Critical Language Scholarship 2023 Applicants

Definol

On 10/15/2022 at 1:02 PM, Dramarama said:

I recieved the scholarship in 2015, so I'm thinking of applying again this year.

I'm also a second-time applicant with a long gap in between, I did mine in 2018 and now I'm a graduate student thinking of applying again. Best of luck!

6 hours ago, betamaz said:

I'm also a second-time applicant with a long gap in between, I did mine in 2018 and now I'm a graduate student thinking of applying again. Best of luck!

Oh wow yes I'm a grad student as well. Did you ever apply for the refresh award? What language are you going for. I'm applying for  Chinese 

14 hours ago, Dramarama said:

Oh wow yes I'm a grad student as well. Did you ever apply for the refresh award? What language are you going for. I'm applying for  Chinese 

I did Korean! I did apply for Refresh a few years ago but I wasn't selected. I taught English in Korea for a bit before starting grad school too. I feel like that might hurt my chances a bit though since ik they try to give preference to people with not as much previous study abroad experience.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:45 AM, betamaz said:

I did Korean! I did apply for Refresh a few years ago but I wasn't selected. I taught English in Korea for a bit before starting grad school too. I feel like that might hurt my chances a bit though since ik they try to give preference to people with not as much previous study abroad experience.

So I did get the refresh recently and wasn't sure if I was ineligible bc of it. But I will just apply and find out!

I'm applying! I did CLS Bangla virtually during COVID, then did Refresh last year. I'm a graduate student now (vs. when I did CLS before I was an undergrad), but since I don't have access to South Asian studies courses, have never been to South Asia, nor did I actually get to do CLS in person, I'm hoping my chances are pretty solid this year. 

Found the application a lot easier now that they merged the two essays and cut the recommendation, to be honest. 

• 2 months later...

hi! applicant for arabic here, super excited that we (hopefully PLEASE) are close to hearing about the results. i've done NSLI-Y before, but i know some of my peers who applied before and didn't get it. so- definitely somewhere between super excited for the chance, and super nervous that i don't make it. just pushing forward till we find out!

anyone else applying for arabic? anything in particular that you're looking forward to studying?

-s

20 hours ago, sapphron said:

hi! applicant for arabic here, super excited that we (hopefully PLEASE) are close to hearing about the results. i've done NSLI-Y before, but i know some of my peers who applied before and didn't get it. so- definitely somewhere between super excited for the chance, and super nervous that i don't make it. just pushing forward till we find out!

anyone else applying for arabic? anything in particular that you're looking forward to studying?

-s

Hey there! I'm also applying for Arabic. It's my first time around, so I'm trying to manage my expectations!

I'm work with refugees, so I really hope to improve my listening/speaking skills. Since most of the Arabic-speaking refugees I work with come from Syria, I'd love the chance to study in Amman, but I would honestly be thrilled to accept any site placement!

Made it as a semi-finalist for Indonesian!

Pleasantly surprised because my academic record is rather poor (3.2 GPA at the time of application from a middling public university) and I’ve already lived in Indonesia for a year studying the language with a scholarship from the Indonesian government, which I thought would be a pretty big negative. I think I wrote some really good essays about how I can use my previous experience to serve as a mentor and cultural guide for the rest of my prospective cohort since I’ve already lived there; guess my unique approach to the questions is what got me over the bar. Maybe Indonesian just isn’t nearly as competitive as most of the other programs? 

So what are the stats and odds now? What percentage of applicants make it through the first phase, and what percentile do we more or less have to be in to pass the second round?

Cheers!

Edited by IndoScholar

@IndoScholar, what I have seen is that approximately 50% of semifinalists get selected as finalisits, with another 25% being selected as alternates. Usually at this stage, it is less about percentile (deciding better vs. worse candidates) and more about creating a diverse and strong cohort. Honestly, having gone through this waiting game each of  the past two years, I would try not to worry about it too much for the next 6 weeks or so. Getting to this stage means you have gone through the hardest filter. You and everyone else at this stage is qualified enough to be selected. Now it just comes down to flipping a coin haha