Chicago, IL

basille

I've heard a lot of people talk about not walking alone at night.  I was wondering around what time do people consider it dangerous to walk around.  If I'm walking back to my apartment at around 9:30pm in the Hyde Park area, will it be dangerous?

I've heard a lot of people talk about not walking alone at night.  I was wondering around what time do people consider it dangerous to walk around.  If I'm walking back to my apartment at around 9:30pm in the Hyde Park area, will it be dangerous?
Depends on what you mean by Hyde Park area! There's also a big difference between the winter months and the summer (given that Chicago's "spring" doesn't fully take hold until mid May, you're basically looking at winter and summer). In the winter there's a lot less crime because it's too cold to bother chasing undergrads around. In the summer, you're not worried about frostbite, and you also have a lot of kids who are on school vacation - and hence bored and traveling in packs. Anywho. 9:30 should be fine if you keep to the busier streets - for example, north of campus, I'd use 55th and 53rd to get east/west, and Woodlawn to get north/south. Try to minimize the time you'll be spending walking by yourself on a dark and unpopulated street. In general, if you can see other people around you, you're fine. Some people recommend walking in the middle of the road, but I only think that's necessary if it's very late at night (past 1) or if you feel particularly sketched out. I'd say that in those cases, it's easier to take one of the night shuttles or call the Drunk Van.

@biscuits how do you feel about east Hyde Park?  Also would you feel safe running/cycling along the lakefront early in the morning?  

East Hyde Park is actually fairly nice and has a lot of students (though perhaps less so now that the old Shoreland dorm has closed, but the other apartment buildings are still there). There are a lot of tasty restaurants and you're relatively close to both the Metra and the 6 bus, which are both much faster ways of getting downtown than the Red Line. Also, I think that the University has been busily building up 55th and 53rd street since I graduated in 2009, so I imagine there is a lot more foot traffic. Be a bit careful as you drift northwards from 53rd, as there are areas where there aren't a lot of buildings and you'll be strolling through empty stretches at night.

As for using the lakefront in the morning, I'd say you are fine if you are male, but you should take extra precautions if you happen to be female. Some areas of the lakefront trail are fairly isolated from the road/other people, and there were a few reports of rape/attempted rape during my time there. Again, quite rare, but it might be a good idea to carry some pepper spray. 

East Hyde Park is actually fairly nice and has a lot of students (though perhaps less so now that the old Shoreland dorm has closed, but the other apartment buildings are still there). There are a lot of tasty restaurants and you're relatively close to both the Metra and the 6 bus, which are both much faster ways of getting downtown than the Red Line. Also, I think that the University has been busily building up 55th and 53rd street since I graduated in 2009, so I imagine there is a lot more foot traffic. Be a bit careful as you drift northwards from 53rd, as there are areas where there aren't a lot of buildings and you'll be strolling through empty stretches at night.

As for using the lakefront in the morning, I'd say you are fine if you are male, but you should take extra precautions if you happen to be female. Some areas of the lakefront trail are fairly isolated from the road/other people, and there were a few reports of rape/attempted rape during my time there. Again, quite rare, but it might be a good idea to carry some pepper spray. 

Two of my roommates (one male, one female) have gotten mugged around Greenwood and 52nd in the middle of the afternoon for no good reason except for the fact that were in the wrong place at the wrong time. These were two separate incidents, and they weren't flashing their iPhones or what-not around either. Random attacks, basically. Don't let it scare you off, but please exercise caution. Whenever streets look empty (whether in daylight or during the night), I'd advise you to take the busier streets even if it'll add 3-5 minutes to the walk; minimize the amount of time you have to spend on empty streets, basically.

This is for people going to UIC grad school! I am going to UIC for a graduate program and I wondering whether or not I should move on campus which would cost around $13,000 a year for a one bedroom apartment. This includes all amities except internet which is only $10 a month. I know living in chicago is expensive. I would be saving time in commute and close to a bunch of amenities on campus...Would I be able to live in a nice neighborhood relatively close to UIC for less than this amount? If so, could you give me some suggestions on locations?

