MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

17 hours ago, mfamfa said:

columbia sculpture notification anyone ?

Still haven't heard back from Columbia (printmaking) after interviewing over 3 weeks ago now. At this point I'm assuming i didnt get in, but I guess there is still a chance.

Still waiting on Yale's financial aid office too, has anyone heard back from them?

On 3/16/2023 at 5:33 PM, cornchip said:

Does anyone have insight into Tyler they want to share? This is looking like my best option right now. I so appreciate that they are a funded program and can provide stipends as well. I'm just not sure it's the right fit for me. I was accepted into the Fiber program, but I'm curious to hear any opinions on Tyler and Philly in general!

I currently live in philly, its a pretty great city, awesome restaurants, super easy to get around the city, it's got some rough edges but it's not as bad as people will tell you, its safe for a large city. Also Philly still has an identity to it, it's unlike anywhere I've ever been in the US

2 hours ago, Thursdayhasnofeel said:

I currently live in philly, its a pretty great city, awesome restaurants, super easy to get around the city, it's got some rough edges but it's not as bad as people will tell you, its safe for a large city. Also Philly still has an identity to it, it's unlike anywhere I've ever been in the US

Good to hear! It was so hard to get a vibe for the entire city after only being there for a few days and in a specific area. 

On 3/17/2023 at 3:52 PM, borg said:

Sorry to bring this up again, but it seems like some decisions from Hunter were already sent out this week - has anyone heard anything? 🥲🥲 

I just received their admission letter this afternoon. I think they are still processing the applications, so don’t worry if you haven’t heard anything yet.

10 minutes ago, c0c0 said:

I just received their admission letter this afternoon. I think they are still processing the applications, so don’t worry if you haven’t heard anything yet.

congrats and thank you!! i also just heard back with an admission letter, as well!!

3 hours ago, Thursdayhasnofeel said:

I don't quite agree as I have lived here in the Frankfort Market area and commuted to work at Market Street for years.

The crime and homicides were pretty bad when I was there from 1997 until 2004 and had gotten worse by the time I left to Salt Lake City. My older friend got accosted and nearly assaulted on SEPTA one afternoon. 

Even City Center was pretty desolate and bad. If one attends Temple I would recommend avoiding Kensington and North Philly. I think Northern Liberties was all right but walking around downtown was not particularly good to me by myself late nights. Even South Street has gotten a lot worse.

I do like ICA on U Penn campus and the Museum but the only safe area I felt was probably around the Rittenhouse Sqaure area.

44 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I don't quite agree as I have lived here in the Frankfort Market area and commuted to work at Market Street for years.

The crime and homicides were pretty bad when I was there from 1997 until 2004 and had gotten worse by the time I left to Salt Lake City. My older friend got accosted and nearly assaulted on SEPTA one afternoon. 

Even City Center was pretty desolate and bad. If one attends Temple I would recommend avoiding Kensington and North Philly. I think Northern Liberties was all right but walking around downtown was not particularly good to me by myself late nights. Even South Street has gotten a lot worse.

I do like ICA on U Penn campus and the Museum but the only safe area I felt was probably around the Rittenhouse Sqaure area.

dude that was almost 20 years ago? the city has definitely changed since then 

Well everyone, I went ahead and accepted a great offer from NMSU.

They were offering in-state tuition ($6k/yr), a 10 or 20hr/week GA'ship worth $5k or $10k/semester, and 2 credits of tuition remission if I accepted by yesterday 3/20. Was holding out for Boise State and NTNU in Norway, but the stress and anxiety have just been unreal this past month. I decided to just make a decision! Obviously, still nervous to pack up and move across the country, but I'm ready to get out of my comfort zone and experience something new.

Thanks to everyone on this sub for the support, made me feel like I wasn't so crazy.  These threads get archived, so it will be fun looking back and reminiscing on this process in 5-10 years. Good luck to you all in your pursuits, and once you accept, go out and treat yourself! 

21 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Still awaiting financial aid results from ArtCenter and hopefully I can hear back soon. Calarts probably next week? No decision yet.

I went to the accepted students event at CalArts last week and they said CalArts financial aid packages would be sent out this week.

Got my final rejection... from Calarts. Here is the final tally.

