2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

1 hour ago, Snick said:

I’m going to back to last year’s thread and ask! 

So they did admit 70 this year but didn't tell us why. We're actually down to 69 now since someone dropped out. One of our professors claimed it was because they had so many great applications that they decided to admit 70 lol but I'm not entirely sure how true that is.

Edited by SoaringSLP

25 minutes ago, SoaringSLP said:

So they did admit 70 this year but didn't tell us why. We're actually down to 69 now since someone dropped out. One of our professors claimed it was because they had so many great applications that they decided to admit 70 lol but I'm not entirely sure how true that is.

Thanks!! Let’s hope they do it again!  

Hi everyone! I just graduated from Western's SLP program this year and I would be happy to answer any questions about my experience with the application process or the program! Feel free to DM me any questions :) 

Hi everyone! 

I'm a second time applicant this year. I'm applying to both U of T and Western. To those who have been in the same boat, do you recommend completely starting over with your SOI? I feel like I had a pretty strong statement but would like to hear about your experience! I'm now currently working as an Educational Assistant at a special needs school so will definitely add thoughts/ideas about that. 

Do you think it's worth it to completely start over or alter certain areas where I see fit? Sorry if this is a silly question, but would help to hear what others did in the same position. Thanks in advance :)

On 10/29/2022 at 5:50 AM, CCSLP94 said:

Hi everyone! I just graduated from Western's SLP program this year and I would be happy to answer any questions about my experience with the application process or the program! Feel free to DM me any questions :) 

DM'd :)

Hi everyone!

This is my first time applying and I'm very nervous as I looked into pursuing SLP really late in my undergrad :(( I don't have significant experience volunteering for an SLP because I discovered it during the pandemic so I've only had the chance to help out an SLP online with making material for them but not consistently. However, I've worked in a cognitive development research lab at my university for a little over 2 years and am the director/coordinator now. Is this experience that would be really valuable despite my lack of experience with SLPs? That's one of the things that's made me nervous as I work on my SOI.

Also, if someone could please explain how ORPAS calculates our sub-GPA that would be extremely helpful. ?I've taken summer school every summer, and I'm only taking 3 classes (0.5 credits each) this semester, so I'm still not exactly sure how they calculate it, slightly confused.

Good luck to everyone this admission cycle!!

2 minutes ago, eporc said:

Hi everyone!

This is my first time applying and I'm very nervous as I looked into pursuing SLP really late in my undergrad :(( I don't have significant experience volunteering for an SLP because I discovered it during the pandemic so I've only had the chance to help out an SLP online with making material for them but not consistently. However, I've worked in a cognitive development research lab at my university for a little over 2 years and am the director/coordinator now. Is this experience that would be really valuable despite my lack of experience with SLPs? That's one of the things that's made me nervous as I work on my SOI.

Also, if someone could please explain how ORPAS calculates our sub-GPA that would be extremely helpful. ?I've taken summer school every summer, and I'm only taking 3 classes (0.5 credits each) this semester, so I'm still not exactly sure how they calculate it, slightly confused.

Orpas is driving me mad!  I am inputting my 5 (of 6, #6 to be taken later) prerequisites. I am taking Linguistics and Phonetics now. Orpas is asking for a grade. I don’t have one. Phonetics will get a grade in December (hopefully!) but Linguistics won’t get a grade until next April/May.  

Orpas refuses to save my work because I don’t have a grade to input. I put in INC to signify “incomplete”, in order to save my work. 

Anyone got any suggestions?  It’s for U of T. 
thx

Edited by Snick

27 minutes ago, Snick said:

Orpas is driving me mad!  I am inputting my 5 (of 6, #6 to be taken later) prerequisites. I am taking Linguistics and Phonetics now. Orpas is asking for a grade. I don’t have one. Phonetics will get a grade in December (hopefully!) but Linguistics won’t get a grade until next April/May.  

Orpas refuses to save my work because I don’t have a grade to input. I put in INC to signify “incomplete”, in order to save my work. 

Anyone got any suggestions?  It’s for U of T. 
thx

I will answer my own question!!! IPR is the correct terminology. “In progress”. Makes sense!  

On 11/2/2022 at 7:29 PM, eporc said:

Hi everyone!

Yes definitely include/highlight your research experience. I honestly don't have a clue how ORPAS calculates subGPA, but I do know you'll be able to see it once its been done on ORPAS. 

Hi everyone, I have been reading these threads for years, I'm excited to finally be able to post in one!!

I'm applying to Dal, Western, and McMaster. I have a good GPA but I'm really lacking in volunteer experience. I'm hoping that completing honours

will make me look better but I'm so nervous!!! 

