NYU Steinhardt Media, Culture, and Communications Essay - Advice Needed

alips

I'm applying to NYU Steinhardt's Media, Culture, and Communications PhD program. I know most schools require a statement of purpose. Instead, NYU Steinhardt opts for the following:

In lieu of a statement of purpose, you are required to upload a brief essay on the research area/topic you expect to pursue, your background preparation for advanced work in that area/topic, and some of the scholars whose work in that area has shaped your thinking. The essay should be 2-3 pages single-spaced or 4-5 pages double-spaced.

Does anyone have any advice on what they may be looking for? I can go off in a million directions, especially since my masters is in business and marketing. I have a sheet of notes, but would like some indication that I'm heading in the right direction.

This would fit more into the category of research statements. What the admissions committee will evaluate is your ability to define a clear, relevant, and realistic potential research project, how rigorously your ideas are presented, and your ability to demonstrate your familiarity with existing research on the topic. This requires a bit more work than your run-of-the-mill statement of purpose.