2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

500 words for ALL of this!?!?!?! How is that even possible!?!
From u of t  

Statement of Intent

All applicants must complete a Statement of Intent and there are two components to the Statement of Intent. The first section should be a maximum of 3,000 characters and should address the following topics, in particular the first four items:

1. Outline reasons for choosing speech‑language pathology as a career;
  2. Highlight specific personal attributes that would be relevant for the profession;
  3. Emphasize academic and non‑academic accomplishments;
  4. Outline reasons for choosing the MHSc program in speech‑language pathology at the University of Toronto; and
  5. Demonstrate current knowledge about the profession of speech‑language pathology.

Applicants may also wish to use this statement to explain irregularities in their application and to outline any research experiences.

The second section of the Statement of Intent is a summary of volunteer experiences and should list:

1. Volunteer experiences in the field of speech‑language pathology and/or audiology in point form, including dates, duration, total hours, populations, and the nature of activities in which the applicant participated; and
  2. Other relevant volunteer experiences, including dates, duration, populations, and activities.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2022 at 11:11 AM, Snick said:

So here’s a question. My 20th course is a full course. I only need .5 of a course to make the full 20 lengths. Anyone know how they manage that for sGPA? 

Hey! It's quiet in here :)

It will actually depend on your older courses, not the most recent ones. If to reach 20 half credits they need to extract the grade of some credits from your oldest semester (where you took more than 1 course), they will average that entire year and weigh it whatever you are missing to make 20 credits. It's a bit messy, hope it makes sense!

For the statement of intent, it's definitely challenging to fit everything in 500 words but it's possible! But definitely don't leave it last minute and have it reviewed by friends, profs, writing centres etc!

11 minutes ago, slp2020ab said:

Hey! It's quiet in here :)

It will actually depend on your older courses, not the most recent ones. If to reach 20 half credits they need to extract the grade of some credits from your oldest semester (where you took more than 1 course), they will average that entire year and weigh it whatever you are missing to make 20 credits. It's a bit messy, hope it makes sense!

For the statement of intent, it's definitely challenging to fit everything in 500 words but it's possible! But definitely don't leave it last minute and have it reviewed by friends, profs, writing centres etc!

Thanks!  Yes, def quiet in here... hope it picks up!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! 

First time applying to grad school and feeling excited but also overwhelmed already. Planning to apply to U of T, U of A, and Western. If anyone has tips or is willing to share an example paragraph for how they tailored their SOI to each school, that would be so helpful!

Also, getting a little freaked out about the coursework, as it seems U of A has 6 courses per semester which seems absurd to me...how intense are they really? 

On 8/16/2022 at 6:09 PM, Snick said:

500 words for ALL of this!?!?!?! How is that even possible!?!
From u of t  

Statement of Intent

All applicants must complete a Statement of Intent and there are two components to the Statement of Intent. The first section should be a maximum of 3,000 characters and should address the following topics, in particular the first four items:

1. Outline reasons for choosing speech‑language pathology as a career;
  2. Highlight specific personal attributes that would be relevant for the profession;
  3. Emphasize academic and non‑academic accomplishments;
  4. Outline reasons for choosing the MHSc program in speech‑language pathology at the University of Toronto; and
  5. Demonstrate current knowledge about the profession of speech‑language pathology.

Applicants may also wish to use this statement to explain irregularities in their application and to outline any research experiences.

The second section of the Statement of Intent is a summary of volunteer experiences and should list:

1. Volunteer experiences in the field of speech‑language pathology and/or audiology in point form, including dates, duration, total hours, populations, and the nature of activities in which the applicant participated; and
  2. Other relevant volunteer experiences, including dates, duration, populations, and activities.

Where did you see the 500 words? Or does that come up when in ORPAS application? I agree that 500 words for the second section seems quite difficult...

2 minutes ago, egall said:

Where did you see the 500 words? Or does that come up when in ORPAS application? I agree that 500 words for the second section seems quite difficult...

For UofT, it's 3000 characters which is about 500 words.

Also, I'm a current SLP student at UofT! If anyone has any questions feel free to DM me! 

hi! first time applicant here and I do not know what to expect! lol super scared but currently working on my statement and for uoft they said 3000 characters for the first section, but the second part is optional. so im wondering if anyone knows what the limit is for the second part? I emailed them and they did not tell me, just reiterated what I already knew LOL. 

also, I was wondering if anyone knows how they look at your prerequisite courses? I retook the general linguistics requirement to get a better grade because my first year linguistics course grade was not good (first year am I right hahahaha), so how does this work? are they gonna ask which courses I am submitting as my prerequisites on orpas? or are they looking at any prerequisite courses I took, throughout the history of my undergrad? 

Edited by lilaccloudsz

Hi everyone!

