Looking for clinical psychology PsyD or PhD programs with a critical lens

Claudia_Norton

Hi--

I'm a social worker (practicing clinically, fully licensed) and I'm looking to get a PsyD or PhD because I'm just not satisfied with my level of clinical training. I studied Science and Technology Studies (basically critical theory as applied to science and more specifically the psychological sciences) in undergrad, so having an eye on the historical and theoretical biases of the conceptualization of pathology and treatment orientations is very important to me when choosing a program. I want both clinical rigor and critique of clinical theory/application. 

I am currently looking at:

-Point Park (PsyD)

-UMASS Boston 

Does anyone have any other recommendations for programs that lean the way I'm describing? I have ruled out Duquesne and I would prefer an APA accredited institution because I don't want to deal with licensure hassle, so while I'm intrigued by CIIS, I'm looking to go another way.

I would so appreciate any other recommendations. Thanks!

Edited by Claudia_Norton

Any legitimate doctoral program in clinical psychology is going to provide training in "historical and theoretical biases of the conceptualization of pathology and treatment orientations." A doctoral degree aims to train students as independent scholars/scientists and practitioners, being able to understand and disseminate the science behind what we do as clinicians, and understanding the biases and historical/ sociocultural contexts the mental health diagnostic system in the US is based on is a cornerstone of that. In your search for programs, I would think about what kind of research you want to pursue (even a PsyD will require a dissertation) and find programs that have faculty who conduct research within that area. A good way to do so is to do a lit search of recent articles published in that subfield and see where those authors are located. UMASS Boston is solid school. I have never heard of Point Park, so I can't speak to them. A good way to distinguish programs is looking at APA-accredited internship match rates, EPPP pass rates, and licensure rates.