Critical Language Scholarship 2023 Applicants

Definol

Bangla semifinalist! I felt really good about my application, so I'm glad it worked out. 

Seems like an interesting year, a lot of NSLI-Y and CLS alumni/friends I know were all rejected.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, betamaz said:

Out of curiosity, are the semifinalist informational videos a new thing they added this year, or have they done it in recent years as well? When I first did CLS in 2018, we didn't get anything in between semi and finalist notifications lol

I have been a semifinalist the past two years as well as this year. This is the first time these videos have been sent out in that time.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:12 PM, socrytes said:

I have been a semifinalist the past two years as well as this year. This is the first time these videos have been sent out in that time.

Huh, so it must be a brand new thing then. I can see why they would send them out to make the paperwork process after finalist notifications go more smoothly, but I also definitely got a mini heart attack every time I saw CLS show up in my inbox lol

On 2/19/2023 at 6:49 AM, ouroboros99 said:

Turkish semifinalist:) anxiously awaiting the finalist results. I'll be abroad when I get the results. Does anyone know if I can do the medical evaluation abroad ? 

Congrats on reaching semifinalist and good luck! So to answer your question, I looked back at the medical forms from when I first did CLS and it looks like the main requirement is that the person doing your medical eval has to be a "licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.), licensed Physician's Assistant (P.A.) or licensed Nurse Practitioner (N.P.)" so I think as long as whoever you get it done by falls in this category, you should be fine to do the eval abroad. If you're worried though, I'm sure you can email CLS to double check!

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have been awarded a finalist position (yay!) but it starts the same day as I'm supposed to be in my best friend's wedding. They say there is no flexibility (boo) so I'm afraid I may have to decline the award. 

Has anyone declined and then reapplied and made it as a finalist again?? I know they say it doesn't effect future applications but I'm still worried.

14 hours ago, forp said:

So, I have been awarded a finalist position (yay!) but it starts the same day as I'm supposed to be in my best friend's wedding. They say there is no flexibility (boo) so I'm afraid I may have to decline the award. 

Has anyone declined and then reapplied and made it as a finalist again?? I know they say it doesn't effect future applications but I'm still worried.

I know several people who've reapplied after declining and received finalist status. It's if you accept and drop out then it might impact you negatively. 

What language are you a finalist for? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 10:30 AM, anonimo_21 said:

i’m an alternate for hindi. does anyone know what the waitlist movement is like, how big it is, how likely it is to be promoted etc. ?

I'm in the same boat as an alternate! So as far as I know, there are usually at least a few alternates bumped up in most cohorts. It's impossible to guess the likelihood of getting promoted though - it's based on maintaining diversity in the cohort, so for example if someone drops they'd try to replace them with someone from the same state, major, or other similar background. Hopefully the first round of alternate bumps will happen soon - best of luck!