Psychology / Philosophy PhD program?

Ubermensch2

Hey everyone, I'm currently a PhD student at [x] university. I'm feeling a bit misplaced in my current discipline, and am considering moving to a psychology PhD program. I'm specifically interested in programs that might have crossover with philosophy (e.g. Yale). For reference, my research falls between the intersection of continental political philosophy and humanistic psychology. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Hello there,

Sorry to hear that you feel misplaced in your current program. What year are you in? Depending on the area of psychology you want to pursue, it might be more or less cumbersome to switch/re-apply now. If you are aiming for purely research degree, some supervisors with compatible interests may consider you. An applied/ clinical program might be more complicated. However, I think that you still need some psychology coursework to be eligible for most programs. Furthermore, there might be a question of whether you can take a doctoral dissertation/project to completion.

Without knowing a lot about you and your background, I have some questions that might help you reflect:

1. What type of program/degree in Psychology do you want to pursue?

2. Do you have the background (coursework, research) in psychology to be considered for admission?

3. Are you ok with the fact that it might take way longer to graduate?

4. What can you bring to a program/lab that might make you a strong candidate (in terms of skills/experience) 

5. And finally - what do you want to do with the degree? 

Psychology majors are some of the more popular for undergrads and subsequently graduate school is quite competitive. A university like Yale for example is even more competitive due to associated prestige. Also, have you tried looking at Duquesne University/ Miami Ohio? You don't have to answer the above questions, but if you'd like more specific advice I would need more details about you/ your goals to help. Just keep in mind that switching graduate programs is a more difficult and often convoluted process compared to transferring in undergrad.

Edited by SoundofSilence