Writing Sample for PhD Admissions

bh1ge3u1hqwdjb

Hello. For education PhD programs that require a writing sample, what kind of writing would you guys suggest? How about a paper written for a magazine that offers innovative ideas/suggestions about a certain field of education, including reference (with some research/citations) to current practices and issues? Or would it have to be a research paper written for a class and have concrete data/studies? How technical would it have to be? I’m just wondering because I know a writing sample for education programs must be very different from something submitted to a science PhD, for example.

On 8/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, t_ruth said:

I think that paper sounds good. I would respond favorably to such a sample.

Thank you. That's actually a relief because I was hoping to share that one in my applications. I have other papers too that I can use but this one was the one that I really care about the most.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:08 PM, ThePhilosopher399 said:

I was curious about this as well. I never did an education-related research paper in college, so whatever writing sample I create I'd basically need to do on my own. I was wondering if it had to be such a formal research paper. 

It doesn't have to be education-related. Have you done any research papers?

The first step is to check with the individual education PhD programs to see what kind of writing sample they require. Some may have specific guidelines, such as length or topic. Once you know the requirements, you can begin brainstorming ideas for your writing sample. If you're having trouble coming up with an idea, try thinking about a time when you had to solve a problem in your field of study. Alternatively, you could write about an issue that you're passionate about and explain how your research would contribute to solving that problem. Whatever topic you choose, make sure it showcase your skills and knowledge in the field of education. With a strong writing sample, for example, you'll be on your way to impressing the admissions committee and getting into the education PhD program of your choice.