MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 hour ago, d.arren said:

Got accepted to UM, and while it feels nice to have a first official acceptance come in, I feel a bit dumb because I thought they had full tuition remission and turns out it was 75% all along haha.

Congratulations! that is exciting you have an offer on the table! yay! I'm pretty new to this all, so what school are you talking about when you say UM? U Maryland? 

Just now, d.arren said:

Thanks so much! And it's University of Michigan.

Oooh got it, I was under the impression that Michigan was full tuition waiver as well! It's so hard to keep track of all the schools and some schools aren't very upfront about the funding, so don't feel dumb!! 

5 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

Oooh got it, I was under the impression that Michigan was full tuition waiver as well! It's so hard to keep track of all the schools and some schools aren't very upfront about the funding, so don't feel dumb!! 

Yeah, so on the website it says 75% but it seems like full coverage might still be possible. I remember someone on here saying that last year they got full tuition remission and I'm assuming a better stipend than the one I was offered as well. I still need to figure out a few things and maybe talk to some current students to see whether it's the right fit for me, but there might be room for negotiation still. You're right though, it can be a pain keeping track of this all, and though I know it's a fortunate position to get this much funding even, I just can't do anything that's not going to be full remission and a somewhat livable stipend.

16 minutes ago, d.arren said:

Yeah, so on the website it says 75% but it seems like full coverage might still be possible. I remember someone on here saying that last year they got full tuition remission and I'm assuming a better stipend than the one I was offered as well. I still need to figure out a few things and maybe talk to some current students to see whether it's the right fit for me, but there might be room for negotiation still. You're right though, it can be a pain keeping track of this all, and though I know it's a fortunate position to get this much funding even, I just can't do anything that's not going to be full remission and a somewhat livable stipend.

Oh I completely understand - I'm in the same boat as you - I was just accepted into a program with full tuition remission, but wouldn't get a stipend until the second year. I wish I could be flexible with money stuff, but I can't. 

8 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

Oh I completely understand - I'm in the same boat as you - I was just accepted into a program with full tuition remission, but wouldn't get a stipend until the second year. I wish I could be flexible with money stuff, but I can't. 

Well congratulations on the acceptance, but I understand that's a really unfortunate situation and would be annoyed if I was in your position as well. Hoping for an acceptance for you at somewhere else with full funding!

1 hour ago, scraps said:

what do people consider a livable stipend in terms of graduate funding? i was offered 10,000 from a school (with tuition remission) but that doesn't seem like enough to live off of...

Definitely not enough to live on in my opinion, and certainly implies a need to have a summer job or other source of income to get by. UT Austin provides a 20K stipend after tuition remission and I think that is far more manageable. This being said, I'd look into what kind of grants and scholarships the school has because those can be a big difference maker. 10K with a sizable materials grant and decent scholarship can make things way less stressful, especially if many students are able to secure such funding. I would research this for the program in question and also ask current grads how they're making it work to get a better idea how possible it is. 

Edited by biklo

21 hours ago, Starrr said:

Hi Ninja35, glad to know someone else here is waiting for Package Des from Pratt. Looks like last year, people posted acceptances from the program in middle/end of March. Also, did you happen to get an interview for SVA before your decision? Man this is stressful 😭

Hey! I had an interview with SVA. This waiting game is so stressful! Mind sharing where have you applied and what's the status?

I have a few questions regarding posts I saw go up in last year's thread that I couldn't find answers to... asking them here in case anyone else has sifted through other years' forums and is better at reading-comprehension that yours truly.

1. Does anyone know about protocol regarding deferring MFA admission for a year? is it a thing that's [ever/been] done?

2. People last year (and I believe the year prior) said that UCLA "doesn't always interview" the students it admits. Is this purely anecdotal or has anyone seen this be the case with admitted students on GradCafe or know someone it happened to?

3. I know we're all waiting on any word from UCLA... Does anyone have any indication that their recommenders have been contacted? 

1 hour ago, soph8ahotdog said:

I have a few questions regarding posts I saw go up in last year's thread that I couldn't find answers to... asking them here in case anyone else has sifted through other years' forums and is better at reading-comprehension that yours truly.

1. Does anyone know about protocol regarding deferring MFA admission for a year? is it a thing that's [ever/been] done?

2. People last year (and I believe the year prior) said that UCLA "doesn't always interview" the students it admits. Is this purely anecdotal or has anyone seen this be the case with admitted students on GradCafe or know someone it happened to?

3. I know we're all waiting on any word from UCLA... Does anyone have any indication that their recommenders have been contacted? 

I think deferment is super rare and mostly it happened during COVID.

I am also waiting for UCLA so no idea. If it doesn't interview people for openings I would be stunned?

Slightly dumb question guys. If a schools says you are "currently first on the waitlist" do you think that means you're

a) the first person they have put on the waitlist so far

or

b) ranked #1 on the waitlist with other students behind you?

asking for another friend who is on the waitlist at numerous schools

Edited by AJJAY

24 minutes ago, AJJAY said:

Slightly dumb question guys. If a schools says you are "currently first on the waitlist" do you think that means you're

a) the first person they have put on the waitlist so far

or

b) ranked #1 on the waitlist with other students behind you?

asking for another friend who is on the waitlist at numerous schools

I’d assume it means b.) ranked #1 

5 hours ago, ninja35 said:

Hey! I had an interview with SVA. This waiting game is so stressful! Mind sharing where have you applied and what's the status?

SVA- accepted

Pratt- confirmed they are reviewing my scholarship application but I'm waiting for an interview or decision. Package des seems to be taking long, they're still accepting applications. And comm design too.

BU Graphic Design- Interviewed

Parsons Comm. Design - silence 😳

On 2/27/2023 at 12:17 AM, soph8ahotdog said:

Yeah, I kind of asked about funding in my interview and it sounds like if one (1) person gets a full ride next year, that would be lucky. "Down the line," they'd like to strive for all 30+ but it seems like they're a long way from that and like the Zwirner auction didn't produce the results they were hoping for.

That's a bummer. Would have been nice if they were more transparent about the outcome. Well-intentioned, but slightly misleading...

Yesterday I got my acceptance to Pratt with a generous scholarship, I was really hoping for Tulane originally but then yesterday I was almost feeling like I’d be disappointed if I got into Tulane because I feel like I would have no choice but take the free ride but was starting to get really excited for Pratt. Couple hours later I got my official rejection from Tulane! My decision has pretty much been made, Pratt it is!!!! I got into SVA too but so far it’s looking like all I got for scholarship is $5,000 a year possible work study? Ever since my interview with Pratt I’ve been the most excited about their program so I think what was supposed to happen did!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Forms Without Formula said:

Yesterday I got my acceptance to Pratt with a generous scholarship, I was really hoping for Tulane originally but then yesterday I was almost feeling like I’d be disappointed if I got into Tulane because I feel like I would have no choice but take the free ride but was starting to get really excited for Pratt. Couple hours later I got my official rejection from Tulane! My decision has pretty much been made, Pratt it is!!!! I got into SVA too but so far it’s looking like all I got for scholarship is $5,000 a year possible work study? Ever since my interview with Pratt I’ve been the most excited about their program so I think what was supposed to happen did!!!!!!!

Congrats and good luck in your artistic future! Proud of you mate