Grad: University of Alabama
Degree: Masters of Applied Statistics
GPA: 3.56

Relevant Courses: 
Undergrad:
A's in calculus sequence, Linear Algebra, discrete math, differential eqs
B+ in Real Analysis 1

Grad:
A's in regression analysis, multivariate analysis, stat learning, data visualization
B's in Math stat 1, Math stat 2, Stochastic Processes, Non-Linear Optimization Theory

GRE: 164 Q, 164 V

Research:
Pretty much nothing, most interested in bayesian methods

Letters of Recommendation: 
Professor from regression/multivariate classes, professor from stat learning class, maybe the professor from Math stat 1,2 and Stochastic Processes - even though I got Bs

Miscellaneous:
I graduated in spring 2021 and have been out of school since. I've been working on data science personal projects that are very important to me - but no formal work experience since graduation. Lots of data-related coding work that I could show on github.

Programs to Apply to (PHD):
Biostatistics: Minnesota, Ucla, Emory, Wisconsin, Pittsburgh, Florida, UT-Houston, Tulane, UAB, Colorado-Denver
Statistics: Texas, Arizona State, South Carolina, UCF

Questions:

Do I have a good range of schools listed based on my profile?

Is it necessary to push my Quant GRE score higher?

What is the prevailing thought on here about Data science programs like at UCF? I think I'd like the heavier CS influence but I don't know how it compares overall with a biostatistics/Statistics program.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Your profile is pretty unusual, as it's uncommon to see someone who graduated from a solid undergrad with a near-perfect GPA proceed to get mediocre grades in a relatively unknown Masters program. Those B's in math stat (and to a lesser extent the B+ in Real Analysis) is going to raise some serious concerns about your ability to "hack the math" at many of the higher-end places you're applying to. You might be able to overcome these concerns with really strong letters or if there is some compelling explanation for your lower grades in more challenging math courses. Given all this, I think your list is reasonable; places like Texas, Minnesota, UCLA, Emory, and Wisconsin are probably reaches but the other programs on your list are more achievable.

• 2 weeks later...

@cyberwulfThank you for the reply! Since I posted I took the Gre again and got a 167Q 163V - does that really change anything? The reason I did mediocre in those classes was because they were all online during the pandemic and I couldn't stay motivated, but im not sure if that is a compelling reason. Should I say something in my sop?