GRE: How much does it matter?

dlb89

It's a bit unnerving to read some of the GRE posts on this site that stress how IMPORTANT GRE scores are. In your experience, is this the case for anthro? I've heard from many that they're "not a big deal," yet others have said that low scores can really screw your chances.

To put this into perspective, I just wrote the GRE and received a horribly low Verbal score of 540(I freaked out majorly). I cannot rewrite it, as I will be out of country for the next 4 months and away from any testing centers. I am applying to WUSTL, Cornell, and Brown (also some Canadian MA programs, since I am Canadian). Should I even bother applying to these programs with this score or does it really matter? I have a 4.04 UGPA and a 4.22 anthro GPA (my institution grades on a 4.33 scale). I know, I know, I hate those "what are my chances?!?" posts too, but until you're in the midst of a GRE-provoked crisis, you don't know!!

With gre its mostly all about combined scores . Elitest schools like ivy and wanna be ivy requires 1200 and most schools in big 10 require 1200. Most big east schools require 1100 but all schools tell you what they require but it may take some time finding it. Rule of thumb besides east coast schools and elitest schools, as long as you broke a thousand you are fine. It's mainly about fit, personal statement and recs.

• 1 month later...

Do anthropology departments have harsh cut offs (as in throw them straight in the trash pile if they're too low) like other studies I'm reading about? I've got an 1100 and a 6 AWA and I feel that's the weakest part of my application besides my 3.48 GPA. I'm nervous that it'll get me cut before they see my application! I'm applying to programs like WashU, Chicago, UCLA, Harvard, etc. Should I be concerned?

Yeah I may mark off Yale all together for fit reasons. Harvard I have excellent fit with a few people and my adviser teaches there on his sabbatical and is making calls for me after apps are turned in (as well as with Chicago). I'm not concerned with the rest of my package, just about my package getting seen!

• 2 weeks later...

i got a 1400 on the gre last year. teaching experience. great recommendations. a perfect gpa. 0/9 for phd programs. :/

like, anthrogeek said, you might want to focus on your fit and how you have demonstrated that with your TOTAL application (including what you say in your SOP). you may also think about the language you use and the way you approach your research questions/state your research interests because you want to be current and relevant- speak how they speak today, be familiar with the language, methods and politics they are utilizing to explore similar topics. this might mean reviewing some of the work faculty are putting out/getting involved in who are teaching at the schools to which you plan to apply.

GOOD LUCK!!

I would like to clarify something though.

Most universities have 1000 on the GRE as an absolute minimum (as in don't even apply), but in anthropology it's generally considered that as long as you are above a 1200 you are fine.

That said, I've known people to get in without breaking 1000, because they went to visit the university before applying. She was told not to apply to some institutions, but where she ended up, the faculty wrote letters to the Graduate School to allow her in. She completed her PhD a couple years ago and is now happily employed after an awesome postdoc.

But remember- a GRE score does not get you in, it will only keep you out.

I may be completely wrong (what do I know, I am not even American) but I honestly believe GRE is not that big of a deal for admissions officers.

OK, clarification: it is not that big of a deal once the score is higher than 1200 (perhaps 1300?)

Recommendations, connections and a 'fit' becomes everything then.

I may be completely wrong (what do I know, I am not even American) but I honestly believe GRE is not that big of a deal for admissions officers.

OK, clarification: it is not that big of a deal once the score is higher than 1200 (perhaps 1300?)

Recommendations, connections and a 'fit' becomes everything then.

In anthropology, it's not a big deal after 1200.

With a decent GPA also (mine was fine at a US 3.55- I don't know how you convert UK scores though?), yes, after that recommendations/connections and fit become everything.

I don't really know why anthropologists decided 1200 was a fine, solid score. It's just what I've always been told since I was applying (4 years ago) to shoot for that number.

That being said if you have a high GPA and a really high GRE (above 1300, 1350 or so), many universities have competitive, university-wide fellowships that will gain you a few extra grand on your stipend. It's also prestigious for the department, so sometimes it behooves the faculty to admit people with high GPA and high GRE for that. But only when there are good recommendations and fit also.

I just want to chime in with the chorus of 1200 or above, especially if you want funding. It's not impossible if you have rockstar LORs, if you have a 4.0, if you have the best SOP written in the history of anthropology applicants... that's all going to change things of course...but if you're human like the rest of us 1200 is the place to aim for to be sure you don't get thrown out in round one.

• 1 month later...

In visiting schools and speaking with professors, they pretty much universally told me that anthropology departments don't care that much about scores as long as you're above 600 in each section. If you're lower on the quantitative, they don't really care for cultural anthropology because they don't do that many stats - it's more about the verbal score. As others have said, GREs will only keep you out and help with funding - they definitely will not get you in. I was told it's similar for GPA. It's really all about your writing sample, SoP and LoRs ... and lots of luck.