14 hours ago, Jen SLP said:

Hi everyone, I have been reading these threads for years, I'm excited to finally be able to post in one!!

I'm applying to Dal, Western, and McMaster. I have a good GPA but I'm really lacking in volunteer experience. I'm hoping that completing honours

will make me look better but I'm so nervous!!! 

I hear you on the volunteer thing. With the pandemic, it WAS hard to find slp’s to take us on. But I finally found one and got started last week, in person. I do hope the uni’s take that under consideration when evaluating our apps. 

Hello everyone!

I am not yet applying to any SLP program but I plan to in 2024. I just had a quick question about prerequisites. Say I do well on all my prerequisites except for one, for example low 70's or something. Should I just take that class again to boost that mark or should I leave it? I know for UofT it is required to have a B+ and low 70's would not be a B+ in UofT standards and I am not sure about Western. 

10 hours ago, Franbran said:

Hello everyone!

I am not yet applying to any SLP program but I plan to in 2024. I just had a quick question about prerequisites. Say I do well on all my prerequisites except for one, for example low 70's or something. Should I just take that class again to boost that mark or should I leave it? I know for UofT it is required to have a B+ and low 70's would not be a B+ in UofT standards and I am not sure about Western. 

Western’s minimum for prerequisites is a B. Honestly, I’m not sure how much it really matters but the SLP masters is really competitive, which means lots of competitive applications, which means admissions boards could be using prerequisite grades to narrow down or decide between applicants. I would say retake the course because honestly you never know what could be the deciding factor, plus it would allow you to then apply to the UofT, as thier B+ requirement is a hard cut off for applications. 

Just a heads up for people apply to the UofA! They added some new questions for the career interests statement: 

1. Why do you want to pursue graduate training in Speech-Language Pathology, and at the University of Alberta specifically?

2. What unique qualities will you bring to a graduate training program in communication sciences and disorders?

3. Please describe your perspective on equity diversity and inclusion (EDI) and/or your personal experiences with respect to EDI. How will these perspectives impact your role as a future SLP or student in the MSc-SLP program?

4. We may not have asked something that you find important to share with the admissions committee. Let us know if there is anything else that we should know when reviewing your application. (this one is optional)

I also noticed they have added 15 spots for Saskatchewan students! So the quota is now 56 + 15 for Saskatchewan residents. I think they added this because of the shortage of SLPs there right now, but thats just my theory. 

On 11/24/2022 at 12:59 PM, lilaccloudsz said:

Hello! I was wondering if there are any current SLP students who are willing to share what values in a successful candidate these schools are looking for? 

Current SLP student, got in last cycle. I don't know how good of a source I am for this, but I'll list a couple things that might help. In actuality, we don't know what qualities got us in the program. Schools aren't looking for a specific degree as almost everyone comes from some slightly different undergrad. Everyone has had some sort of volunteer experience, mostly with SLPs in a lot of different settings. I found that working in different settings helped improve my application... worked a lot in geriatrics for my first cycle, but the year after I was lucky enough to shadow a pediatric SLP as well as work on material prep. I also felt my references were stronger this time around versus last year, but there's no way in actually knowing haha. And obviously sGPA matters a decent amount, more for some schools then others, but I wouldn't worry about that though. Do whatever you can to get it high this semester, but don't worry after that. I thought my GPA was low when I applied compared to others on the forum, but I guess it was good enough!

DMs are open if needed, but I don't check this much at all so may not respond super quick lol

Good luck

Does anyone remember for Uoft what did they say about the referee status ranks? I remember them saying they have to be a lecturer/assistant prof, but on ORPAS it says full-time faculty member and I do not remember this part from the session. One of the people I asked to write a reference letter is not full-time so I just wanted to make sure.

43 minutes ago, lilaccloudsz said:

Does anyone remember for Uoft what did they say about the referee status ranks? I remember them saying they have to be a lecturer/assistant prof, but on ORPAS it says full-time faculty member and I do not remember this part from the session. One of the people I asked to write a reference letter is not full-time so I just wanted to make sure.

https://slp.utoronto.ca/admissions/mhsc-admission-requirements/ 

"Applicants must arrange to have two academic referees complete the Confidential Assessment Form and write an academic reference letter. Referees must be full‑time faculty members (normally with a rank of lecturer, sessional lecturer, assistant professor, or higher) at an accredited university. Please note that college instructors are NOT considered to be appropriate academic referees. Forms may be downloaded directly from the ORPAS Application.

Academic references are those professors, assistant professors and/or sessional lecturers who know you well enough to write an insightful reference that speaks to your academic capabilities, knowledge and skills."