2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

3 hours ago, Natalie SLP said:

Did anyone else receive a call from Western? I saw my offer last night but didn't expect to get a call as well. 

3 hours ago, Emmaa_ said:

Yes! I thought that was really nice of them

I got a call as well! I also wasn't expecting it but thought it was very nice of them to reach out to see if we had any questions! 

I was wondering if you guys are accepting your offer to Western? If so, would you like to make a groupchat or get in contact? 

Congrats everyone who got in :) Some schools are definitely rolling out slower so hopefully more people start hearing back!

I got into Mcgill, UofT, Maine and waitlisted 1st quadrant at Western. I'll be (99% sure) accepting Mcgill so hopefully that'll open some space for others who are waiting! For those of you who have been accepted to multiple schools, what are you choosing and what helped you make that decision?

Hi! I was hoping to connect with any students currently in the SLP program at the University of Toronto? I know this isn't the best place to find current students, but if any happen to see this I just have a few questions - thank you so much in advance!

3 hours ago, CharmedSLP said:

Can I ask what kind of job it was you worked over the last year? I’m hoping to strengthen my application over the coming year and am trying to find options for relevant experience.

I got a job as a Speech Language Pathology Assistant (or SLPA)! And I volunteered at a seniors centre doing activity planning and working on companionship :)

30 minutes ago, flyforyourlife said:

I got a job as a Speech Language Pathology Assistant (or SLPA)! And I volunteered at a seniors centre doing activity planning and working on companionship :)

That sounds awesome! Did you have to have additional/ special schooling for your SLPA assistant position? (I just have a regular bachelors degree)

3 minutes ago, CharmedSLP said:

That sounds awesome! Did you have to have additional/ special schooling for your SLPA assistant position? (I just have a regular bachelors degree)

I actually didn’t! When I applied they said it was recommended to have a CDA but I applied with just a bachelor’s degree under my belt

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!!! Wishing you the best and I'm so happy you did it. This was my first time applying and unfortunately I didn't get in. If anyone who has gotten accepted is willing to let me know what there sGPA was and any other information to prepare for next time, I would really appreciate it. 

13 minutes ago, slpgurl said:

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!!! Wishing you the best and I'm so happy you did it. This was my first time applying and unfortunately I didn't get in. If anyone who has gotten accepted is willing to let me know what there sGPA was and any other information to prepare for next time, I would really appreciate it. 

Hey, you can dm me if you have any questions :) 

1 hour ago, slpgurl said:

Happy to answer any questions as well. DM me :)

4 hours ago, slpapplicant23 said:

I got a call as well! I also wasn't expecting it but thought it was very nice of them to reach out to see if we had any questions! 

I was wondering if you guys are accepting your offer to Western? If so, would you like to make a groupchat or get in contact? 

I am waiting to hear back from McGill before I accept my spot at Western, but definitely am up for a groupchat if I get rejected from McGill :)  

12 hours ago, k8lynrose said:

Hey everyone! Late posting this because Gradcafe locked me out of my account. 

I applied to Audiology and Speech at Dalhousie (I did not have the pre reqs to apply to any other Canadian schools) and got accepted into both on March 15th. My stats were:

BA in Psychology with honors (in behavioral neuroscience) 

4.2/4.3 last 20 credits

Around 50 hours of volunteer work at a pediatric SLP and AUD clinic

100+ volunteer hours with other youth/community programs (i.e, Big Brother Big Sister, CMHA, ESL tutor, coaching children with disabilities)

100+ hours of research-based experience as a volunteer and teaching assistant 

I also did two separate study abroad programs in Spain, where I was immersed in the Spanish education system and language, which may have strengthened my application (I am unsure how admissions weigh these types of programs, so perhaps it was completely irrelevant). 

My understanding is that the applicants who have applied to both programs and gained acceptance into both programs hear back first. This is because we are technically taking up two spots (one in each program), so if you have applied to only SLP at Dal and have yet to hear back, I would not stress. I think they wait until the dual applicants confirm and then send out a second round of acceptances based on the number of spots left. I have to confirm by April 15th! I hope this is helpful  :) 

Hi, this was helpful thank you! I was really hoping to hear from Dal sooner rather than later, but considering you don't have to get back to them until April 15th I won't be frantically checking my email every two hours until after this date haha 

8 hours ago, slpgrad2be said:

Hi, I was wondering if they specifically mention a waitlist if you've been waitlisted for UofT? I might be coping but I'm trying to figure out if I still have a chance or not at getting in :')

I was waitlisted to UofT via an email I received early this morning. However, they mentioned multiple times they will not be disclosing waitlist positions. 

Edited by Lucky11

8 hours ago, BSLP22 said:

Does anyone who was on this forum last year recall where they got to quadrant wise at Western last year? I've been waitlisted (2nd quadrant) and just trying to roughly figure out the chances I have of getting in. 

I'd take this with a grain of salt because I feel that applications and numbers have changed quite a bit since 2021, but back then their waitlist seemed to be massive (maybe 20+ people in each quadrant?) and they ended up going through the 1st quadrant and a few people in the 2nd quadrant, then if I'm not wrong a couple of people were contacted in September after classes started 😱

Edited by Owl.on.a.Slide

For those of you that were offered admission to either McMaster or UofT what is your initial deadline for accepting your offer? I am also curious for those who have applied in previous cycles if UofT has revealed wait list positions in the past?                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

I am also seeing a lot of talk about different acceptance options once you are offered admission; e.g firmly accept vs. provisional acceptance. Any insight? Does it mention how long applicants are able to keep a "provisional acceptance" status- like a deadline? 

Edited by Lucky11
formating error

15 minutes ago, SLPforever said:

Do you guys think U of T will update the waitlist as people start to decline offers now or will we have to wait till April 17th for the first round of offers to pass before we can expect anything? 

Not too sure. I know that McMaster was clear that waitlisted applicants/additional offers would only be sent out after April 17th. However, UofT did not mention anything in the email/letter in regards to when we could expect to start hearing back. 

Hello everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has received offers and to those who have been waitlisted, don't give up hope! I'm a non-traditional student (switching from finance to SLP) and needless to say, I had to do a lot of work to build my CV and take all the pre-reqs in order to be able to apply anywhere. This was my second application cycle and this round I applied to 3 programs (Western, McMaster, and UofA) and received 2 offers and 1 waitlist. After not receiving an acceptance during the first cycle, I reached out to a lot of industry people for advice. I am more than happy to give back and offer guidance to anyone who would like some. 

Best of luck to all!

Congrats to everyone who received an offer today, and good luck to those waitlisted! Don't give up hope, spots will open up soon! This year was my first time applying, and I really didn't expect to get in anywhere, as I have barely any volunteer experience and didn't consider my application competitive. However, I was accepted to U of T, Western, and McMaster, and I couldn't be more thrilled! Happy to provide my stats and guidance to anyone who needs it as I know how overwhelming and stressful this process is. Just remember don't let comparison get you down, and be proud of your achievements :)