Contacting Current Graduate Students

Ramblr

Hi,

I'm applying to Ph.D. programs in Art History this fall. My specialization is late modern and contemporary with a focus on Eastern Europe.

Looking at my list of schools and professors, I thought it might be a good idea to contact a few current students to get their perspectives on programs. (Most schools do list their students' names and emails.) But how does one go about this? What is too much or too little to ask? Obviously, I want to know what it is like to work with Prof. X, but how does one nicely ask if the student regrets doing so? I'm no gossip. I just want to be well informed! I've gotten the scoop from some people I personally know, but that was face to face. I just feel so awkward asking total strangers. Any advice?

Thanks!

From the perspective of a current grad student, if you sent something along the lines of : "Hi, I'm just finishing undergrad at X School, and I'm interested in applying to Your Grad School and working for Your Boss, would you have some time to talk to me about it?" I'd be perfectly happy to e-mail you back and chat.

We were all in the decision stage at one point not too long ago- that, and our departments love us to help with recruiting.

From the perspective of a current grad student, if you sent something along the lines of : "Hi, I'm just finishing undergrad at X School, and I'm interested in applying to Your Grad School and working for Your Boss, would you have some time to talk to me about it?" I'd be perfectly happy to e-mail you back and chat.

We were all in the decision stage at one point not too long ago- that, and our departments love us to help with recruiting.

That's awesome advice. I'm going to try it with a couple schools I'm interested in.