Thanks!

Jenny

I'm looking at apartments in the Hyde Park / East Hyde Park area and the photos of some buildings look wonderful, but then I saw some scathing Yelp reviews of people urinating in the elevators, rampant bike theft from the secure bike room and air conditioning that doesn't cool, only circulate the smell of weed.  Does anyone have any advice on what to do since I can't do a physical inspection?  How much credibility does say 3 reviews on Yelp have?  Does anyone have experience of the Mayfair or Blackwood apartment buildings, or can they recommend another building close to the lakefront/metra in Hyde Park?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking at apartments in the Hyde Park / East Hyde Park area and the photos of some buildings look wonderful, but then I saw some scathing Yelp reviews of people urinating in the elevators, rampant bike theft from the secure bike room and air conditioning that doesn't cool, only circulate the smell of weed.  Does anyone have any advice on what to do since I can't do a physical inspection?  How much credibility does say 3 reviews on Yelp have?  Does anyone have experience of the Mayfair or Blackwood apartment buildings, or can they recommend another building close to the lakefront/metra in Hyde Park?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would email the DGS for your program and ask them to put you in touch with some current students in your program. It'll help you socialize and make connections, but you can also solicit reliable information about housing. I started talking to some of the people in my program and I'm receiving roommate offers/suggestions from the people I trust the most.

In general, I would take the Yelp reviews at face value. Someone probably didn't flat out lie in the review, but they may have exaggerated a bit. That said, craziness happens on college campuses. Stercus accidit.

Curious if anyone here has experience renting an apartment directly from UofC.

Some of their grad housing  (http://rp.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing/index.shtml) looks decent and pretty comparable price-wise to renting a 1-bedroom in Hyde Park independently, maybe even a little cheaper. The idea of having something lined up before getting there and not having to worry about hunting for a place is really appealing.

I guess I'm curious about (a) how nice the apartments actually are, since there are no pictures of the units and (B) what the environment in grad housing is like -- e.g. does it feel like living in a dorm (bad)? what percentage of grad students rent from the univ? and so on..

I'm also curious if anyone has any sense of the rates of turnover and which buildings tend to have the most vacancy, and hence have students assigned to them most regularly.

Curious if anyone here has experience renting an apartment directly from UofC.

Some of their grad housing  (http://rp.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing/index.shtml) looks decent and pretty comparable price-wise to renting a 1-bedroom in Hyde Park independently, maybe even a little cheaper. The idea of having something lined up before getting there and not having to worry about hunting for a place is really appealing.

I guess I'm curious about (a) how nice the apartments actually are, since there are no pictures of the units and ( B) what the environment in grad housing is like -- e.g. does it feel like living in a dorm (bad)? what percentage of grad students rent from the univ? and so on..

I'm also curious if anyone has any sense of the rates of turnover and which buildings tend to have the most vacancy, and hence have students assigned to them most regularly.

I went to UChicago visiting days and the housing lady who did our orientation basically said that you don't get to pick which building you go into. Unless you have a super preference for VERY specific reasons (i.e. family, disabilities, allergies, pets), you just list what you want and they shove you somewhere. Basically, you would say: "I'm interested in living in a building that has XXX and I don't want to live with a roommate. I would prefer to live closer to this side of campus and I require that the apartment be furnished." And so on....

I'm starting grad school at St. Xavier in Chicago this fall. Those of you who currently or are going to attend, where do you live/where are you thinking about living? Do you live on campus or off? My dad is pushing on campus but I'm pretty hesitant to live in graduate housing. Any help would be much appreciated :)

I can't speak about grad housing, though I have heard generally good things about it, and the prices are competitive with the surrounding properties.

