MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

On 3/1/2023 at 4:26 PM, ponyonotaleaf said:

Hi everyone! I am an international student applying for 3yr graphic design program.

Application status:

RISD (Accepted)

Calarts(Silence)

CCA (Interviewed)

ArtCenter(Silence)

University of Washington (Interview scheduled)

Did anyone hear from ArtCenter about graphic design interviews?

Update: CCA - accepted

5 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

I was interviewed for Cranbrook, but it was for the ceramics program so maybe its specific to the department. Or maybe your portfolio was just so amazing they figured they didn't need to interview you!

haha let's hope it's the second reason 😁
omg i hope your interview went well and good luck!!

2 hours ago, Sweetie123 said:

In one of my acceptance letters, a faculty member attached this PDF - it shows all the schools that give incoming grad students until April 15th to make their decisions. I know some schools are pressuring me and others to make a decision, but if your school is listed on this PDF, then you have until April 15th. FYI. I hope everyone is hanging in there x 

https://cgsnet.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/CGS_April15_Resolution_Mar62023.pdf

Thanks for sharing this! Happened to me with a school who pushed for a deadline in March and threatened to pull funding from me. Was able to get a letter from the Dean confirming the faculty member who was pushing me was in the wrong. Taking my time to make the best decision for me. 

7 minutes ago, thisisnotapipe said:

Thanks for sharing this! Happened to me with a school who pushed for a deadline in March and threatened to pull funding from me. Was able to get a letter from the Dean confirming the faculty member who was pushing me was in the wrong. Taking my time to make the best decision for me. 

Omg I'm so glad you followed up with the dean and can now take your time without worrying about the funding getting pulled. Yay!

2 hours ago, Inthemiddleofariddle said:

I just got accepted to Boston University for painting today!!! A little surprised but excited, I'm still waiting to hear back from some other programs though, but this was my first acceptance so far and it feels good. I am ready for this process to be over though 😭 

Stay strong everyone!!! 

Congratulations! I also got accepted to Boston University today too! would you mind sharing what financial package you received? I got 40% on top of the 50% the whole art school does. So total would pay 18k per year. I have a similar offer from PAFA and NYAA and I'm starting the negotiation process for all schools.

29 minutes ago, poppingballoons said:

got an email about an hour ago accepted into pratt for communications design!!! 

I also just got the acceptance from pratt for CD but no words on scholarships... Does your acceptance include any info on funding??

2 minutes ago, Fawn said:

I also just got the acceptance from pratt for CD but no words on scholarships... Does your acceptance include any info on funding??

i didnt see anything either… reading on their graduate accepted page that “Students are automatically considered for financial aid AFTER an admissions decision has been made” so maybe we’ll hear something soon ?

4 minutes ago, poppingballoons said:

i didnt see anything either… reading on their graduate accepted page that “Students are automatically considered for financial aid AFTER an admissions decision has been made” so maybe we’ll hear something soon ?

Just so you know I did get a scholarship in my letter. Could definitely be better lol. Maybe they're still figuring out funding but it couldn't hurt to get in touch and ask.

1 hour ago, onetwothreefourfive said:

I just received a phone call from northwestern accepting me into the program. Extremely excited!

Congrats!! Nice to know someone was contacted by Northwestern...I've seen on a previous forum that someone was admitted via phone call and the very next day they admitted someone else via phone call. 

Did they also send an email about how much stipend they offered you? 

14 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Congrats!! Nice to know someone was contacted by Northwestern...I've seen on a previous forum that someone was admitted via phone call and the very next day they admitted someone else via phone call. 

Did they also send an email about how much stipend they offered you? 

Yeah for sure, really hope you get a call tomorrow! I haven’t gotten the official email yet. 

1 hour ago, redCat said:

Just so you know I did get a scholarship in my letter. Could definitely be better lol. Maybe they're still figuring out funding but it couldn't hurt to get in touch and ask.

ohh thanks for the info! Guess I didn't get anything then... I'm an international student so I'm not eligible for financial aid. I already got better offers but I'm gonna email them anyway. Thanks again!

Just now, Fawn said:

ohh thanks for the info! Guess I didn't get anything then... I'm an international student so I'm not eligible for financial aid. I already got better offers but I'm gonna email them anyway. Thanks again!

Definitely reach out! The process might just be different. For another school I wasn't considered for aid until I emailed them asking about it so you never know. Good luck!

13 minutes ago, onetwothreefourfive said:

Yeah for sure, really hope you get a call tomorrow! I haven’t gotten the official email yet. 

Thanks!! I hope I get a call too, this entire process is very stressful. I'm stuck between holding onto my last hope (NW) and thinking about what I may do if I had to apply all over again for the 3rd time. If I'm not selected I'm going to try to get a job as a private school art teacher and create art to add new things to my portfolio. It would be a devastating reality for me, fingers crossed option 1 happens...but if it doesn't I can't cry about it, just have to work harder to become a stronger applicant 

7 hours ago, reallyfamousartist said:

Anyone have experience with asking for a deferral? I don't want to, but I might have to defer a year. I'm nervous about asking-- Does anybody have tips on how I should go about it? lol pls help 🙃

Also: curious bc I can't find any info on this, nor did I ask bc I don't intend on going here anyway, but-- how many students are in the SAIC painting program? 

I asked about deferral here last week too... Following the topic in case anyone has good insight about deferring at a full-residency program. 

My own two cents, from my last time in MFAs (Bard dropout here), was that they allowed people to take summers off (it's a low-res program) but I don't know if anyone ever deferred their first year. So, a lot of people would put off their second year or third year and in the end, the classes became very mixed (when I was there, there was only one student graduating in Film/Video because everyone else had deferred that summer).