MFA PROGRAM Fall 2023 CONCENTRATION STATUS

Yale University Sculpture Rejected
Yale University Painting and Printmaking Rejected
UCLA New Genres Rejected
Columbia University Printmaking Rejected
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Painting/Drawing Rejected
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Photography Accepted
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Sculpture Rejected
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Art (Integrated Media) Rejected
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Art + Technology (Integrated Media) Rejected
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Photography and Media (Integrated Media) Rejected
ArtCenter College of Design Art Accepted

11 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Got my final rejection... from Calarts. Here is the final tally.

MFA PROGRAM Fall 2023 CONCENTRATION STATUS

Yale University Painting and Printmaking Rejected
UCLA New Genres Rejected
Columbia University Printmaking Rejected
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Painting/Drawing Rejected
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Photography Accepted
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Sculpture Rejected
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Art (Integrated Media) Rejected
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Art + Technology (Integrated Media) Rejected
Calarts (California Institute of the Arts) Photography and Media (Integrated Media) Rejected
ArtCenter College of Design Art Accepted

Congrats on those acceptances! Are you leaning towards Chicago or Artcenter?

29 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

Yeah, I applied this year. Did you apply as well? 

yes! really anxious to hear back. should be next month according to their FAQ. There was no essay to apply and not letters of recommendation so this process feels even more mysterious than the MFA process!! 

I remember stalking their 2022 cohort and it looks like I a lot of the people they accept are in the middle of their MFA or have already completed one...

9 minutes ago, cornchip said:

yes! really anxious to hear back. should be next month according to their FAQ. There was no essay to apply and not letters of recommendation so this process feels even more mysterious than the MFA process!! 

I remember stalking their 2022 cohort and it looks like I a lot of the people they accept are in the middle of their MFA or have already completed one...

Yeah, it is very competitive. I applied in the same way I buy a lottery ticket. Not expecting to win or get in, but hoping.

Have you decided on a grad program?  

10 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

Yeah, it is very competitive. I applied in the same way I buy a lottery ticket. Not expecting to win or get in, but hoping.

Have you decided on a grad program?  

No, I'm feeling torn and disillusioned lol. I feel like I've been conditioned to think the next step to get to where I want to be is getting a degree, then another degree...but I'm beginning to wonder how different my life would be after the program. It feels like a gamble and I wonder if the things that I'm looking for in a program (critique, community, connections) I can simply find for myself where I am now. That being said though I have a very good offer from Tyler, and if I go, it would probably be there. 

Hey everyone! I committed to Boston University's graphic design MFA today. If anyone else is going and would like to connect send me a message! Good luck to everyone else!!

Anyways here was my final list of schools for reference:

Yale - rejected, no interview

RISD - rejected, no interview

SVA - accepted, interview

MICA - accepted, interview

BU - accepted, interview

Tufts SMFA - accepted, interview

Cambridge School of Visual + Performing Arts - accepted, interview

Pratt - accepted, no interview

Suffolk - accepted, no interview

Hello everyone, I have an update!

After evaluating my options, I have decided to attend Indiana-Bloomington! 🎉🎉🎉

I would love to connect with anyone who has also committed there. I'm a graphic designer, but I also do photography and am looking to get into printmaking!

I never heard back from Michigan State or Florida State, but I'm assuming I've been rejected. I will post the final results when they eventually come.

School Results
Michigan State Haven't heard back.
Missouri Accepted.
Iowa Accepted.
Wisconsin-Madison Rejected.
Georgia State Accepted.
Arizona Rejected.
Indiana-Bloomington Accepted and committed. 🎉🎉
Ohio Accepted.
Florida State Haven't heard back.
Nebraska-Lincoln Rejected.
University of Oklahoma Put on waitlist.
Kansas State Rejected.

Here's an update. Finally heard back from all schools, but because of all the waitlist placements I probably have another few weeks before I make any final decision. 

Program Medium Status
UCLA Ceramics Rejected
UC Davis Interdisciplinary  Rejected
Rutgers Interdisciplinary  Rejected
UC Irvine Interdisciplinary  Waitlisted
UT Austin Sculpture Waitlisted
UMass Amherst Interdisciplinary  Waitlisted
Carnegie Mellon Interdisciplinary  Waitlisted
ASU Ceramics Accepted
UCONN Interdisciplinary  Accepted
RISD Ceramics Accepted