The further west you go, the cheaper the housing will be and the more you will get for your buck, especially if you're not adverse to living with roommates. There are some really great places going for as cheap as $450 a month northwest of campus, which includes A/C, heat, in-unit laundry, electricity, gas, hot water, and internet. The problem is, of course, the further west you go, the farther you will be to almost everything. You won't be close to the school (~15-20 minute walk which is not terrible, but you'll hate it in the winter), and you won't be all that close to groceries, though you will be moderately close to the bus stop depending on where you live (but some of the bus routes go in loops, so it can still be inconvenient, either getting to campus or back). If you are looking at specific streets, I can probably say more about how convenient it is to live there by location.

South of 60th street, prices also get lower, because that area is generally considered to be less safe. I haven't lived down there, so I can't say for certain how dangerous it is. Location-wise, it's not terribly convenient either. There are basically no grocery stores south of 57th street, unless you want to consider University-owned convenience stores "grocery stores." (The two main ones in Hyde Park are located on 55th and 53rd, so if you want to buy groceries, you will probably end up having to take the bus.)

The further east you go towards the lake, the pricier the apartments will become, as East Hyde Park is where most of the stores and shops are located. Woodlawn and Kimbark are known as the "ghetto" areas. By "ghetto," I simply mean that lots of undergrads tend to live there, so the units are typically in poorer condition, and it might get loud in the buildings due to parties, etc. You will have more access to the 6 bus (which goes downtown) if you live close to S. Hyde Park Blvd., and if you live on 55th, you'll also pretty much get direct access to the 171 and 55, both of which take you right to campus (and back as well). Lots of restaurants, shops, cafes, etc. to the east, and the groceries are close by.

North ... it can get inconvenient unless you live near a 172 bus stop and along the evening shuttle route. I wouldn't go north of 51st, personally, and there are a few crimes as well (though mostly petty crimes), since some streets can get pretty deserted.

I've heard decent things about Mayfair, but I've also heard that their management has gotten pretty bad recently. Mac always gets terrible reviews (which is unfortunate, since they own most of the property in the area). There's also Kass Management Company, which likewise has gotten less than stellar reviews (but they are not absolutely terrible if you're willing to be firm with them, I've heard), and they seem to own some pretty nice properties/locations east of the university if you're willing to put up with them ...

Also, there's always Regents, if you're willing to shell out a little more money and if you're willing to basically take the bus all the time to get to and from campus.

Thanks everyone, all this information is a huge help for people relocating without having visited Chicago!  I may have found a place in Madison Park and it all looks great - is it a nice area for those in the know?  Also with the pet fees and such, do they charge for small critters that live in a cage like hamsters?   I've asked a few places but they haven't gotten back to me on it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all.

I did my MA at Chicago, so I just wanted to post my perspectives. Your mileage may vary, and definitely incorporate what others have said elsewhere in the thread.

-- I prefer the proximity of campus. Part of it is that I unashamedly love "campus" life. I love walking along and catching sight of a professor, student, or ending up in the same grocery line as That Superstar...etc. Part of it is practical; one time I actually found out that a book I needed had been returned to the library. My paper (for which I needed that book) was due in a few hours and I knew if I could get that book, I'd likely get a significant quote and another 2 pages. It was the middle of winter and snowing hard. If I hadn't been living 15 minutes from Regenstein, I would not have been able to avail of that book. 

-- Closer you are to the Museum of Science and Industry (and Lake Michigan), the better you are. West of campus (that is, going toward the Garfield Red Line stop) is where things get sketchy. But, there's plenty of options right around 55th St, 53rd, etc....all toward the east.

-- Please try to get out of Hyde Park once in a while. It's true that UChicago and Hyde Park can act like a bubble without you perceiving it. That's because it's just large enough that you can go about normal life without noticing how you're constantly retreading your steps. And the city is a significant bus ride away. Thus, hop onto the bus every so often and head down to the Loop, the Magnificent Mile, and all the fun of northern Chicago. I can say that the Loop and Mile area are just wonderful in winter.

