2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

On 4/3/2023 at 3:00 PM, argghhh said:

Hi! I was hoping to connect with any students currently in the SLP program at the University of Toronto? I know this isn't the best place to find current students, but if any happen to see this I just have a few questions - thank you so much in advance!

If there are any current Western or McMaster students also lurking, please message me :)

Hey everyone! 

This was my first year applying for SLP. I received my rejection letter from UofA on March 29th and was devastated. However, yesterday I received an acceptance from UBC! I am over the moon. 

Let me know if there is a Facebook group chat for UBC, I would love to join as I have just sent off my acceptance email. 😊

Looking forward to meeting you all this September. 

11 hours ago, flyforyourlife said:

Hi all! I wondered if there are any current students in Ontario SLP programs who could tell me if they think it’s possible to work part-time while in the program? Just trying to plan out my life haha

I'm currently an SLP student at UofT and work part time on the weekends. It's doable but was quite difficult in the beginning. Anything more than just working weekends wouldn't be feasible, especially considering how we were in classes every day of the week for our first unit. Our second unit we had Fridays off but I still elected to keep that as a study day. I'm glad I kept my job and I'm managing but everyone is different of course.

9 hours ago, forevertallulah said:

Does anyone know if entrance scholarships are given at the same time as an offer of admission, or are they typically offered later? Wasn't sure about this and wanted to ask in case someone knows!

You get them with your offer of admission

12 hours ago, flyforyourlife said:

Hi all! I wondered if there are any current students in Ontario SLP programs who could tell me if they think it’s possible to work part-time while in the program? Just trying to plan out my life haha

UofT student here as well, I've been working from home up to 20 hours a week (including weekends) but would definitely not recommend. I still got very good grades but I barely got any sleep to catch up on work or readings. I do also feel like that my learning and enjoyment of the program were affected a bit, so unless you really need to make some money I'd avoid it, or work max 10 hours/week

Edited by Owl.on.a.Slide

On 4/4/2023 at 5:11 PM, speechenthusiast said:

Not sure if its me who you're referring to, but I did post about being accepted to McMaster and Western! I've heard great things about both schools, but McMaster University has a very unique way of teaching that is very problem based, which I definitely prefer to more standard lecture work. (Also my boyfriend and I are moving in together and he is working around Hamilton, which made the decision a lot easier as well hahah). I would recommend maybe reaching out to current students at both schools and talking to them. Of course they will both be biased, but it will give you some more insight. I truly don't think theres a bad decision though!

Hey I am currently a Mac Student feel free to message me I would love to help as I chose Mac over Western and couldn't be happier!

Has anyone who applied to UBC not heard anything yet or have any insights?  I haven't heard anything and wondering if there is still a glimmer of hope. Those who have already been accepted/waitlisted, are you from BC or out of province?