

maybe i jumped to that conclusion too quickly in my excitement haha. especially since—at this point—i still haven't even heard back from columbia. for all i know i might not even get in. so it's really totally inconclusive as of right now

Edited by tmnc

9 minutes ago, tmnc said:

Yes of course! So techically i didnt learn from the interviewers themselves that that it's fully funded, but I did learn from them that I'm in the running for the fellowship, which they described as "a special opportunity." it also sounded like it's only for printmakers. Later that same day, I spoke to an old acquaintance of mine who recently graduated from columbia's visual art MFA program, and they told me that the fellowship is typically fully funded, and is only awarded to a single student every year.

in hindsight, i could be wrong about it being fully funded if my acquaintance was misinformed or has outdated information. maybe i jumped to that conclusion too quickly in my excitement haha

I can corroborate and say that friends of mine who've attended Columbia have said that the only fully funded opportunity is in printmaking and the scholarship name is the LeRoy and Janet Neiman Scholarship. It's because an artist LeRoy Neiman has a massive endowment and for whatever reason it goes to just printmaking applicants.

18 minutes ago, tmnc said:

in hindsight, i could be wrong about it being fully funded if my acquaintance was misinformed or has outdated information.

maybe i jumped to that conclusion too quickly in my excitement haha. especially since—at this point—i still haven't even heard back from columbia. for all i know i might not even get in. so it's really totally inconclusive as of right now

Haha thank you for your reply. I also learned this from the current graduate who was doing zoom touring that one print media or sculpture student gets a full fellowship don’t remember which one is. Anyways congrats on your acceptance to Yale with possible full scholarship again!! I am just gonna continue waiting for Columbia. Hopefully good news will come next week💧

2 minutes ago, anonymousartstudent said:

Haha thank you for your reply. I also learned this from the current graduate who was doing zoom touring that one print media or sculpture student gets a full fellowship don’t remember which one is. Anyways congrats on your acceptance to Yale with possible full scholarship again!! I am just gonna continue waiting for Columbia. Hopefully good news will come next week💧

Yesss, crossing my fingers for acceptances for both of us !!!

1 hour ago, sussy.spacek said:

It's between Cornell and Rutgers (I deferred last year because I'm doing a Fulbright right now). I really love the community at Rutgers, and the current cohort (whom I met most of at interview day) are all amazingly talented. I think Cornell being isolated in Ithaca + small studio spaces is a con for me; however, they have more of the academic resources aligned with my studio work (i.e., I borrow a lot from the scholarship - books, essays, journals - developed specifically in one of the departments at Cornell). All of my current mentors/advisors for my Fulbright research are Cornell alums -but in anthropology, cultural studies, history, etc. (with some crossover to art history) - and are really gunning for me to attend. A colleague of mine told me to go to grad school for the connections with advisors, professors, mentors, and I think that's what I'm going to really sit down and think about as I decide... 🤪

Thank you for sharing. I was gonna do Fulbright with Oxford this year but I missed the deadline. I also didn’t receive any scholarship update from Oxford this point. I assume I will not get any money if I end up going to Oxford. I just hope I can get into Columbia with at least 50% of scholarship then I will be able to consider to do my PHD at Oxford with Fulbright💧

And my sister is an undergrad at Cornell now and yes it is a very isolated place and a good friend of mine just graduated from Cornell MFA also told me it is not a good place for your mental health…..🌚

Edited by anonymousartstudent

23 minutes ago, sussy.spacek said:

I can corroborate and say that friends of mine who've attended Columbia have said that the only fully funded opportunity is in printmaking and the scholarship name is the LeRoy and Janet Neiman Scholarship. It's because an artist LeRoy Neiman has a massive endowment and for whatever reason it goes to just printmaking applicants.

Funny thing is that leory Neiman graduated from SAIC I believe. He also donated tons of money to SAIC and I remember we have a building/gallery also under his name.

Would anyone be open to sharing a list of fellowships, foundations, grants to apply to and other ideas of ways to fund MFA studies? This is in addition to completing the FAFSA and CSS profiles. I missed the deadline for Fulbright and SSHRC but am wondering if there are other funding sources that I am unaware of for Canada and US? Thank you! 

2 hours ago, mfahopefulfunding said:

Would anyone be open to sharing a list of fellowships, foundations, grants to apply to and other ideas of ways to fund MFA studies? This is in addition to completing the FAFSA and CSS profiles. I missed the deadline for Fulbright and SSHRC but am wondering if there are other funding sources that I am unaware of for Canada and US? Thank you! 

hey I am wondering if u are an U.S citizen? If so, how do you apply for Fulbright for schools in the U.S? Just curious, I thought it is either for US citizens to study abroad or non-US citizens to study in the U.S? 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