-- Live near South Hyde Park Boulevard and 55th/53rd/etc. if possible. Puts you in proximity to the 6, the 55, and the university's buses--though I did hear that the university may shut down the 170-171-172 buses--please check on that. 

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to bet at Chicago for CIR this fall and I wanted to see if any other CIR/MAPSS students were on here.

I know a lot of people who went to Chicago and I heard you can find some really good deals on apartments and stuff, but that it could be a little tricky (a few blocks can make a huge difference.)

I wanted to see if anyone else was interested in finding an apartment together.  I'm currently abroad but have a friend at Chicago who could help us find a great deal on an apartment.  I heard about people getting apartments for $375-400 per room INCLUDING bills but only if you have at least one or two roommates.

Since it seems like the program will be intense, and since most of us have similar interets, I think it would be a good idea for us exchange emails/Skype before fall.

If anyone's interested please email me at cirguy2014@gmail.com or send me a PM.

Peace.

• 2 months later...

I'll be attending IIT this fall & am living in the Printer's Row area of south loop.  Any cool places in my 'hood or nearby I should make sure to check out? Also, any recommendations for fun things/places to go in other areas is appreciated!  I've enjoyed running on the lakefront path & I've been to Bridgeport & Andersonville, but other than that haven't left the south loop too much. 

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'll be going to Uchicago beginning this summer and am apartment hunting. Does anyone have recommendations on where to find a cheap + somewhat safe studio?

Also, how is UChicago's graduate housing? Is that a good option or am I better off trying to find something on my own?

It depends what you're after - I live in Hyde Park and there's a lot of great things about it, primarily the ease of getting to school and the cheap rent which meant that I could get a bigger place close to the water but it does get pretty boring.  The more fun parts of the city are a lot more expensive and the connections to Hyde Park can be troublesome because unless you live in the loop you're basically guaranteed that you have to change forms of transport at least once.  I've always felt safe in Hyde Park and there is a huge amount of police and security guard presence and emergency phones pretty much on every block, and there's night shuttles going in every direction.  Riding a bike also makes it safer and it's probably only about 15 minutes from one end of Hyde Park to the other.  

There's a huge range of rental prices depending on the location and the building.  If you want to be closer to the lakefront and the transport options (bus and metra) that go downtown, it's more expensive.  There's some really fancy apartment buildings which charge rent similar to what you'd pay in another, nicer part of town (eg $1300 for a one bedroom).  On the other hand if you live in a less desirable part of Hyde Park you might be looking at $800 for a huge one bedroom apartment in a good building with gym.  

I don't live in graduate housing but I know plenty of people who are and it's quite a mixed bag.  Apparently you just nominate your preference for building and hope for the best but there's no guarantee.  Some of the buildings are nice and the apartments are well maintained and light and airy, but I've also seen some terribly depressing ones which are dank and cramped.  I didn't go for grad housing because I had enough time to look for a place myself and the rent wasn't any cheaper than outside housing services. 

You could also check out UChicago marketplace for rentals - I found my place through there.  Good luck!

Hi, I'll be going to Uchicago beginning this summer and am apartment hunting. Does anyone have recommendations on where to find a cheap + somewhat safe studio?

Also, how is UChicago's graduate housing? Is that a good option or am I better off trying to find something on my own?

Hello!

I'm going to Northwestern in March for preview days and was wondering if there are must visit places you would recommend within the area. Also, what are some places to live around the school that are cheaper, safe, and reasonable distance from the school. I'll probably bring a car (but I'm a bit worried about parking based on the responses here..). 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to budget for UChicago (where I'll likely take up my place over NYU based on living costs vs stipend). I'm planning to allow $1200 for rent and utilities, leaving me $967/month for everything else, or $850/month if I fly home twice a year. Does that seem reasonable? Am I right to think I'll find a nice one-bed apartment for that much, in Hyde Park? I am used to London living costs and from what I've heard, it sounds like Chicago will be somewhat cheaper :) If anyone in Chicago has a personal budget they could share, I'd be really grateful.