GRE question

Tasadduk

Hi. I'm planning to take GRE for the first time at the end of this October. For those of you who have taken the GRE recently... other than then the usual GRE type questions (i.e. Verbal: Antonyms, Analogy, Sentence Completion, Reading Comprehension... Quantitative: Quant Comp, Problem Solving) were there any new types of questions on any of the two sections?

"Two new question types are included in the computer-based GREĀ® General Test. You may see one new Verbal or one Quantitative question in your test. These new questions will be counted toward examinee scores as soon as an adequate sample of data has been collected."

That's from ETS website, and it is NOT for the revised test of next year. Looks like they added numeric entry in the quantitative, and a new type of reading comprehension on the verbal. Did anyone encounter these types of questions?

Let me know guys. Thanks.

Edited by Tasadduk

I just took the test two weeks ago and did not have any numeric entry questions. I also did not have any of the sentence completion ones where you have two or three columns with three choices and you have to pick the right combination of words. Hope that helps.

I just took the test two weeks ago and did not have any numeric entry questions. I also did not have any of the sentence completion ones where you have two or three columns with three choices and you have to pick the right combination of words. Hope that helps.

Same, and I took it in July. Also, my experimental section was identified.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I'm planning to take GRE for the first time at the end of this October. For those of you who have taken the GRE recently... other than then the usual GRE type questions (i.e. Verbal: Antonyms, Analogy, Sentence Completion, Reading Comprehension... Quantitative: Quant Comp, Problem Solving) were there any new types of questions on any of the two sections?

"Two new question types are included in the computer-based GREĀ® General Test. You may see one new Verbal or one Quantitative question in your test. These new questions will be counted toward examinee scores as soon as an adequate sample of data has been collected."

That's from ETS website, and it is NOT for the revised test of next year. Looks like they added numeric entry in the quantitative, and a new type of reading comprehension on the verbal. Did anyone encounter these types of questions?

Let me know guys. Thanks.

Does anyone have any more, preferably definitive, information on this? I have a friend who took the test within the last month and said the same things people have mentioned in this thread: Experimental section were identified (it was an essay), there was no numeric entry, and no multiple sentence completions. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Edited by will415

Does anyone have any more, preferably definitive, information on this? I have a friend who took the test within the last month and said the same things people have mentioned in this thread: Experimental section were identified (it was an essay), there was no numeric entry, and no multiple sentence completions. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

I searched and searched for an answer to this question before I took my GRE's but could only find the things you mentioned. I can't confirm any official statement of there not being any of the new questions until the new version, but I can confirm that there was absolutely none of that (numeric entry/multiple sentence etc.) on the exam I took a few weeks ago.

If I were you or anybody else walking into a GRE exam anytime soon, I'd be fairly confident that I won't see any of the new questions on the test (unless it's the experimental section, which I'm sure is always identified now). Obviously be prepared for it if they decide to spring it on you, but try not to waste your time fretting about it like I did.

I took the test on Sept 17 and did indeed have

one numeric entry problem

one multiple fill-in-the-blank-with-the-right-word sentence completion.

and an experimental Verbal section with $250 prize, which I declined to take.

The numeric entry and multiple column fill in the blank questions are part of the "new GRE" which will not be given until August of 2011. While you can have an unidentified experimental section or an identified research section neither of these will count. However, there is sometimes no way to know which unidentified section is real so take everything as if it counts. That being said, I can say with complete confidence that you will not receive any numeric entry or multiple column fill in the blank questions in a section that counts if you take the test before August 2011. I hope that helps.

Regards,

Taylor Dearr

The numeric entry and multiple column fill in the blank questions are part of the "new GRE" which will not be given until August of 2011. While you can have an unidentified experimental section or an identified research section neither of these will count. However, there is sometimes no way to know which unidentified section is real so take everything as if it counts. That being said, I can say with complete confidence that you will not receive any numeric entry or multiple column fill in the blank questions in a section that counts if you take the test before August 2011. I hope that helps.

Regards,

Taylor Dearr

Maybe I'm confused. I've taken the test three times in the last year, and one of those times, I had an unidentified experimental section.

Maybe I'm confused. I've taken the test three times in the last year, and one of those times, I had an unidentified experimental section.

Sorry. I will try to clarify. You can have an unidentified experimental section that appears during the course of the exam without any notice, but that section still does not count toward your score. However, you want to take every unidentified section as if it counts because sometimes you can't be sure which unidentified section is experimental. Is that what you were asking?

Regards,

Taylor

Tdearr wrote: However, you want to take every unidentified section as if it counts because sometimes you can't be sure which unidentified section is experimental. Is that what you were asking?

I'm not the original poster. I only meant to say that when I reported "no experimental section" but also reported "experimental questions were present" ... I must have been confusing two different administrations of the GRE.

I took it in mid Sept. The experimental section was clearly marked at the end. It was optional, with the possible $250 prize, as someone else mentioned. It was a verbal section, with boxes to touch (as I recall) rather than dots to click on. And in some cases, it asked you for the best 2 answers (out of 6).

Edited by Henry Hudson

I took it in mid Sept. The experimental section was clearly marked at the end. It was optional, with the possible $250 prize, as someone else mentioned. It was a verbal section, with boxes to touch (as I recall) rather than dots to click on. And in some cases, it asked you for the best 2 answers (out of 6).

That section was a test of the new GRE format, and it highlights something important that ETS has made known about the new format. In the new format, Xing boxes indicates that there may be multiple answers (i.e. check all that apply), putting dots in circles indicates that there can only be one right answer. This doesn't mean that a box question can't also have a single correct answer, but you would have to discern that for yourself and the question will still give you the option of checking multiple boxes. Questions with circles will only allow you to select one answer.

So, an easy indicator of question type on the NEW GRE (only GREs administered in August 2011 and beyond) is that problems with square boxes next to the answers may have multiple correct answers and problems with circles next to the answers will only have a single answer. Questions of both types will appear on the new exam. Good thing to bring up Henry, thanks!

Regards,

Taylor Dearr