MS DSPP ADMISSIONS AT MCCOURT

Petite123

Question

I am currently in my final year of Undergraduate degree and I am applying for DSPP at McCourt as an international student.

My CGPA is 3.44 but may increase in the coming semesters. Even though at the time of application, it will be 3.44. I am also taking my GRE in November. I have a decent number of internships with government organizations in my resume and I'm super passionate to pursue Data Science for Policy. I was wondering if I have a chance to get admission at McCourt and get funding as well? Is my profile good enough given that I will be a fresh graduate with no full time work experience like most others. What are the other factors that may help boost my profile overall?

4 answers to this question

On 10/7/2022 at 3:43 AM, Petite123 said:

I am currently in my final year of Undergraduate degree and I am applying for DSPP at McCourt as an international student.

My CGPA is 3.44 but may increase in the coming semesters. Even though at the time of application, it will be 3.44. I am also taking my GRE in November. I have a decent number of internships with government organizations in my resume and I'm super passionate to pursue Data Science for Policy. I was wondering if I have a chance to get admission at McCourt and get funding as well? Is my profile good enough given that I will be a fresh graduate with no full time work experience like most others. What are the other factors that may help boost my profile overall?

The minimum requirement for GPA at the graduate level is 3.3. If funding is provided, it will very likely be partial. As for your chances of acceptance (and funding), it will all depends on the quality of your essays (very important), your letters of recommendations (also very important), and your GRE score. Without much information about your internships, it is hard to tell but if you have worked with government organizations it will look very good.

There is also policy interests (they try to make a diverse class), country of origin (also diversity matters here. If there there are 4 others from your country of origin with better stats - they will likely get in and you won't. But if you are from a unique country, you are better off), and other signs of ability to get a job. 

Keep in mind this is all dependent on who else applies. Since the economy isn't doing great, people tend to hide in grad schools (at least in the US - so that doesn't help you).

So I am currently pursuing this course; I feel it's essential for you to get some work experience before applying for the course. And also, for scholarships, they look at your overall profile (including work experience). Most of the students have work experience, and students with a good amount of scholarship have a good amount of work ex. Working for a year or more will also help you figure out your policy interest to an extent. I am not trying to discourage you; I am saying after looking at the competition level in the class. 

On 10/31/2022 at 4:11 PM, freebirdtraveller said:

So I am currently pursuing this course; I feel it's essential for you to get some work experience before applying for the course. And also, for scholarships, they look at your overall profile (including work experience). Most of the students have work experience, and students with a good amount of scholarship have a good amount of work ex. Working for a year or more will also help you figure out your policy interest to an extent. I am not trying to discourage you; I am saying after looking at the competition level in the class. 

Would you say they are a bit more forgiving to international students for work experience? In the past I have seen a lot more international students with less work experience.