GRE quantitative scores for a non-quantitative person

neener

Good morning,

I am hoping to apply for Fall 2011 after several years out of school. I took the GREs once 3 years ago, and my scores are good but not great (700V, 750Q, 6.0A). I actually haven't made up my mind whether I want to pursue qualitative or quantitative programs...I have a very strong qual background (including a relevant master's degree from a well-known university) but, after working in my field for several years, I think I might prefer to go the quant route (though I don't have much of a math/statistical background at all).

I know that no one can tell me my odds based on my GRE scores, but broadly my question is this: for applicants like me that do not have a strong quantitative background, is the GRE quantitative score particularly crucial?

I'm trying to decide if I should take the GREs again...in my case, I know that I tend to be a good test-taker (guesser!) and am looking at a very very busy fall at work without a huge amount of time for studying, so I'm honestly not sure that I have a real shot at improving on those scores.

Thanks so much for your advice, and I do apologize if this issue is already addressed elsewhere!

n

Good morning,

I am hoping to apply for Fall 2011 after several years out of school. I took the GREs once 3 years ago, and my scores are good but not great (700V, 750Q, 6.0A). I actually haven't made up my mind whether I want to pursue qualitative or quantitative programs...I have a very strong qual background (including a relevant master's degree from a well-known university) but, after working in my field for several years, I think I might prefer to go the quant route (though I don't have much of a math/statistical background at all).

I know that no one can tell me my odds based on my GRE scores, but broadly my question is this: for applicants like me that do not have a strong quantitative background, is the GRE quantitative score particularly crucial?

I'm trying to decide if I should take the GREs again...in my case, I know that I tend to be a good test-taker (guesser!) and am looking at a very very busy fall at work without a huge amount of time for studying, so I'm honestly not sure that I have a real shot at improving on those scores.

Thanks so much for your advice, and I do apologize if this issue is already addressed elsewhere!

n

Well....

Not like I anyone you should listen to but.....it depends on where you went to school for your masters for one. If you had a high GPA like 3.8 or better and the school is somewhat known i would not. Your scores but you in the running at a top ten anywhere so i would not retake. If you have a GPA below 3.7 I would think of retaking. Where are you aiming?

Your scores are good enough for any quant-heavy school, minus Cal-tech or GSB. Making a case that you want to move to quant, even with a qual background, is not only acceptable, it is something that would be seen as a plus at the margins (unless you study PT or something).

So, no, stick with those scores and work on your SOP while you refesh your letter writers' memories of you.

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning,

n

those scores seem pretty amazing to me...

Those are solid scores. Combined with an MA from a well-known program you'll get a serious look.

You'd want to indicate in your application that you are open to quant approaches even though you haven't done much yet. What looks bad is the occasional app that oversells how quant the person wants to be when they haven't yet shown significant effort or inclination in that direction. Or, along similar lines, it would be unwise to list "methods" as one of the major fields you are considering if you haven't done multivariate calculus yet.