I'm applying to several different schools across PA and NY for PsyD programs. I am currently finishing up my bachelors in general psych. I understand the concept of an SOP, but I don't know what to do about formatting or what specific details I should or shouldn't include. For example, most of them ask about why I want to pursue a PsyD. Do I talk about mine and my family's ordeals with mental illness that lead me to want to make a difference? Or is that too personal? Is there anywhere on the internet where I might find some good examples? Thank you all. 

• 6 months later...

You can absolutely include your personal experiences! Include your work experiences too and try to make them relevant to what interests you. Your SOP shouldn't sound too sympathetic but should represent that you're human with the potential to grow. Highlight your interests to what the program focuses on and you should be good!