Looking for Advice on where to pursue an MPP - International Student from The Bahamas!

78y73m4

Hi all, I am new here and I am looking to apply to graduate schools in January. I wanted some advice on which schools may be best for me to apply to. 

My Profile:

Bachelor's Degree: Public Administration (Distinction)

Associate's Degree: Law and Criminal Justice (Distinction)

Received award for being the top Public Administration student. 

President's List for 5 consecutive years at University.

Cumulative GPA: 3.8/4.0

Work Experience: 1.5-2 years at non-profits in The Bahamas focusing on governance, public policy, civic education, and fundraising.

Member of a Working Group on a National Consultative Committee

Research Experience: Undergraduate Thesis (A grade) - The thesis focused on assessing the attitudes of citizens toward local government performance in The Bahamas using focus groups.

Wrote a paper for a Social Research class assessing the attitudes and experiences of university students on sexual assault and the idea of consent using a survey.

Leadership/Volunteer Experience: 2 years in Student Government Association 

1 year as Club President on Campus 

Started an initiative at work with the hopes of turning it into a larger non-profit focused on making it easier for citizens to understand what is happening at the National Parliament of The Bahamas. 

Chief Delegate for Caribbean Model OAS - Served as Chief Delegate of the University of The Bahamas’ second delegation at the Caribbean Model OAS Assembly representing Mexico.

Youth Parliamentarian - Represented a constituency in The Bahamas making policy-based contributions to resolutions on Mental Health and Gender-Based Violence in The Bahamas.

Radio Show Host - Hosting a weekly show focusing on topical issues in The Bahamas related to politics, the economy, crime, and other socio-economic problems within the country.

Why I want to get into Public Policy: 

The Bahamas faces many challenges in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian and the COVID-19 pandemic. These twin disasters have resulted in what is considered to be a "lost decade" of economic growth after the 2008 financial crisis. Evidently, we face many challenges in the region and social ills such as crime, violence, wealth inequality, and poverty. The magnitude of these problems is all compounded by the lack of proper policy-making, access to data, and skills gaps. 

Therefore, for my graduate education, I want to gather the necessary skills to tackle these issues using data science and policy-making. I am seeking to enhance my quantitative skills to not only analyze the root causes of problems but also to have the ability to predict the effects and outcomes of policy options.

I would do some research - attend information sessions online, read blogs, brochures, etc.   each school and program will have tons of information on their websites.

Some of the top PP schools are Princeton SPIA (fully funded and also gives enrolled students a living stipend and health insurance), Harvard HKS, Yale Jackson (also gives good funding).  Other top schools including Columbia SIPA, Uchicago Harris.  It really depends what you want to study and where you want to be.  John Hopkins SAIS has good programs  in DC.  There’s Michigan and Syracuse and many others. 

Some programs have application due dates in December and some in January so take that into consideration.  Princeton SPIA wrote on their blog if you apply before October 30th they will waive the application fee. https://spia.princeton.edu/blogs/interested-learning-more-about-princeton-spia-join-us-information-session

Try to get as much funding as you can (Princeton and Yale give great funding), taking out tons of debt for graduate school is not great.  
good luck!

On 10/6/2022 at 9:56 PM, 78y73m4 said:

Hi all, I am new here and I am looking to apply to graduate schools in January. I wanted some advice on which schools may be best for me to apply to. 

My Profile:

Bachelor's Degree: Public Administration (Distinction)

Associate's Degree: Law and Criminal Justice (Distinction)

Received award for being the top Public Administration student. 

President's List for 5 consecutive years at University.

Cumulative GPA: 3.8/4.0

Work Experience: 1.5-2 years at non-profits in The Bahamas focusing on governance, public policy, civic education, and fundraising.

Member of a Working Group on a National Consultative Committee

Research Experience: Undergraduate Thesis (A grade) - The thesis focused on assessing the attitudes of citizens toward local government performance in The Bahamas using focus groups.

Wrote a paper for a Social Research class assessing the attitudes and experiences of university students on sexual assault and the idea of consent using a survey.

Leadership/Volunteer Experience: 2 years in Student Government Association 

1 year as Club President on Campus 

Started an initiative at work with the hopes of turning it into a larger non-profit focused on making it easier for citizens to understand what is happening at the National Parliament of The Bahamas. 

Chief Delegate for Caribbean Model OAS - Served as Chief Delegate of the University of The Bahamas’ second delegation at the Caribbean Model OAS Assembly representing Mexico.

Youth Parliamentarian - Represented a constituency in The Bahamas making policy-based contributions to resolutions on Mental Health and Gender-Based Violence in The Bahamas.

Radio Show Host - Hosting a weekly show focusing on topical issues in The Bahamas related to politics, the economy, crime, and other socio-economic problems within the country.

Why I want to get into Public Policy: 

The Bahamas faces many challenges in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian and the COVID-19 pandemic. These twin disasters have resulted in what is considered to be a "lost decade" of economic growth after the 2008 financial crisis. Evidently, we face many challenges in the region and social ills such as crime, violence, wealth inequality, and poverty. The magnitude of these problems is all compounded by the lack of proper policy-making, access to data, and skills gaps. 

Therefore, for my graduate education, I want to gather the necessary skills to tackle these issues using data science and policy-making. I am seeking to enhance my quantitative skills to not only analyze the root causes of problems but also to have the ability to predict the effects and outcomes of policy options.

You have a lot of different choices here. It all depends on where you want to be, your career goals, what area of focus you would like to pursue, etc. There are great MPPs at Georgetown, HKS, Princeton, Yale, etc. The list is long! Your profile seems strong. I suggest applying to 5- or 6 to make sure that you do not go through the entire process for nothing. Some strategy is always useful: 1-2 stretch schools, 1-2 where you stand a good chance but competitive, and 1-2 where you will very likely be admitted.