Canadian SLP admission

Hello,

I am interested in applying to canadian slp grad schools for the next admissions cycle (2023). I'm not really sure if I have a competitive gpa for applying, right now my sGPA is sitting around 3.41. However I am thinking about doing extra courses to increase my gpa. Almost all the universities say that they accept gpa's over 3.3 but anytime I've reached out to ask about the competetive gpa I haven't gotten a clear response. Does anyone know what a competetive gpa would be for most universities and also what extracurricular activities they had before applying and also what their gpa was????

• 2 weeks later...

It varies a lot by university. Some programs (e.g., McGill) look mostly at cGPA while others (e.g., UoT) are more forgiving (i.e., have a more holistic approach). Your application will go through several rounds of review so while you may make it through Round 1 by meeting the minimum GPA cutoff, you'll almost certainly get filtered out in Round 2 where you're up against people with 3.8-4.0. Of course GPA isn't everything and some schools have a more holistic approach to reviewing your application. 

Off the top of my head, University of Western Ontario, McGill, Dalhousie, and Ottawa would be bad choices for you based on your GPA. Check out UoT - they accept more student and their admissions requirements aren't as brutal as the schools mentioned above.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 8:28 PM, hrdrean_145 said:

Hello,

I am interested in applying to canadian slp grad schools for the next admissions cycle (2023). I'm not really sure if I have a competitive gpa for applying, right now my sGPA is sitting around 3.41. However I am thinking about doing extra courses to increase my gpa. Almost all the universities say that they accept gpa's over 3.3 but anytime I've reached out to ask about the competetive gpa I haven't gotten a clear response. Does anyone know what a competetive gpa would be for most universities and also what extracurricular activities they had before applying and also what their gpa was????

Most are anywhere from 3.7-4.0 realistically 3.8-4.0 but definitely depends on other aspects of your application as well