I’m a first time applicant and applying to UofT, Mcmaster, and Western. I’m pretty nervous as I know how competitive everything is and I’m still awaiting responses from professors to be my reference. I’m curious if anyone knows the cut off sub-gpa’s from last year and how heavily they rely on references. To be honest I didn’t participate much in class and graduated two years ago so its been difficult to get a strong reference letter. Anyways GOODLUCK to everyone!

23 hours ago, LarissaTorres said:

Hi everyone!

I’m a first time applicant and applying to UofT, Mcmaster, and Western. I’m pretty nervous as I know how competitive everything is and I’m still awaiting responses from professors to be my reference. I’m curious if anyone knows the cut off sub-gpa’s from last year and how heavily they rely on references. To be honest I didn’t participate much in class and graduated two years ago so its been difficult to get a strong reference letter. Anyways GOODLUCK to everyone!

All across the board, the minimal GPA is a 3.3 to be considered by a graduate program in Canada. It may be higher depending on various elements (and it varies greatly from year to year): the number of applicants, the quality of applicants, funding from the university, etc. While the GPA is important, there are other factors that can mitigate it, and letters of recommendations play a huge role in getting admitted. 

Hello! I just want to make sure I have everything correct/am not missing anything. If anyone can confirm the following for 2023 entrance, that would be great!

UofT: Only taking 2+ academic references, no clinical or professional/personal

Western: 2 academic, 1 professional/personal, no clinical

McMaster: Not taking any

Thanks in advance!!

On 10/6/2022 at 2:02 PM, sunnyslp000 said:

Does anyone know where most Canadians go in the US to get their SLP certification? Struggling to get into Canada and hoping someone has some suggests for where to apply in the US :)

Hey! So I can't say I know where most Canadians go, but after I got rejected last year I also looked into US schools. There are a LOT of schools (over 100 I think??) so you'll have a many to choose from. However, one of the major downsides is that most of the schools require you take a leveling year (from September to August), as the US does offer an CSD undergrad. When I was looking last year I looked at the University of Montana and University of Arizona. The leveling year for UofM was roughly 10 courses over 12 months and about 27,000 dollars USD. The master program was an additional 44,000 dollar USD. So roughly 71,000 USD just for tuition! And UofM is considered the cheap option. The UofArizona was much more expensive, I think averaging 53,000 USD a year. Another downside is that to receive you Masters you have to meet the American Hearing Associations guidelines, which is an additional 5 general courses outside your SLP masters; things like a multiculturalism, Biology etc. Some of these you may already have from you undergrad. Overall applying in the US is less competitive as there are more schools to apply to however, it is much more expensive and requires just as many requisite courses as Canadian schools if not more. If the price and time commitment is not a worry for you then it is definitely an option!

On 10/12/2022 at 3:05 PM, LarissaTorres said:

Hi everyone!

Forget applying to McMaster if your sGPA is below 3.85, or consider it if you are close (I was waitlisted for interviews last year with a 3.83) although you'd probably just be donating 100 bucks to McMaster ? 

For UofT you need around 3.80 to have a good chance, but some people with sGPAs lower than that got in this year. Beware though that for some reason they admitted 70 students at UofT this year. Not sure if they screwed something up but we are the largest class yet (I can't complain, what if I was one of those 10 extra? lol).

For Western it's a hit or miss, people with very high GPAs (3.90+) still get waitlisted and in theory you have a chance to get in with a somewhat low sGPA, but you probably still need to be in the 3.60s-3.70s.

We can't really tell how much they rely on references...I got rejected twice and re-applied with more recent references and got accepted but I also improved my grades a lot, so who knows? You just gotta do the obvious stuff, i.e. ask a prof that you are sure would remember you, from course where you got a good grade, and give them your resume and copies of the assignment you submitted to them. You don't get to know where your application was not good enough if you get rejected, which sucks :( Good luck anyways! 

Edited by Owl.on.a.Slide

On 10/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, sunnyslp000 said:

Does anyone know where most Canadians go in the US to get their SLP certification? Struggling to get into Canada and hoping someone has some suggests for where to apply in the US :)

Most students in Manitoba and SK go to North Dakota to Minot State University for SLP! Tuition is basically the same as Canada and their program is actually amazing. Downfall is that it's in ND and you have to do a post-bacc year (but it guarantees your acceptance into their SLP program the following year). If I didn't get into a Canadian school this past year I would have gone there. I think their tuition is actually the cheapest in the US! Feel free to message me if you have any questions :)

On 10/13/2022 at 2:54 PM, slpet said:

Hello! I just want to make sure I have everything correct/am not missing anything. If anyone can confirm the following for 2023 entrance, that would be great!

UofT: Only taking 2+ academic references, no clinical or professional/personal

Western: 2 academic, 1 professional/personal, no clinical

McMaster: Not taking any

Thanks in advance!!

Yes I found that too