Personal Statement

Hello all,

A couple of the programs I am applying to requires a Personal Statement in addition to the regular Statement of Purpose. One program describes the Personal Statement as "This should be a discussion of the journey that has led to your decision to seek a graduate degree."

My question is, how does one go about this statement (it has a 500 word limit)? I assume it should focus on your journey from the undergraduate level, right? As in, you shouldn't make any references to this being your dream since you were a child?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciatedsmile.gif

I don't have specific experience with personal statements but the conventional wisdom of avoiding the 'ever since I was a child' cliche probable still holds here. I'd assume that the purpose of a PS is to learn more about what drives you as a student and scholar. What you thought you wanted to be as a child is still irrelevant. The PS would be where you tell the committee more about your development as a scholar -- how you got started in your field, how you narrowed down your interests, what special classes, encounters, professors, projects influenced your choice to do research in X, how your interests have grown/changed/become focused during your time in school, etc.. In most cases, starting the story with one's undergrad career will be the best way to go.

I don't have specific experience with personal statements but the conventional wisdom of avoiding the 'ever since I was a child' cliche probable still holds here. I'd assume that the purpose of a PS is to learn more about what drives you as a student and scholar. What you thought you wanted to be as a child is still irrelevant. The PS would be where you tell the committee more about your development as a scholar -- how you got started in your field, how you narrowed down your interests, what special classes, encounters, professors, projects influenced your choice to do research in X, how your interests have grown/changed/become focused during your time in school, etc.. In most cases, starting the story with one's undergrad career will be the best way to go.

Thanks for the advice. This is what I was thinking, so it's good to get confirmation.

Ok, I went and checked the Personal Statement information for the other school that requires one and it says "Your personal statement should include information about how your background and life experiences, including social, economic, cultural, familial, educational, or other opportunities or challenges motivated you to pursue a graduate degree."

So now I'm a little confused since this would seem to suggest more that just academic experiences from the undergraduate level.

Oh, so it's more like a diversity statement? Some of the public schools I applied to required one, but it was more for the university (because of diversity laws, and for unique scholarships) than for the departments themselves. People can go in very different routes on this one; some talk about real life challenges, others explain how they will contribute a unique point of view to the research done in their department and to the student body in general, some keep a narrower focus on what led them to their specific topic of research. It really depends on what you have to say. Try searching the forums for "personal history statements" and "diversity statements", there have been discussions in previous years about what those should include.

Oh, so it's more like a diversity statement? Some of the public schools I applied to required one, but it was more for the university (because of diversity laws, and for unique scholarships) than for the departments themselves. People can go in very different routes on this one; some talk about real life challenges, others explain how they will contribute a unique point of view to the research done in their department and to the student body in general, some keep a narrower focus on what led them to their specific topic of research. It really depends on what you have to say. Try searching the forums for "personal history statements" and "diversity statements", there have been discussions in previous years about what those should include.

Thanks again. Yeah, this seems to be it. I'll look up those discussions.

In the same boat (or might even be the same school based on the quoted requirement). I have covered my motivation and reasons to pursue an academic career (as I have been in the workforce for quite a while) in my Statement of Purpose. Then the personal requirement says "don't repeat your statement of purpose". But if I take them out of my SOP, it would end up like a detailed resume, which I also need to provide.

In the same boat (or might even be the same school based on the quoted requirement). I have covered my motivation and reasons to pursue an academic career (as I have been in the workforce for quite a while) in my Statement of Purpose. Then the personal requirement says "don't repeat your statement of purpose". But if I take them out of my SOP, it would end up like a detailed resume, which I also need to provide.

Likewise, I have been in the workforce for a while too. Which CS area are you in?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

A couple of the programs I am applying to requires a Personal Statement in addition to the regular Statement of Purpose. One program describes the Personal Statement as "This should be a discussion of the journey that has led to your decision to seek a graduate degree."

My question is, how does one go about this statement (it has a 500 word limit)? I assume it should focus on your journey from the undergraduate level, right? As in, you shouldn't make any references to this being your dream since you were a child?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciatedsmile.gif

I had to do a Personal statement, too. SOP is more "I am going to do a research based on this and that...it will have ten chapters, etc.". Personal statement is more about a little talk on the moment in your life that made you want to do your SOP. That is how I wrote mine. It is not about your CV talk, it is not about "I was born in...I went to school ...", it is more about " I was born in a family with an autistic brother. Watching him grow...made me pursue my career as a defectologist..."

Edited by matilda

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Newms,

I found some samples of personal history/diversity statements through Top Law Schools forum: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25821

Obviously, these are for Law school applications, but I found some of the themes helpful, since I am having a hard time figuring out what to write mine on now.

I feel as if I included the pertinent info in my SOP already!

Hope that site helps anyway!

Hey Newms,

I found some samples of personal history/diversity statements through Top Law Schools forum: http://www.top-law-s...hp?f=14&t=25821

Obviously, these are for Law school applications, but I found some of the themes helpful, since I am having a hard time figuring out what to write mine on now.

I feel as if I included the pertinent info in my SOP already!

Hope that site helps anyway!

Those are some interesting statements at that link. Thanks for sharing!